Why become a member? ×

Rack Pre-amps. Unpopular?

GremlinAndy

This stuff looks like it belongs in a server room! I bet there's some serious power and tone from these racks, I remember the SWR with shed loads of knobs being advertised and reviewed in bass mags as THE big thing. I've never had rack gear, and even looking at this I'm just not tempted. I bet it all sounds amazing, but is also heavy and requires a level of technical skill and knowledge I don't want to invest time in learning to put it all together. I don't know if that's typical of most, but that's why I don't have any of it. Now pedal versions of that SWR stuff would very much interested me....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Now pedal versions of that SWR stuff would very much interested me....

Me too! And I can’t understand why someone like OneControl hasn’t cloned something like the Redhead preamp, or why Fender haven’t used the patents they own to do something similar.

On 18/02/2022 at 19:47, uk_lefty said:

Now pedal versions of that SWR stuff would very much interested me....

Don’t say that, took me years to get hold of an interstellar overdrive and I‘ve just found out my Ernie ball jr volume pedal works as an overdrive swell pedal for it…🤣😂

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Waddycall said:

If you want to sell it (?) I could be interested dependant on price etc but would like to give my current set up a spin with the band and see how it fairs. Can’t do that for a about four weeks unfortunately 🙄

I'm in no rush - if you are interested drop me a pm when you like 👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/02/2022 at 10:39, Rich said:

I also had a Focusrite Platinum Trakmaster Pro for a while. Beautifully pure-sounding, lovely EQ and still the best compressor I've ever used. Channel strips are brilliant if you want an uncoloured sound.

Thanks for the heads up on these Rich. Just got one from eBay for £41 👍😀 (plus shipping).

Sounds ace.

CCD18A45-D330-47E4-82B8-32A2C9DBCECA.jpeg

Edited by Waddycall
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, itu said:

About to buy an interstellar OD. Works as a practise amp and a preamp.

Fantastic bit of kit if you don’t get the pedals with it I use an ernie ball volume pedal with a stereo jack lead plugged into both sides of the pedal, full control over the amount of drive you get 

Edited by Bunion
  • Thanks 1

I've been using rack pre-amps since the early eighties when I built my first SS power amp. Since then I've enjoyed a few different units, some of my own build.

My current amp is a 2KW capable Class D stereo power amp. I built a three tube two channel pre-amp to drive it. It has served me well. 

• Like 1

Just now, LukeFRC said:

Have I remembered right that the v type and F1x are variations on the same fender design?

That is the accepted wisdom, yes. Along with the BBE preamp and the Hartke whatever 500 and 1000 jobbies. I am sure there are others.

• Thanks 1

On 12/02/2022 at 14:49, BassBod said:

E84B4F7F-7F08-4C04-8350-70DFDAF48BA5.thumb.jpeg.980722180d9140dba6fbc557507ae899.jpegThis is my current selection…all good stuff.  It’s great to have these different flavours, although once set up I have to admit it all just sounds like me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ahh, I too still have my much-used and much-loved Trace Elliot GP11 Mark 4 preamp, identical to yours as pictured above; great sound and completely bomb-proof construction.
Haven't used it in anger for ages, but my emotional attachment to it probably outweighs the paltry sum it would be sellable for. It's certainly earned the houseroom for a quiet retirement!

• Like 2