Why become a member? ×

New bridge design... solving a bridge problem that doesn't exist!

warwickhunt

IMHO the only improvements that have ever been made to the 4-saddle BBOT are grooves in the baseplate to keep the saddles aligned, and slots to retain the strings instead of holes - makes it so much easier to change strings (unless you just cut them off). 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

IMHO the only improvements that have ever been made to the 4-saddle BBOT are grooves in the baseplate to keep the saddles aligned, and slots to retain the strings instead of holes - makes it so much easier to change strings (unless you just cut them off). 

You are entitled to your opinion and I thank you for pointing out that your contribution is an opinion.

Can I offer some additional entries?  I think that side to side adjustment built into saddles is a reasonable improvement - either by having the saddle on a thread like the Schaller 3D bridge or a sliding, lockable arrangement like the Hipshot A style.  Also, G&L's Saddle Lock bridge is a good thing - set the saddles for intonation then lock them in place with the grub screw - kind of makes the grooves you speak of unnecessary.  Also the rounded sides to that bridge make palm muting very comfortable.

There are more "out there" ideas that I respect, like the "wedge" bridge on the Gibson Victory bass which instead of having two grub screws through the saddle for height adjustment had the saddle move against an opposing wedge shape - move the wedge back/forward and it lifts/lowers the saddle as it pushes against it or moves away from it.  I always thought that was pretty clever.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, neepheid said:

There are more "out there" ideas that I respect, like the "wedge" bridge on the Gibson Victory bass which instead of having two grub screws through the saddle for height adjustment had the saddle move against an opposing wedge shape - move the wedge back/forward and it lifts/lowers the saddle as it pushes against it or moves away from it.  I always thought that was pretty clever.

That's basically how the KSM Foundation bridge works which I'm tempted to put on my jazz.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any 'radical'  new bridge designs that have struck me as anything other than a solution searching for a problem. The Ray Ross in particular.

I've used this design of bridge on a couple of basses. It offers top-load or through-body so it's flexible, plus once it's set up you crank down those black screws and everything's locked solid in all planes. Plus it's nice and chunky. I really like it.

PSX_20220205_113243.jpg

Edited by Rich
i obveasley carnt spel
  • Like 1

I'd buy one of the ones in the builders forum just for its looks, regardless whether its solves a problem or not.  But not at those  prices, no siree.

The most i ever paid for a bridge is the Schaller 3D i'm selling, just under 90 quid

11 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Where are these rattling bridges  to which the piece refers?

Clearly invented by rhe same guy that does the fuel catalyst.

Did he also invent those anti static car sickness dangling earth strap things.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iconic said:

Wasn't that a Spector thing? 

Yep, Spector did it first around 1980. Ned Steinberger designed that bridge, and used a variation on that design on his own basses later. 

To me, the grand master of inventing solutions to problems that don't exist is Nobuaki Hayashi, better known as H. Noble. Formerly of Matsumoku fame, and now the mad scientist behind Atlansia Basses. His designs are often beautifully engineered, but overly complex and bulky. 

His wildest is probably this, with fine-tuners and a string bender:

c218eb282f027d3c0b87d36d658d568b.thumb.png.b67bf65118edcdbf2770a62d441b6f0c.png

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 3