Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass product: Exponent 500

fretmeister

Haven't had chance to check the video yet, but its a little aesthetically underwhelming.  Not that it matters, but still, Darkglass tend to care about such things usually.  Visually the same as any of their 500w amps.

17 minutes ago, Kev said:

Haven't had chance to check the video yet, but its a little aesthetically underwhelming.  

+1 to that...

No "X" option in the drive section seems a bit of an oversight...

It'll sell like hotcakes I would imagine though...

Isn’t this just the same as the TC TonePrint Amps where you could load up the TC pedal range? I’m not really sure how they could’ve spent 2 years ‘developing’ the concept of an amp with built-in effects…

Edited by skej21
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Haven't had chance to check the video yet, but its a little aesthetically underwhelming.  Not that it matters, but still, Darkglass tend to care about such things usually.  Visually the same as any of their 500w amps.

The "e500" logo is remarkably pants too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a shame if it's as it appears.  When Doug was running the company, he was always adament that Darkglass wouldn't release anything that already exists in the market unless its a significant improvement or something new.  I don't feel like this is something that would have qualified as that before.

• Like 2

I've always liked the Darkglass aesthetic, but I'm kinda waiting on them releasing something that doesn't cater to a modern 'metally' (for want of a batter phrase) audience. Maybe I'm just being an idiot and they know their audience and are maximising it, but I'd love to try their take on a clean, more neutral amp that doesn't focus/cater towards heavier styles, as they clearly know their stuff and make high quality gear.

1 minute ago, 40hz said:

I've always liked the Darkglass aesthetic, but I'm kinda waiting on them releasing something that doesn't cater to a modern 'metally' (for want of a batter phrase) audience. Maybe I'm just being an idiot and they know their audience and are maximising it, but I'd love to try their take on a clean, more neutral amp that doesn't focus/cater towards heavier styles, as they clearly know their stuff and make high quality gear.

I mean to be fair to them, you've just described this release with that 😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kev said:

It's a shame if it's as it appears.  When Doug was running the company, he was always adament that Darkglass wouldn't release anything that already exists in the market unless its a significant improvement or something new.  I don't feel like this is something that would have qualified as that before.

Same mistakes as the Aguilar guys I think. Start working with greedy distributors who drive up the prices and stop caring about the quality of the product. When you see the Senior Leadership of these companies leaving, it’s clear that there’s a reason (usually that those who remain want to run the company in a way that goes against their ethos). It’s a shame because both companies were excellent in the early years!

20 minutes ago, Kev said:

I mean to be fair to them, you've just described this release with that 😂

That's fair enough (I watched more of the first video, you're quite right). However, the Darkglass  produced video is all overdriven bass, aggressive music styles and even an obligatory Dingwall! 

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Agreed that it's not that sexy, but I think on a gig the uncluttered look and LED rings around the controls will make it quick and easy to make adjustments on the fly even on dark stages. And the contrast of the black knobs against the silver make background add to this too, so while it's a bit of a munter I think it makes a lot of sense from a utilitarian perspective. 

Edited by Osiris
clarity
  • Like 2

Bass the World hasn't really alleviated concerns by saying in their launch video that a lot of effects are riddled with glitches and need work.

I don't know how much resource Darkglass are putting into the digital side.  They promised a lot of exciting things to come when they launched the ADAM, but over a year after launch all they appear to have introduced is a noise gate simulator and 3 extra presets.

Blimey. Lots of negativity on here so far, but then again I guess this place isn't brimming with the type of people darkglass stuff tends to appeal to.

This is actually kind of my dream amp. I love darkglass stuff in general, don't care about built in overdrive in a solid state amp (would rather have modular effects), want lots of versatility - DI, cab sim, aux, headphones, etc.

This has all that, with the added bonus of the effects modelling, which I'd see more as a way to try out a bunch of stuff, rather than as a replacement for a pedal board.

Obviously I've no idea if it's any good in real life, but in terms of what it's offering, I'm very interested.

Unfortunately, I don't currently have £900 to drop on an amp, so it'll remain hypothetical.

• Like 1

I have an A/O 900, honestly thought it was going to be a revolutionary solution to my tone needs, but it wasn't and it's ended up that I just use the poweramp side with a GED2112 or dUg plugged in.  My ears did prick up earlier today when I saw this, 500w or 900w is academic, but the tech just seems to reflect what TC Electronic were doing with their TonePrint kit a few years ago and what Line6 were trying to achieve two decades ago.

Realistically, the natural conclusion is that Darkglass just need to bring out a small-box poweramp with a lone volume control on it.  No tone controls, just let your phone control everything.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

Blimey. Lots of negativity on here so far, but then again I guess this place isn't brimming with the type of people darkglass stuff tends to appeal to.

This is actually kind of my dream amp. I love darkglass stuff in general, don't care about built in overdrive in a solid state amp (would rather have modular effects), want lots of versatility - DI, cab sim, aux, headphones, etc.

This has all that, with the added bonus of the effects modelling, which I'd see more as a way to try out a bunch of stuff, rather than as a replacement for a pedal board.

Obviously I've no idea if it's any good in real life, but in terms of what it's offering, I'm very interested.

Unfortunately, I don't currently have £900 to drop on an amp, so it'll remain hypothetical.

I am not a Darkglass user, but I do feel their market is saturated with a very similar high gain tone. Dingwalls and this high gain.

I love high gain, but personally I prefer the grind from an Orange or Ampeg (the Tech 21 pedals nail this).

I am not really sure who this is aimed at. It's very expensive; it's like an expensive take on the TC toneprints.

I'd rather use a HX Stomp into the power section of a something like a Genzler or Mesa Boogie. 

• Like 5

Its pretty clever in terms of what it can do, at least in theory. It is clearly designed for those how are familiar and comfortable with working with technology and digital processing. 

However, 'in the studio' I can achieve the results I want with with BIAS FX/Amplitube without the need for a physical amp and live I prefer having my pedals at my feet and physically in place. So this amp is clearly not for me, even it was I would probably wait six months for the inevitable E800 version which will have more features (a pre/post FX 'master' five band graphic EQ or something) and the ability to footswitch the various 'pedals' on and off. 

Darkglass have a defined audience and every one of their releases caters to that audience and they have a constant stream of products released every year to cater to/milk that audience. The gear however is generally really good (I have three pedals) and to a certain extent I do applaud them for not sitting still and continually to evolve their product line.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2022 at 12:05, Sibob said:

I'm sure it's an excellent amp, and the DG crew know what they're doing VERY well.......but yes, the e500 logo/font is AWFUL, along with no 'Darkglass' or 'Exponent' on the front, very odd branding choices.

Si

It’s electric car style branding on an amp. They’ve gone from the Apple design aesthetic to Nissan Leaf eco charm!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

On 09/02/2022 at 12:11, Pea Turgh said:

I knew it reminded me of something…

5FAD26DC-FFAE-477A-8BF5-9E70FB0AB0DD.jpeg

I had the 61 key version of that about 15 years ago.

Is Doug not involved with Darkglass anymore? From watching the reviews, it does seem more than a little underwhelming to say the least, especially being almost £900.