Why become a member? ×

Which 5 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2022 Inductees?

Which 5 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2022 Inductees?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. I know, it's a load of old tosh and I haven't created this thread to argue the merits (or not) of the RARHOF, but I was just looking at the nominees list and was having a hard time narrowing it down to just 5. Just for fun, who would you choose?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/04/22 at 22:59

I have issues with the RARHOF, since when we’re the likes of Dolly or Dionne Warwick rock & roll? Don’t get me wrong, fantastic artists, but rock & roll? Methinks not. Therefore, I voted for the acts that have some rock & roll credentials and have had the potential to be influential, not necessarily acts that I particularly like, at all.

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I have issues with the RARHOF, since when we’re the likes of Dolly or Dionne Warwick rock & roll? Don’t get me wrong, fantastic artists, but rock & roll? Methinks not. Therefore, I voted for the acts that have some rock & roll credentials and have had the potential to be influential, not necessarily acts that I particularly like, at all.

I read somewhere that there is a desire by some to get it renamed to the Music Hall of Fame which would probably be more suitable.

I doubt it will happen as Rock & Roll just sounds, well, more Rock & Roll 😀.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, SteveXFR said:

It's a weak list and half of them aren't rock and roll. 

MC5 should win it I my opinion. 

Funny you should say that, because I would have sworn they were already in. Perhaps they were nominated before and didn't make it.

As legendary as they are though, only two studio albums 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Funny you should say that, because I would have sworn they were already in. Perhaps they were nominated before and didn't make it.

As legendary as they are though, only two studio albums 🤷‍♂️

They might not have a big catalogue of music but what they did release was incredibly influential. They did something really original and creative. 

They had as many killer tunes as most bands who released 10 albums.

• Like 1

I went for

Eminem

Devo

MC5

New York Dolls

Beck.

The first 4 have all been massively influential even if , apart from Eminem, they never really enjoyed huge commercial success or became household names themselves.

Beck is just unique.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I think perhaps the meaning of 'Rock and Roll' has shifted over time and now means different things to different people.

'Popular Music Hall of Fame' is perhaps a better term for what the institution was actually set up to celebrate.

• Like 5

I could only get 4 out of those

Eurythmics

Kate Bush

Duran Duran

New York Dolls

Edit - Reading further posts I obviously missed seeing Dolly Parton on there, so would add her in too.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

Only 4 showed up for me, including the sole nom for Fela Kuti. He was way more than just a musician but a revolutionary figure against corrupt governments in his native Nigeria. He got arrested more than once. Also in his band was the ace Tony Allen on drums who died a couple years ago.

BTW, the whole 'rock n roll hall of fame' is so long outdated, it should've been changed to a more all-encompassing name aeons ago. Who uses the phase 'rock n roll' anymore anyway?

• Like 1

Hall of Fame should be artists that are a reference point of their style of music or a Larger than Life icon in popular music.

Dolly should have been one of the first names in the HOF period.

Never heard of mc5 or fela kuti until reading the first post. 

Most of the other names are debatable, Eminem isn't rock but certainly brought rap to the main stream, Beck is mediocre for the alt rock he plays on par with Cornershop for instance, how are we listing RATM (who I like) in competition with Judas Priest (not a big fan)? Priest have been a hallmark for heavy guitar music since 1974!

• Like 1

considering who votes 

6 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Current standings.

I can't see Fela Kuti making it this year.

917826854_Screenshot2022-02-09at14_30_20.thumb.png.86406357b24a54ed263df559c82e92cd.png

I'm certainly not a fan of the band or metal in general but I know enough to realise Judas Priest are a massive influence on the genre, second only to Sabbath, so I'm surprised to see them so low down. Kate Bush has been a big deal in many countries but not in the US. Too quirky and oddball for the Billboard mainstream, same with the homegrown Devo, NYD and MC5. Pat Benatar's radio-friendly, mainstream rawk probably fits the bill more. The one US band I think should be put in - that's if they're even remotely bothered which I don't think they would be -are Pixies. Like the Ramones (who are in), Pixies are also not as commercially big as big as those they've influenced. Grunge and the whole alt-rock scene owe them  a debt.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm certainly not a fan of the band or metal in general but I know enough to realise Judas Priest are a massive influence on the genre, second only to Sabbath, so I'm surprised to see them so low down. 

Agree with the above

I also chose:

MC5

Devo

New York Dolls

Rage against the machine

My rationale being that these bands were all different and influential.

Edited by BillyBass