Why become a member? ×

Are you good enough to play a Fodera?

Rayman

5 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I discovered this when I bought my first "good" gear. Every fluff, squeak and fumble came through very clearly. I was shocked. Stuff I'd been getting away with for years stood out like a sore thumb. I had to reassess my playing to bring it up to the level of my gear.

I would say with something like a Fodera (based on my limited experience of having played one) is that the build quality actually makes it physically easier to play cleaner. I remember Phil Nixon used to tell naysayers to sit down and play one and that things they found difficult on their own basses would be easier to pull off on a Fodera. 

• Like 2

I managed all Fodera custom orders into the UK for a few years. 

It was always really interesting to sit in the middle between musicians and luthiers and try to interpret what each were saying and, more importantly, wanted from an instrument. 

I ended up owning at least five and each one was hugely different from each other. Not sure I ever had a favourite but there was one stunner that I ordered personally which was reviewed professionally. 

I loved that bass but was offered ‘silly money’ for it and sold it. Most expensive bass I’ve ever gigged down the local pub though 😂

I still have one that comes out to be played now and then. It’s from the New Standard series, predecessor to the Standard range. Sits somewhere between the customs and the Standards. 

Not especially flashy in terms of woods but it’s really nice to play and certainly one of the basses that ‘allows’ me to play better. Not to the degree that my Ritter does but certainly makes a difference in how fluently I can manage bings that might otherwise be a bit tricky for me. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, molan said:

I managed all Fodera custom orders into the UK for a few years. 

It was always really interesting to sit in the middle between musicians and luthiers and try to interpret what each were saying and, more importantly, wanted from an instrument. 

I ended up owning at least five and each one was hugely different from each other. Not sure I ever had a favourite but there was one stunner that I ordered personally which was reviewed professionally. 

I loved that bass but was offered ‘silly money’ for it and sold it. Most expensive bass I’ve ever gigged down the local pub though 😂

I still have one that comes out to be played now and then. It’s from the New Standard series, predecessor to the Standard range. Sits somewhere between the customs and the Standards. 

Not especially flashy in terms of woods but it’s really nice to play and certainly one of the basses that ‘allows’ me to play better. Not to the degree that my Ritter does but certainly makes a difference in how fluently I can manage bings that might otherwise be a bit tricky for me. 

Do you have any photo's of that one that you sold. I do love a Fodera pic.

I love my Ritter and am so glad you agreed to sell it to me. It is a phenomenal good bass.

Is your current on the red one, or did you sell that?

EDIT: Just remembered 1501 is for sale here 🤦‍♂️

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

13 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Do you have any photo's of that one that you sold. I do love a Fodera pic.

I love my Ritter and am so glad you agreed to sell it to me. It is a phenomenal good bass.

Is your current on the red one, or did you sell that?

EDIT: Just remembered 1501 is for sale here 🤦‍♂️

The £12K one at the Dog & Duck”

Paul Smith shirt was an inheritance from my best mate & it somehow became my gigging outfit for a while 😂

2BE2CE76-6D06-4E79-8FEF-8E441A7ABE59.jpeg

Edited by molan
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, molan said:

Had a ‘proper’ Yin Yang for a while as well:

BF65EB72-B76C-47E3-9EFD-A1CD929DC9D4.jpeg

Nice. As I think we've discussed before, I had a Standard Yin Yang for a while which was great, but then I decided to get a Monarch Special that I had seen for sale.

Completely different basses, the Yin Yang being a P/J and the Special being dual coil.

I then came across a Monarch Deluxe which again had a P/J, which I think I prefer and have had that ever since. It's an absolute joy.

IMG_2566.png.f0efa51ea883d10126de7d86c330f0e8.png

IMG_1021.png.204fbdc395d309f5af2c6e097e359354.png

IMG_5752.png.5b7431d0f5614f792593b75f250bdbcc.png

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Yep they are pretty bland:

1240B9FC-8531-47F8-88C5-A6ED7C4BA295.jpeg

AF494CBC-FA99-4E56-A74D-0E4A8E5FC645.jpeg

B1BC3BDA-31D3-40CB-A741-DCE883999965.jpeg

They certainly show off the fact that someone at Fodera has some serious carpentry skills, but in every other respect these three instruments epitomise what is (IMO) wrong with aesthetics in the boutique instrument market. Showing off technical skill over integrated and ergonomic design. And the decoration is applied to just the top with no thought as to how best to integrate it with the rest of the design and construction. And what is with those nasty plastic pickup covers and mis-matched knobs on the second a third photos? And the arrangement of them? It's boutique pedal syndrome all over again.

Must try harder and go for some lessons in design and ergonomics.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I was looking at some Mackintosh furniture and had similar thoughts. It’s all right but these Arts and Craft dudes need a bit of SteamPunk. 

Edit: I think telling some of the world’s most admired and respected luthiers to get lessons definitely warrants a few 😂😂😂 emoji’s

Edited by tegs07
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, 4000 said:

Eye of the beholder and all that. I think it’s hideous.😂

Me too.

