Why become a member? ×

New bridge design... solving a bridge problem that doesn't exist!

warwickhunt

I'll reiterate.  I don't believe this is a better design than other manufacturers have produced.  It is 'different' but I see no improvement over the bridges on any of my basses... OK other than the Danelectro which is a 60 year old design.  Some of my basses have far greater adjustability including the ability to alter the string spacing.  :/  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

The only downside of this forum is a tendency for its members to think they know better than the person who actually produces the product. They do it to every manufacturer. Please don't take it personally.

It’s up to the manufacturer to win these people over. If they can’t, maybe there’s a reason for it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I'll reiterate.  I don't believe this is a better design than other manufacturers have produced.  It is 'different' but I see no improvement over the bridges on any of my basses... OK other than the Danelectro which is a 60 year old design.  Some of my basses have far greater adjustability including the ability to alter the string spacing.  :/  

@warwickhunt It isn't just the design, all actual available bass bidges are based on Leo Fender's first P Bass Bridge, moving saddles for intonation including small screws for the height adjustment of the strings ...

11 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

It’s up to the manufacturer to win these people over. If they can’t, maybe there’s a reason for it.

@wateroftyne compare apples with apples .... All big manufacturer are established on the market since years & they don't need to win people over anymore ... People are buying their products if good or bad.

The brand name is important for the majority .... 

Just now, Sidlanir said:

@warwickhunt It isn't just the design, all actual available bass bidges are based on Leo Fender's first P Bass Bridge, moving saddles for intonation including small screws for the height adjustment of the strings ...

Sorry I'm puzzled.  What do you mean 'it isn't just the design'?  

You think that all current bridge designs (other than your own I assume) are based on Leo Fender's 'first P bass bridge'? 

A bridge has a few functions and the ability to intonate and adjust height are paramount, your bridge does it no better than some! 

The design of your bridge proliferates one of my pet hates; you need to drag the whole string back through the bridge to take it out/off.  Several bridge designs manage this far better inc Sandberg and Warwick (in different ways).   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sidlanir said:

@wateroftyne compare apples with apples .... All big manufacturer are established on the market since years & they don't need to win people over anymore ... People are buying their products if good or bad.

The brand name is important for the majority .... 

I don't agree, especially in bass world. Any number of smaller / boutique manufacturers have come from nowhere and made a splash. Sincerely, good luck with your project.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Sorry I'm puzzled.  What do you mean 'it isn't just the design'?  

You think that all current bridge designs (other than your own I assume) are based on Leo Fender's 'first P bass bridge'? 

A bridge has a few functions and the ability to intonate and adjust height are paramount, your bridge does it no better than some! 

The design of your bridge proliferates one of my pet hates; you need to drag the whole string back through the bridge to take it out/off.  Several bridge designs manage this far better inc Sandberg and Warwick (in different ways).   

Okay you're right, you know it much better than myself ... 

Sorry I'm stubborn. Believing that people can come to understand something new or at least try to understand is not granted to everyone, you have to apologize for being a little mean with my words.

Just now, Sidlanir said:

Okay you're right, you know it much better than myself ... 

Sorry I'm stubborn. Believing that people can come to understand something new or at least try to understand is not granted to everyone, you have to apologize for being a little mean with my words.

What... because I question your design's misgivings (IMHO pulling strings through a bridge is an awful design principle and tweaking string spacing is an advantage), then you profess that I know better than you!  Rather than give a reasoned response to my comments on your design you expect people to just agree with you out of sympathy and not speak out?   As far as business acumen goes you may need to step up to the mark as I'm hardly the worst obstacle to any success!  :/  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

What... because I question your design's misgivings (IMHO pulling strings through a bridge is an awful design principle and tweaking string spacing is an advantage), then you profess that I know better than you!  Rather than give a reasoned response to my comments on your design you expect people to just agree with you out of sympathy and not speak out?   As far as business acumen goes you may need to step up to the mark as I'm hardly the worst obstacle to any success!  :/  

I'm sorry, but are you changing your Bass strings every day on your basses ? if yes, then you have a big problem....

if you don't know the basics about physics and mechanics it's hard to convince anyone how a bass bridge works, if it is a standard bended steel plate à la Fender Bridge or all other Bass bridges on the market

I'm sorry It's not my intention to hurt anyone

Edited by Sidlanir

OK I'll confess I'm not an engineer (I do however have a good educational background inc a 1st class honours degree in education and at 16 years old I disassembled a car engine + gearbox and rebuilt them so VERY basic bridge mechanics I can handle) BUT I do know that when you 'design' a product it should be addressing any short comings in previous designs; your bridge design offers no discernible advantage (in fact at least 2 disadvantages) over other bridge designs.  You also can't use the argument that you don't do something very often so you don't need to address the matter.  'IF' your design offered an advantage over say the Sandberg design (my present favourite), I could accept that strings uncoupling in seconds might be with foregoing.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Can you explain the practical advantages of this for the user? 

I think that's what we're not seeing. 

The EVO Bass Bridge substantially improves the transmission of the string vibration, in order to improve the sound and simultaneously to prevent the danger of injury and any possible dirt deposits.

The solid base body of the EVO Bass bridge has, for each string, an EVO Cam, wherein the axis of the cam extends perpendicularly to the string axis. The EVO Cam is rotatable within the base body for carrying out the vertical adjustment of the string. Each EVO Cam has a string through bore which extends perpendicularly to the EVO Cam axis. The base body also has a through bore which is in alignment with the string through bore of the cylinder.

