Why become a member? ×

Would you return a new instrument for a dodgy jack?

Jono Bolton

I bought a new Squier Bass VI that pitched up this morning and I'm very happy with it, apart from the jack socket. It doesn't really grip the jack properly and leads to a bit of noise, scratching etc. I could send it back to the shop and ask them to send me a new bass, but it's ultimately something I can fix myself in 5 minutes for a few quid, however with a brand new instrument it's not something I'd expect to have to do. 

Would you send it back, or fix it yourself and speak to the shop to see what they can offer in the way of a partial refund? I haven't bought a new instrument in years so I don't really know what the protocol is.

As a side question, what's your threshold for returning a new instrument?

4 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

If the bass was a keeper, I'd just sort it myself.

I wouldn't risk sending it back and getting a dud in return.

Agree, get a great feeling/playing instrument keep it. I’d be tempted to see if the retailer would offer anything back tho, and if they did put it towards a KiOgon loom to properly sort the issue.

If it was either absolutely and utterly perfect in every other way, or I was intending to mod the flip out of it, then I would sort it out myself. Otherwise I'd be asking to send it back hoping that the retailer would give me a discount. If they didn't I'd send it back for a refund.

30 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Take the Jack socket out, bend the pins in. 2 screws, 30 second and job done. 

Better than waiting days, or even weeks for a new bass that might have the same problem. 

Just do this  above

• Like 1

I've decided I'll just sort it myself, the bass itself is excellent, it's really well made, sounds great, and plays surprisingly well out of the box too, though the strings need to go. I was planning on modding it a bit to get the best out of it anyway, so putting a Switchcraft socket in will take all of two minutes and cost a couple of quid.

• Like 2

My new Rick 4003S (arrived a week or so back) and wouldn't accept a jack cable. I thought about returning it but it would have been a major pain as there was no replacement in stock.  After @Old Horse Murphy kindly showed me (with photos of the innards of his 4003S) how to tweak the retaining spring, I adjusted it and within seconds it was sorted.

Edited by Clarky

Tell the shop, maybe they'll send you a free set of strings or something for your inconvenience of fixing it. Saves them having to pay to courier it back and to send out a new one. But ultimately, if its a dead simple, noninvasive fix, then doing it yourself saves everyone hassle.

• Like 3

My G&L Tribute LB-100 arrived with a laughable "shielding" job.  This only became apparent when I took it to band rehearsal in our RF hellhole.

As with ubit, geography playes a factor in how I respond.  If it's fixable without too much hassle and I like the bass enough to keep it then I'll probably sigh and get on with doing what the manufacturer ought to have done in the first place.

Regarding threshold of severity, it depends upon what it is.  Roughly, if it a bad finish issue or anything structural, it's going back.  Electronics I can do.  A nut tidy up I can do.  But it also depends upon the rarity of the instrument (how quickly/easily can I get a replacement), how expensive it is (I'm less likely to be tolerant of issues if I've spent over a grand vs. a few hundred), whether it's new or second hand (second hand I probably have no recourse or chance of a replacement so I just need to find a way to make it work).

That got complicated quickly!

Some examples:

G&L Tribute LB-100 - special preorder so dunno how easily a replacement could be obtained, only cost a few hundred, issue relatively easy fix (apply copper tape) - result: fix it myself

Gibson Grabber 3 70s Tribute - probably could get a replacement quickly, cost closer to a thousand than a hunder, structural issue (bottom strap button bashed into the wood to the point of depressing/cutting the fibres) - result: send it back

A cheap thing from G4S that looked interesting - probably could get a replacement quickly, cost around £100, serious structural issue (fingerboard coming away from the neck), confidence shot by the experience - result: send it back

Also, see phase of moon.

As you can fix it yourself, its worth doing that in my opinion. I bought a new squier bullet mustang guitar last year, and the first thing I did when I received it was to shield the cavity with copper tape and replace the stock jack socket with a pure tone one. The stock one was working fine, but in my experience the flimsy ones used in squiers are likely to be the first thing to fail.

22 hours ago, BigRedX said:

If it was either absolutely and utterly perfect in every other way, or I was intending to mod the flip out of it, then I would sort it out myself. Otherwise I'd be asking to send it back hoping that the retailer would give me a discount. If they didn't I'd send it back for a refund.

This

On 05/02/2022 at 13:45, Jono Bolton said:

I bought a new Squier Bass VI that pitched up this morning and I'm very happy with it, apart from the jack socket. It doesn't really grip the jack properly and leads to a bit of noise, scratching etc. I could send it back to the shop and ask them to send me a new bass, but it's ultimately something I can fix myself in 5 minutes for a few quid, however with a brand new instrument it's not something I'd expect to have to do. 

Would you send it back, or fix it yourself and speak to the shop to see what they can offer in the way of a partial refund? I haven't bought a new instrument in years so I don't really know what the protocol is.

As a side question, what's your threshold for returning a new instrument?

I'd just fix it myself and avoid the hassle of returning etc, if you like the bass apart from that issue.

You can probably fix it by bending the contacts in teh jack the socket a little, so that they press tightly against the jack. On a Bass VI it'll take you two minutes.

Edited by mcnach

21 hours ago, Jono Bolton said:

I've decided I'll just sort it myself, the bass itself is excellent, it's really well made, sounds great, and plays surprisingly well out of the box too, though the strings need to go. I was planning on modding it a bit to get the best out of it anyway, so putting a Switchcraft socket in will take all of two minutes and cost a couple of quid.

Putting in a good quality socket will be even better! If you're ok soldering, then that would be my plan: bend the contacts for now, order a replacement socket and install in the future, to ensure no more issues for years and years.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I'd just fix it myself and avoid the hassle of returning etc, if you like the bass apart from that issue.

You can probably fix it by bending the contacts in teh jack a little, so that they press tightly against the jack. On a Bass VI it'll take you two minutes.

* bending the contacts in the socket.

This not being able to edit posts even right after posting is a little silly...

edit: well, doh! so I can still edit!

Edited by mcnach

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

What not being able to edit posts? What is stopping you edit posts?

:D

I was going to reply "doh! the edit option has long gone!" but as you are someone who generally makes sense (thank you for teh £5 by the way ;) ) I checked more carefully... and I "doh!" myself instead. When did it move to the three dots on the top right??? It seems I'm less observant than I thought :facepalm: