Why become a member? ×

Rack Pre-amps. Unpopular?

GremlinAndy

I’ve noticed that it’s very seldom 19” rack pre’s come up for sale in the classifieds.

Are they generally unliked by the community?  
I love the versatility of being able to get the Pre sound I want, then to amplify it with whatever I want.

ok…  currently I’m favouring my Thunderfunk TF750 but I have a decent selection of rack pre’s to choose from coupled with a Powersoft 3002.

I’m always on the lookout, but they don’t seem to come up very often at all.

it makes me wonder if there aren’t many out there, or if people hold on to them more…

just musing over it.

• Like 2

I use an EBS HD350 head with an EBS ProLine 410 as my main amp for rehearsals, but I gig with a 19" preamp straight to the desk. In my rack are an Ampeg SVP-CL and an SVP-Pro, both brilliant tube preamps with the classic Ampeg tone. The CL is the preamp section of the SVT Classic in a 1HE housing, and the Pro is the preamp section of the SVT2 Pro in a 1HE space with the graphic EQ and a drive section. I also have an SWR Grand Prix (Prix / Pre, get it? :lol:) which is very nice but which has some slight issues. I have barely used it since getting it, it needs some love and needs to get used more!  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GremlinAndy said:

I’ve noticed that it’s very seldom 19” rack pre’s come up for sale in the classifieds.

Are they generally unliked by the community?  
I love the versatility of being able to get the Pre sound I want, then to amplify it with whatever I want.

I did the separate pre/power thing before and would happily do it again. I had a Trace GP12SMX pre (my favourite preamp ever) and a Soundtech class D power amp, gave me the basic Trace sound at a much lighter weight.

It'd be fun to have two very different pre's in the rack and make up a foot-switching system between them. Mmmm... got me thinking now... 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

I prefer rack pres to stomp/floor units (though I do sometimes use the latter, notably an Agi Tonehammer).  After some really exhaustive testing (genuinely, a lot of money lost!), I worked out that I tend to prefer SS rack pres.  My favourite is the Warwick Hellborg, for me it's a stellar, ultra-clean and forensic pre.  I also use an Alembic SF2 - a strange but brilliant device indeed and one for which there's quite a learning process.  Another favourite - somewhere between a floor-box and rack device is the Millennia TD-1.  Superb in every respect and mastering quality EQ.  It also has a valve path should one wish to use it.  An honourable mention also to the Warm Audio Pultec clone - the only all valve rack pre that I really got on with.  I've had a Noble and that was lovely but not really what I wanted (as with the DB680).  As I said, quite a journey, and an expensive one.   

• Like 1

I also had a Focusrite Platinum Trakmaster Pro for a while. Beautifully pure-sounding, lovely EQ and still the best compressor I've ever used. Channel strips are brilliant if you want an uncoloured sound.

Edited by Rich
NOT the Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I also had a Focusrite Platinum Trakmaster Pro for a while. Beautifully pure-sounding, lovely EQ and still the best compressor I've ever used. Channel strips are brilliant if you want an uncoloured sound.

Oooh, those look nice and not a ridiculous price second hand.  I agree entirely on channel strips for pure and uncoloured - I like a nice compressor too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

No kidding! :lol: 

Yes, things got quite badly out of hand for a while.  I sort of went stereo.  A bit of order restored now, though the sight of a lovely rack pre makes me go a bit weak.

00AC8235-94BC-41A7-8647-85729C494406.jpeg

Edited by three
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Being particularly averse to noisy fans, I picked up a rackmount fanless class-AB power amp with the intention of pairing it up with a rackmount preamp, as I also don't like the idea of fiddly little boxes on the floor. Eventually I realised that I wasn't going to find the time to build the preamp myself and there weren't any affordable commercial ones around with all the functions I wanted, and then a fanless Laney Class-D head came up in the for sale forum, so I ditched the rack idea (and need at some point to get round to ditching the class-AB power amp, which someone else might as well get the benefit of… possibly for anchoring their boat).

• Haha 1

One of the best bass sounds I`ve heard was the bassist from Spunge, he has a rackmount Tech21 RBI (basically Sansamp Bass Driver) into a Marshall VBA400 into two of the Marshall VBC412 cabs. He said he uses the RBI for the eq, the VBA just as the power amp. Truly awesome tone.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Having been a user of rack gear since the late 80s, I ditched all of mine a couple of years ago for a Helix Floor.

Rack gear sounds like a good idea until you have lift it all. Even with lightweight stuff in it my 6U rack case was only just a one person lift.

Agreed.   It’s lightweight until 3u then starts getting unwieldy!   My rule is always to get my rack gear down to 3u.    

Edited by GremlinAndy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, GremlinAndy said:

Agreed.   It’s lightweight until 3u then starts getting unwieldy!   My rule is always to get my rack gear down to 3u.    

My current one is 4U... I could probably get away with 3, but the amp is a Shuttle so this means the case is still pretty light. I had a well-loaded 6U at one time, now that sucker was heavy!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, GremlinAndy said:

Before the 6U, I had 8U of stuff in one of those metal-covered plywood rack cases. Not only was it unfeasibly heavy but all the weight was distributed towards the front of the rack making it even more unwieldy.

• Haha 1

When I was gigging, rack kit was simply more useful and easy to transport, I used the Bass Pod XT Pro for a few years, then the GED2112 Tech21 preamp with a Crown power amp and a Barefaced Big Twin, but after I stopped playing live they took up valuable space and slots in my small studio, so I swapped them out for an HX Stomp and a QSC K12.2. I think I sold the GED2112 for pretty much what I paid for it, same with the Big Twin but for a few quid, the Line 6 not so much...

My Packhorse 4U rack case is now a cable and connectors box in the loft.

IMG_3949.thumb.JPG.e72287bb53d4418b1d5c546c74be5c78.JPG

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rich said:

How does the eq work on those? All i can see is the mid scoop function?

Edited by Waddycall

10 minutes ago, Waddycall said:

How does the eq work on those? All i can see is the mid scoop function?

Apologies, it turns out the one I had was the plain Trakmaster, not the Pro.

This is a screen grab of the manual section of the Trakmaster. Apologies for the poor quality.

image.thumb.png.49e75bf66a0634d55f0ddc00e7857a12.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, it counts as a rack mount rig, …but my original question was about rack mount preamps
Still, I’ll never object to seeing images of peoples rigs!   It’s always a pleasure! 

I bet that sounds pretty amazeballs too!  🤘

Edited by GremlinAndy