Why become a member? ×

I really want to build a Deakey bass...where do I start?

Edenburgh

Ok here's what a want to build : the last version of the John Deacon Precision the black precision, rosewood neck, black pickguard, tv logo, gold hardware.

My question for you people : what's the best place to start as the donor bass?

I've thought about...

My own '74 P. (Currently sunburst).  Fook, that £2.5k of bass that's gonna get an unsolicited respray.   Might be a pricey folly.   Then add gold HW.

Or

A MIM Nate Mendel and strip the C.A.R and respray black.  Then add gold HW.

Any other options?  I'm looking to be as accurate as possible so although I'm open to buying even a squier and putting on a new logo, I'd have truss rod adjuster at the wrong end and that would really bug me...

Price for the project, let's not go custom shop silly but I'd like to do it for less than £1500.  I intend to gig it.  Any ideas?

• Like 1

I’d go allparts body and neck, probably pickguard too.

the bridge was a Schaller 3d Roller in gold, and then some hipshot hb2 in gold (unless you find gold fender ones, pretty unlikely).

a 62 reissue fender pickup and Kiogon loom…

and then someone will have a good decal maker - be mindful a lot of the “tv logo” decals have some weird distortion as if it’s been scanned wrong…

Looking forward to seeing this.

A Nate neck would be a winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm doing a similar build atm. I've used 2nd hand Northwest Guitar parts body and neck (£200 ). 62 custon shop fender pickup (£70)

2nd hand schaller 3D bridge (£45), Kiogon loom (cant remember), ebay scratchplate (£10)

Got my usual luthier putting it together, this is a tribute to my first ever P bass. Approx 1980, black with a maple board. I found a video of my band from 1988, with me playing the black bass. It looked superb and sounded great, so I thought I would recreate it

I just to go and collect it, as it's made now

• Like 2

23 hours ago, fretmeister said:

If you search in the Build Diary bit of the forum a few people have made one.

I think @Dood has done 2 of them!

Ok, here's what you need! @bassman_feb_64 will also want to read this too. Sorry Alan I meant to be in touch!

You're best option is to source a Fender non-export CIJ PB70-70US BK. This was actually a limited edition colour of the usual olympic white PB70 (US) available from Fender Japan. The non-export models have a few things about them that makes them better in my opinion too. The bass is black and may come with a mirror scratch guard (very Phil Lynott) but I have seen the odd version that comes with black. Possibly an after market upgrade. Mine I had to source the correct 70's scratch guard.

These basses come with chrome hardware, John Deacon's upgrades (that came with his black respray around 1985) includes a Schaller 3D bridge and very likely Schaller tuning keys, though I much prefer Gotoh's FB30 (Or the Wilkinson equivalent) simply because I find the longer key shafts more appealing on a 70's P - think pre '76 nickel tuners and you'll know what I am talking about.

Bass Player Magazine did a whole thing on John Deacon that I helped write, if it helps. 

Funnily, the Nate Mendel is an option as it's the next best thing, but the PB70-US is just a far better bass, I only wish it came with an Ash body. - On the subject of Ash body, if you wanted to capture John Deacon's early years, then I'd recommend the Fender non-export PB70-70US Ash RW which came with a sunburst finish, as his two precision basses were, stock (the TV script version and the silver spaghetti logo bass)

For my own basses, I am lucky enough to have a natural 76 Precision, which is just delicious and my next Deacon build is going to be a black version. I think this will be number 4, I can't remember! I sold my first black P to a lovely chap here on BassChat and miss it dearly! Such is life and bills eh!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dood said:

Ok, here's what you need! @bassman_feb_64 will also want to read this too. Sorry Alan I meant to be in touch!

You're best option is to source a Fender non-export CIJ PB70-70US BK. This was actually a limited edition colour of the usual olympic white PB70 (US) available from Fender Japan. The non-export models have a few things about them that makes them better in my opinion too. The bass is black and may come with a mirror scratch guard (very Phil Lynott) but I have seen the odd version that comes with black. Possibly an after market upgrade. Mine I had to source the correct 70's scratch guard.

These basses come with chrome hardware, John Deacon's upgrades (that came with his black respray around 1985) includes a Schaller 3D bridge and very likely Schaller tuning keys, though I much prefer Gotoh's FB30 (Or the Wilkinson equivalent) simply because I find the longer key shafts more appealing on a 70's P - think pre '76 nickel tuners and you'll know what I am talking about.

Bass Player Magazine did a whole thing on John Deacon that I helped write, if it helps. 

Funnily, the Nate Mendel is an option as it's the next best thing, but the PB70-US is just a far better bass, I only wish it came with an Ash body. - On the subject of Ash body, if you wanted to capture John Deacon's early years, then I'd recommend the Fender non-export PB70-70US Ash RW which came with a sunburst finish, as his two precision basses were, stock (the TV script version and the silver spaghetti logo bass)

For my own basses, I am lucky enough to have a natural 76 Precision, which is just delicious and my next Deacon build is going to be a black version. I think this will be number 4, I can't remember! I sold my first black P to a lovely chap here on BassChat and miss it dearly! Such is life and bills eh!

@bassman_feb_64 @Edenburgh - thank me later :)https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384722735901?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D171f99b4d9184258a38c72fd118d9ad8%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D384722735901%26itm%3D384722735901%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DFender+Japan&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A10d368a3-8b1f-11ec-812d-12674ee53e80|parentrq%3Ae82a876c17e0a4d34c26b0f6ffec77ff|iid%3A1 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/02/2022 at 10:18, Edenburgh said:

Although I initially ruled it out, I am still toying with the idea of respraying my (all original apart from the tone pot) '74 Precision.

😱 NO! Back away from the cliff edge!

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Update : taking stock of the "don't defile the family heirloom" vibe from you good people, I've sourced the donor bass elsewhere!

A Highway One Precision - currently sunburst but hopefully won't cause too much consternation here with a black respray.l!

Still now to get all the gold bits but it's a TV logo with the truss adjustment at the body end.  Also I'm never going to be passing it off as something it isnt (e.g an Encore with a Fender Logo) - something that never sat well with me.

Further updates to follow...

PX211121377290001f.jpg

• Like 3