Why become a member? ×

New Chili Peppers song 2022

sykilz

So, instead of whinging and just saying “what a disappointment” -

I messaged my mate last night who shared an appreciation for the RHCP…he asked what I thought;

“Black summer” has grown on me, I really like “Here ever after”.

“Aquatic mouth dance” - absolutely fine by me, works well. And to be honest, can’t imagine that on a Stingray or Modulus…some ace little bits from Flea. And trumpets 😊.

“Not the one” - I dunno. It’s ok. Hate the chorus.

“poster child” - again, has grown on me a bit, but Still feels like a b side…

“The Great Apes” - 🤷🏻‍♂️ B side/filler.

“It’s Only Natural” - just sounds thrown together, not great.

“She’s a Lover” - music is ok, lyrics are crap.

“These are the ways” - just sounds confused. And like a The Who had a baby with the 90’s Foo Fighters. 

Every review is going on about “whatchu Thinking” - it’s alright, one of the better ones on the album. I suppose.

“Bastards of light” - Hahaha, sounds like musical theatre…dunno, meh. 

“White Braids and Pillow Chair” - lost me at the title. A grand title for a song which doesn’t deserve it. Magnolia in song form.

“One Way Traffic” - Good energy, there’s a bit of something about it…again, just seems a bit lost.

“Veronica” - doesn’t do anything, just meanders around in its own nothingness - if a song depicts a journey - this one is about standing still.

“Let Em Cry” - Decent, in the way that a lot of the B Sides off Californication singles were. 

“The Heavy Wing” - fair enough, vocal melody almost the same as verses from Black Summer, he hasn’t got much range…just like one of the weaker tracks off Stadium Arcadium…

“Tangelo” - Bleurgh. Again, could be better.

Thing is, there are loads of great ideas on this, but the album sounds unfinished - there are moments where there’s a pre chorus lull, and it sounds like the next chord sequence is loading.

With all the fanfare of JF’s return, all the time they’ve had to put stuff together and their huge resources/skill.

seems a shame ☹️.

he just said “it’s crap…” 🤣

there you go, a review nobody asked for - but that’s what I felt as I listened.

I remember I wrote off “I’m with you” - but that was followed up by “The Getaway” which I loved.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed it and it's not going to be a one time listen for me. They're far better songsmiths than I'll ever be. 

And for me, it was many times better than last year's "blockbuster" release by someone who can't even turn up to gigs when paid £500k per gig. But maybe that's not actually setting the bar too high?

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I really enjoyed it and it's not going to be a one time listen for me. They're far better songsmiths than I'll ever be. 

And for me, it was many times better than last year's "blockbuster" release by someone who can't even turn up to gigs when paid £500k per gig. But maybe that's not actually setting the bar too high?

Who was that Al?

Having a listen to Love Unlimited right now,  some really nice bits from Flea - certainly showing at some points the effects of studying Jazz & yet reverting to typical flea. I’ve always been a flea fan tho so perhaps I’m biased. 

Drums are great  - hard & funky with a few more lavish fills/grooves, he’s no weckle/Lang/virtuoso but spot on for the chillis style and better than I remember  to be honest. 

AK is sort of like water for the most part but that’s the chillis and has been since BSSM sort of Coldplay like. I think his vocal melodies also drive many of the songs to dreariness and that place of ‘meh’ again very By The Way. I’ve seen the Chilis live a number of times but unfortunately what sticks in my mind the most is when Kiedis forgot the words @motorpoint Sheffield 2011 (ish). 

I quite liked the Josh Knopfler (is that right?) stuff from the 2011 release but that album was much funkier if I recall rightly. I have no memory of the follow up album 😁. Anyway so frusciante yes nice in places and similar to Kiedis like water in others - but  my favourite guitarist right now is Mr D. Trucks so maybe not my taste. Being a bass player I don’t particularly listen much to the guitarist anyway 😂but I know if I like something they play. 

Overall what I expected from a post 90’s chillis album. 

I’ve gone on a bit haven’t I

Poster child and Aquatic Mouth Dance 👌

Edited by Sweeneythebass
More opinions developing
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Question to all you armchair quarterbasses out there. re: the Entwistle/Squire debate - would the Peppers be The Peppers w/out FLEA?

No. 

I’ve always felt Flea and Anthony are the irreplaceable members, Chad too - think it was 87 he arrived…

Guitarists? Meh. They’ve had about 10…ok 8.

Shame Dave Navarro didn’t get another crack of the whip, but then we got Californication.

Really enjoyed what Josh Klinghoffer did - and he was there for 9/10 years?! 

I think people have a concept of a “classic” lineup and they will be associated with the time of greatest success/creative output…

1 hour ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Question to all you armchair quarterbasses out there. re: the Entwistle/Squire debate - would the Peppers be The Peppers w/out FLEA?

Absolutely not.  Him and Anthony have always been the whole vibe of the band, even right at the beginning, and there is 0 chance RHCP would continue if Flea hung up his tiny flea boots.

8 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Definitely not! Yesterday I watched a YouTube video of a recent gig (think it’s on this thread somewhere) for me the best parts were fleas bass playing and improv/Jams between songs. The chemistry between flea/frusciante/smith, reminded me of a VHS I had of some early stuff, better than the songs for sure.

9 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

People get too hung up on classic line ups of bands and quite often that classic line up wasn't as good as later line ups. 

I'm a big Faith No More fan and people still go on about Jim Martin but each guitarist after him was better.

I generally agree, I love post-Cavalera Sepultura, for example, despite being a fan since BTR came out, which seems to be quite divisive, but Jim Martin is the one where I think the music was noticeably weaker afterwards, despite the considerable ability of those who replaced him. The strained relationship between them, coupled with Jim's general cantankerousness and refusal to follow the bass made for enthralling music. They lost a lot of what made them so unique when Gould became the big dog, there was far too much of the guitar following the bass by design. They veered towards more traditional songwriting than jam-based creations and sacrificed a lot of what made them great as a result... to my ears, anyway 🙂

I preferred Moseley's shambolic drawl, too, but there's no denying the brilliance of the first two Patton albums.

9 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

I suppose you can also ask can there be a foo fighters after Taylor's death. There was obviously a foo fighters without Taylor when they first started, but I couldn't imagine one without him now.

Dave G has said in the past that this lineup of the Foo Fighters is the last lineup of the Foo Fighters.

I have a gut feeling that he will be a man of his word in that regard.

On 04/02/2022 at 08:59, sykilz said:

You know what, it's very reminiscent of Californication to my ears, but I quite like it, great to see John playing again and he has THAT guitar tone going on still. Nice work by Flea as usual, looks like he's playing the jazz in the video. Much better than I'd feared !!!!

Overall, I like the song. Although, I can see why Anthony’s vocal drew some confusion; with some critics comparing it to an irish or pirate accent lol.

Edited by Greg.Bassman

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...