A string intonation tube, through which the corresponding string extends, is mounted in the string through bore, to be adjustable in longitudinal direction of the string through bore in order to adjust the length of the string.

The vertical adjustment of the string is carried out by rotating the EVO Cam. The adjustment of the tension of the string is affected by adjusting the string intonation tube. In accordance with a preferred feature, each String intonation tube is fastened in the respective string through bore by means of a threaded connection, so that the tension of the string can be adjusted by screwing the intonation tube into the EVO Cam or out of the EVO Cam by a certain extent.

Due to the fact that the string intonation tube has, because of its shape, an elongated bore in the direction of the string, a large contact surface area is available for the string at the points where the string enters and exits the string intonation tube. Thus, a continuous increase of the inert mass is obtained from the first contact point of the string with the string intonation tube, where the string enters the intonation tube in the direction toward the instrument body.

The solid construction of the base body of the EVO Bass Bridge leads to a good pick-up of axial, vertical, and horizontal vibrations. The way the string extends through the string intonation tube to the end point of the string at the base body results in an essentially three-dimensional string suspension which picks up and transmits in each direction of vibration in an optimum manner.

In summary, the EVO Bass bridge provides a better transmission of the string vibrations to the resonance body, while simultaneously increasing and extending the sustaining period of the string. Moreover, the adjustment of the height of the string and of the tension thereof can be affected in a simple and reproducible manner.

Jens patent.JPG

Edited by Sidlanir

2 hours ago, Sidlanir said:

@neepheid Jens Johnsen is the inventor of this kind of bass bridge ... he stopped the distribution & sale of his bridge , due to lack of interrest.... I had unfortunalety the same idea & Jens Johnsen contacted me & we exchanged our point of view

That is the problem with product design.  It's possible to design a perfectly adequate product that absolutely no one wants, and I think that's the case here.  The designer perceives a problem that doesn't exist and then tries to sell a product by trying to convince people that the thing they are using happily is inadequate when it's not.  I'm not shooting you down, but whenever a product is conceived it's viability should be tested against the market.

Necessity is the mother of invention.  If there is no need don't bother inventing it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Good explanation. Have you got a video demonstrating the extra sustain compared to a standard bridge on the same bass? I think that's what will really change people's minds and prove your products advantages.

I'm trying to bite my lip,  I don't really want to derail this by opening a discussion on whether transmitting vibration to the body is desirable in an instrument equipped with a magnetic pickup.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I'm trying to bite my lip,  I don't really want to derail this by opening a discussion on whether transmitting vibration to the body is desirable in an instrument equipped with a magnetic pickup.

That's why I suggested a demonstration to avoid that argument. I'm guessing you and I would be in agreement on that subject but I'm happy to be proved wrong. 

• Like 2

Considering the amount of physics expertise involved in this design, can you produce some data on how that relates to an improvement in sustain. e.g. a dB decay graph over time compared to a 'bent bit of tin', same bass same strings.

Edited by Machines

34 minutes ago, Nicko said:

That is the problem with product design.  It's possible to design a perfectly adequate product that absolutely no one wants, and I think that's the case here.  The designer perceives a problem that doesn't exist and then tries to sell a product by trying to convince people that the thing they are using happily is inadequate when it's not.  I'm not shooting you down, but whenever a product is conceived it's viability should be tested against the market.

Necessity is the mother of invention.  If there is no need don't bother inventing it.

Today with the digitalisation of the modern industry, the need of improvement in all fields is a must.

if necessity would be the mother of invention , then we won’t need any technological improvement in our daily life…

3 hours ago, Sidlanir said:

New bridge design... solving a bridge problem that doesn't exist! ... ?

I like the title of this thread & I can't stop now🤣 For all those who still want to complain. Go ahead don't stop ...

521141636_EVOBassBridgemanual001.JPG.01cb798e7f0040c83eb33e10c9933c79.JPG1799665475_EVOBassBridgemanual002.JPG.0b5d6b79848728657c0dfb5115d2c60f.JPG

I like innovation. Looks a nice design.

But there's a few things.

The nut on the string tube looks like it could be uncomfortable for those that palm mute near/onto the bridge.

The cam locking screw design, how secure is the locking mechanism after x amount of string changes, as all the force is directed down wanting to turn the cam. Especially for those who use high tension flat wounds. 

The string break angle. I've looked on a few pics and seems some strings are forming a string break angle in mid air after the tube. Like resting on an invisible bridge. Does this have any effect on string performance? 

7 minutes ago, Sidlanir said:

Today with the digitalisation of the modern industry, the need of improvement in all fields is a must.

if necessity would be the mother of invention , then we won’t need any technological improvement in our daily life…

I agree - I'm an engineer and it was my job for many years to apply novel solutions to problems, not simply do what had always been done..  But the technological advancement must provide perceptible benefits in terms of cost, aesthetic, function or sustainability.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Machines said:

Considering the amount of physics expertise involved in this design, can you produce some data on how that relates to an improvement in sustain. e.g. a dB decay graph over time compared to a 'bent bit of tin', same bass same strings.

Many thanks for your feedback, as I didn’t ever seen any datas related to your question from any other Bass Bridge manufacturer’s,

I’ll have to invest a fortune of cash to do all these lab tests… anyway I do not have this cash to provide you all the graphic charts & so on in order to satisfy your question… I’m sorry 😢