Why become a member? ×

Who makes whos guitars?!

DocTrucker

1 hour ago, Lw. said:

Out of curiosity; have you got any examples of the very good guitars? For example, what do you think is the best quality bass you can buy that was made in China? 

I'm all for the "it doesn't matter where the machines are located" argument, I just can't really think of an example in this case. 

I have a rather nice Aria PE 6-string and also a cheap Hamer Slammer which is darned good.

In contrast, there are some quite awful Rickenbacker copies being churned out.

I can't list you any high-end ones, though.

1 hour ago, Lw. said:

what do you think is the best quality bass you can buy that was made in China? 

Never had the chance to play a Chinese Dingwall but I don't recall seeing many complaints about them. Bamboo wing Sarzo Cirrus was pretty nifty.

Over in the classical guitar world  Yulong Guo has a good name ,start around £3k 🙂

17 hours ago, Lw. said:

Out of curiosity; have you got any examples of the very good guitars? For example, what do you think is the best quality bass you can buy that was made in China? 

I'm all for the "it doesn't matter where the machines are located" argument, I just can't really think of an example in this case. 

All Epiphones are made in China these days.  The Jack Casady Signature is a very good bass guitar - it was very good when it was made in South Korea and it's still very good now that it's made in China.  Tiny sample set (3) but I've owned JC Sigs made in both countries and I found them to be equally good. 

There's a lot of anecdotal love for the Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro - some prefer it over the USA Gibson Thunderbird, although that might say more about the current state of Gibson USA than the relative goodness of Epiphones...

I'm willing to say that not one of us here has the statistical oversight to make blanket statements about any factory or country's output with any validity or integrity.  Statisticians of the world, I'm sorry for p!ssing all over your craft.  All we can do is evaluate each instrument which comes into our parochial little world on its own merits.  Country of origin shouldn't even come into it because we're not qualified to make such statements.  The instrument in your hand is either good or bad and can only accurately be discussed in isolation.

I'm saying this for general comedic effect - this is not directed at the quoted user or anyone in particular so please don't jump on me.  Dear guitar racists - show your working :D