It's a fantastic bit of woodwork but it looks naff as hell on a bass IMO.

And don't get me started on that bloody awful tacky butterfly they put on their headstocks. It looks like a sticker you'd get free with a My Little Pony. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, RhysP said:

Me too.

It's a fantastic bit of woodwork but it looks naff as hell on a bass IMO.

And don't get me started on that bloody awful tacky butterfly they put on their headstocks. It looks like a sticker you'd get free with a My Little Pony. 😂

They are all a bit fussy and bling for my taste. I feel the same about most new Aston Martins. I can still appreciate them though and understand the appeal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

They certainly show off the fact that someone at Fodera has some serious carpentry skills, but in every other respect these three instruments epitomise what is (IMO) wrong with aesthetics in the boutique instrument market. Showing off technical skill over integrated and ergonomic design. And the decoration is applied to just the top with no thought as to how best to integrate it with the rest of the design and construction. And what is with those nasty plastic pickup covers and mis-matched knobs on the second a third photos? And the arrangement of them? It's boutique pedal syndrome all over again.

What, like a Gus? No thanks ;)

I think the wood on the ying/yang one is nice, and the bottom one of the list looks like an ibanez apart from the knob position and lack of rounding of the edges. I am sure it feels nicer on the leg as it is less pointy. The top one is way too 70s decor for me, but that probably isn't a problem if you didn't live through the 70s!

I am sure they are very nice, they certainly look well made and I am sure they play nice, but they don't appeal to me much and the control position of every one of them just really puts me off - like they were just put where they landed without thought (and I am sure that is not true). 

But the fact is, they are a lot of money and people are buying them who have a choice of what to buy so that tells me that they are probably worth having when money isn't your main restriction

I think the lighter wood on the yin/yang (maple? Chestnut? Maybe even Myrtle?) is a lovely bit of wood. And although not shown, I love the look of the Matt Garrison model. But the one at the top…….just no. It’s trying far too hard.

FWIW, I’ve played several Foderas and not been impressed by any of them, and not because I don’t like boutique basses. The ones I’ve played haven’t come remotely close to the ‘best of the rest’ (e.g. Alembic, Sei) IMO. I remember playing a buckeye Fodera on the stand at Bass Day and I vastly preferred an Everson on Paul Everson’s stand, which to me was far easier to play, better built and much better looking. As usual, YMMV; a musical instrument is a very personal thing, so this just my opinion. 

I do however note Molan’s comment about them all being different, which is something I appreciate.

For me this is just like anything else. Once an instrument  contains all the important stuff built to a good standard anything can be made to work for the individual requirements of the player via adjustment through a decent luthier.But in saying this we may ask why don’t we all do this.The answer is simple human nature,we have aspersions,marketing plays a part and other musicians influence our opinions despite the arguments to the contrary. If this was not true we would never see Fodera’s or equivalent quality instruments for sale .To the question asked. I am good enough to play a Fodera ? yes because I could afford to buy one .Would the purchase cost reflect my skill level? No. Should it ? Who cares.It’s a piece wood with strings and electronics .If it make a bass sound and is satisfying to the owner and fits its purpose jobs done.This does not stop you trying other things and spending as much as your happy with .Variation is the spice of life.The instrument does not define the player and there is no best just a lot of  people trying justify there choices with some who are incredibly happy having found what they have been looking for and unable to withhold there excitement. Long may these views continue as it will keep the music shops open and encourage future musicians.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WAYNESWORLD said:

For me this is just like anything else. Once an instrument  contains all the important stuff built to a good standard anything can be made to work for the individual requirements of the player via adjustment through a decent luthier.But in saying this we may ask why don’t we all do this.The answer is simple human nature,we have aspersions,marketing plays a part and other musicians influence our opinions despite the arguments to the contrary. If this was not true we would never see Fodera’s or equivalent quality instruments for sale .To the question asked. I am good enough to play a Fodera ? yes because I could afford to buy one .Would the purchase cost reflect my skill level? No. Should it ? Who cares.It’s a piece wood with strings and electronics .If it make a bass sound and is satisfying to the owner and fits its purpose jobs done.This does not stop you trying other things and spending as much as your happy with .Variation is the spice of life.The instrument does not define the player and there is no best just a lot of  people trying justify there choices with some who are incredibly happy having found what they have been looking for and unable to withhold there excitement. Long may these views continue as it will keep the music shops open and encourage future musicians.

I find that even cheap, by instrument standards, basses are of a general high quality. Manufacturing processes mean necks are straight, intonation is spot on and electrics are reliable on mass produced instruments. Pickups are easy to change and come in any configuration you can think of so customising is easy. It might not look like a Chipendale table but a £300 bass with my choice of pickups and strings, set up perfectly by our local genius for £25, sounds and plays perfect for me. I doubt a custom built megga buck instrument would make me noticeably better. If you like a Fodera and have the cash then why not? I would prefer to spend it on hookers and Gin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2