Why become a member? ×

P Bass content - USA pickups and custom Ki0gon Loom vs Squier pickups and stock loom

spacecowboy

Can you tell the difference? Do you have a preference?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. USA pickups and custom loom or Squier pickups and stock loom

• Bass 1 is the USA and custom loom
    • Bass 2 is the USA and custom loom
    • EH? they both sound the same...

So today I received some USA p bass pickups and a Ki0gon loom, I quickly recorded some sound files of the Squier stock pickups and loom before swapping them out and then installed the new pickups and loom and then recorded the same sound files again to A / B the results...

My challenge to you fine folk is, can you tell which bass has the stock pups and loom, and which has the "upgraded USA and Ki0gon" let me know in the poll.

The run down of the audio track is - 

Bass 1 then Bass 2 with tone open

Bass 1 then Bass 2 with tone half

Bass 1 then Bass 2 with tone off

and then the same again with open strings and harmonics. 

I know which I prefer, but which do you like?

Edited by spacecowboy

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I find the first bass sounds slightly brighter. Given that I’d say that was the Squier, but this based upon my own basses where the Squiers have been toppier than their US cousins.

I second this. Usually the cheaper Fenders have a brighter sound.

Bass 2 seemed to have a slightly more pronounced tone roll off so I would say that’s the custom loom. With the tone open there wasn’t much between them. Bass 2 maybe had slightly more clarity.

However, I’m thinking it’s hardly worth the effort to upgrade because of the negligible difference.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacecowboy said:

Thanks everyone for having a listen and a vote!

Bass 1 has the USA pickups and Ki0gon loom and like a few of you I might actually prefer the original Squier stuff! 

😆

I have to say I am surprised by this. Just shows too how letting our ears contribute to making decisions on instruments is something we shouldn`t ignore.

If the theory is that tone is in the fingers, then your fingers, guided by your ears, tried to the produce the same noise with both set ups.

What we need is an in depth interview with your fingers asking them which set up made it easier for them to make the tone your ears were calling for 😬

• Haha 1

To my ears 2 has oversaturated lows. 1 sounds tighter and will give less trouble in live and recording situations.

2 would come in to their own in music with dominant overdrive/distortion guitars I think.

1 for funk/soul/jazz/pop. 2 for metal/reggae/grunge.

I thought number 2 sounded a little thinner, especially on the open notes that were allowed to ring a bit longer.  That said, both tones are cool and I would be happy with either!  I suspect that the Kiogon loom will last longer and be slightly more robust than the Squier stock loom tho - which is definitely a consideration for a gigging bass.