Why become a member? ×

Are you good enough to play a Fodera?

Rayman

Here's a question.....

Have you ever felt guilty, or that you're really not good enough to own that expensive bass?

I mean, I'm ok, I'm a decent player, but I'm no vertuosso.... and currently, after a handful of years away from playing anything at all, I've started to re-accumulate a modest collection of decent gear, but in the past I've owned Sadowsky, Overwaters etc, and wondered if

A: Do I really need a 2K bass?

Or

B: Am I good enough to justify it?

Am I really only worthy of sub 1K basses? Am I destined to stick with the Corts, Ibanez and Yamahas of this world? Or balls to it, I'll have what I want?

Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

Yeah why not, if you've got the spare money might as well get something that sounds/plays/looks how you want.

It's a refundable deposit after all: If you can buy either a £500 or £2k second hand Bass and play it for 2 years then sell it - either can be sold for about the same you bought them for so it doesn't really make a difference financially in the long run, but you'll have had 100s of hours paying a better Bass by getting the £2k one. 

Saying that though, I think there is a fair bit of jealousy/reverse snobbery 'he spent £2k on that and can't even play X which I can play on my £500 Bass'. And I think some good players revel in playing cheap Basses well and letting everyone know about it - subtext being  'I can play that well on this cheap Bass imagine what I could do on an expensive one' (and the answer probably is they wouldn't sound that different with the more expensive Bass but it might look better or be more comfortable to play). 

• Like 4

I'm barely good enough to play the Squier i have, but if i had the disposable income to buy such an instrument , was single , had no kids.... yeah , i don't know.

Thats a hard question. Removing any family responsibilities from the equation then yes , if i could afford one i'd buy one. Who said only pro players can have a pro bass. 

At the very least it would inspire me to pick it up a lot more and get better. I'll never be Les Claypool good but i'll sure as hell try if i was lucky enough to have my own Carl Thompson bass

13 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The OP’s question is kind of dependant on the answer to ‘How good do you have to be to play a Fodera?

If that could be quantified, then the OP’s question then becomes a valid one. 

I guess I'm just playing Devils advocate..... I'm a reasonable player, but as much as I enjoy my Arias, Hohners etc...  I intend to lash out on something really posh, because I remember how I felt playing my Kinal when I had it.... it was SO comfortable, and probably made me play better too. 

I guess that answers my original question.... but, I would still feel a bit if a fraud with a boutique bass in my hands I think.

Fodera is not in my interest. => Question isn't valid.

Do I like/hate Fender? I ignore them. => Question isn't valid.

Should I or OP invest on music lessons instead of a new bass? => Question may be valid. I have to play more to be able to keep time. Is some new instrument related to this? Hardly.

• Like 2

Good question. But in reality, the question is 'are you loaded enough to play a Fodera'?

Jaco never played an Alembic or a Fodera. He changed the world on a second-hand Jazz. I think if the instrument improves your music, then go for it. But, in these days of wonderful Sire instruments, simply doesn't matter. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, visog said:

Good question. But in reality, the question is 'are you loaded enough to play a Fodera'?

Jaco never played an Alembic or a Fodera. He changed the world on a second-hand Jazz. I think if the instrument improves your music, then go for it. But, in these days of wonderful Sire instruments, simply doesn't matter. 

5D327C14-2429-4F38-B342-B4650F70C95A.thumb.jpeg.42d598982ce680cc7ad3abd3c0a85c4d.jpeg
(tongue firmly in cheek - think he borrowed this Fodera)

• Haha 1

This question is something I repeatedly encounter in my own never ending bass buying then moving on circle. I buy a Jazz or a Stingray, then think it’s a waste of money as I won’t play it in a band so feel guilty for having them. I’ve finally come to the realisation that the sound of Stingrays just isn’t for me, so can put them to rest once & for all, but I do like Jazzes. I can afford one and playing bass is my hobby so why do I feel so guilty about wanting to buy them?