Why become a member? ×

Aaaand…ACTION!!!

AndyTravis

8 hours ago, NikNik said:

That's the worst string height I've seen on a Rick with no tail-lift. Neck failure at body join? Hard to tell. Can't see any separation on the back.

That's the classic 'folding Ric'... the neck pickup route is way too big and takes a huge chunk out the neck/body wood; then string tension slowly folds the bass around the neck 'joint'.

Add in a bit of tail lift and you have what we see here.

It can be fixed by inserting a hard maple block to fill the pickup route, then re-routing a new, smaller, pickup size hole.

My 4003 started to go this way and I ran out of adjustment on the bridge saddle height - as the tailpiece was also showing some lift I replaced it with a Hipshot Ric bridge (a simple drop-in replacement).

This eliminated the tail lift and also allowed the saddles to go much lower, restoring a playable action.

Lighter gauge strings (40 - 100), as factory fitted, do help.

Edited by Bigguy2017
grammar
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

That's the classic 'folding Ric'... the neck pickup route is way too big and takes a huge chunk out the neck/body wood; then string tension slowly folds the bass around the neck 'joint'.

Add in a bit of tail lift and you have what we see here.

It can be fixed by inserting a hard maple block to fill the pickup route, then re-routing a new, smaller, pickup size hole.

My 4003 started to go this way and I ran out of adjustment on the bridge saddle height - as the tailpiece was also showing some lift I replaced it with a Hipshot Ric bridge (a simple drop-in replacement).

This eliminated the tail lift and also allowed the saddles to go much lower, restoring a playable action.

Lighter gauge strings (40 - 100), as factory fitted, do help.

I've seen that done with the insert.

As for strings, I always ran 40-95 on Rics.

Tempted to post this on the 'Waffensite to watch the apologia.

On 08/02/2022 at 18:06, AndyTravis said:

Wow.

If there weren’t pictures of the back of the bass, I’d say the neck was snapped…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rickenbacker-4003-bass-/115241658412?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

F00250DF-A1A4-4018-8237-B612891C5782.png

973CF926-84F9-4B53-B39F-9CE285AAD1F7.png

I've actually played 2 new Rick's like that in shops. 

Funny both of those shops now closed. Probably couldn't sell anything as most things were horrible to play in there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Twincam said:

I've actually played 2 new Rick's like that in shops. 

Funny both of those shops now closed. Probably couldn't sell anything as most things were horrible to play in there. 

Two, you say? 

I thought RIC sorted this issue a while back, unless that rout there is still kinda deep. Could it also be wood that hasn't been dried out properly?

Saddles look pretty slammed to me - loads of protruding thread on the adjusters. Inclined to think the neck's bowed - the strings appear to be fairly distant from the board in the (admittedly blurry) pic showing the fretboard edge up to about the 4th fret. Might not be all that's going on, I've seen a good few Ricks (& accurate copies) with that collapsy neck pickup route thing going on.

The photos don't help here at all, do they?  To the sellers credit, he is selling an Ampeg head a fridge.

Thinking back, I used to work with a chap who owned an old Rickenbacker; about a year/eighteen months before my brief dalliance with a 4003, I borrowed it for an hour one lunchtime for a noodle and the set up was even worse than the eBay seller's bass...the action was easily a centimetre or more mid-neck.  The sellers strings look perilously close to the neck pickup cover too.

It could be a combination of needing truss rod adjustment, or the dreaded neck-lift; now, 4003 don't tend to be prone to neck lift, so there may be hope.

However, the asking price is way too high; I'm tempted to ping the seller a "How much would you like for that £1000 bass?" message, as I don't have a 2000's Ric.