Why become a member? ×

New Chili Peppers song 2022

sykilz

17 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

It's like something that's way past moist 😁

I'd be a lot happier if AntwanTheSwan did less singing and they stuck with a Big Groove!

I concur. The past 10 years of his vocals have killed the peppers for me. 

• Like 2

On 3rd listen to the album.

Moments are good.

Vast majority is not amazing. 

I think flea’s current sound (and probably from “I’m with you” onward) is the worst he’s had…

I just think with the time/money/skill on hand they could’ve done something better.

Watched an interview with Zane Lowe and Anthony Kiedis last night - ZL absolutely raving over the album like it was the second coming of BSSM.

It feels like a weak cousin of Stadium Arcadium.

so far anyhow.

• Like 2

I'll listen when I get in tonight, but that doesn't sound promising.

Flea's tone peaked with BSSM and that Wal, the Modulus was cool and punchy, but the Fender doesn't do anything for me at all.

• Like 5

Just listened to it all the way through. 

Meh. 

Not many wild ideas on the album. It's very, very, very safe.

Edit - I also really wish Flea would go back to his Modulus or his Stingrays. His Jazz bass tone is pants, IMO.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 2

if there was an instrumental version of the new record I'd be happy to pay for it, I just don't get why Anthony thinks he can write lyrics or sing, and if he needs to front the band, ok but dude, have mercy, fewer words, less, less 'singing', I beg you

i like it, the music on the new album i mean, feels like there is less/no pressure to write stadium bangers anymore so most of it is interesting and fun, and I like flea's sound, not sure what your complaint is chaps, it sounds solid with a bite where it needs it. john f is back and I am happy, couldn't get on with the minimalist quirk of klinghoffer (tbh, past californication i stopped listening, so much radio friendly filler it hurt)

1 minute ago, Romeo2 said:

I just don't get why Anthony thinks he can write lyrics or sing, and if he needs to front the band, ok but dude, have mercy, fewer words, less, less 'singing', I beg you

Imagine its probably nearly four decades of success and millions of dollars that gave him the idea.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Kev said:

Imagine its probably nearly four decades of success and millions of dollars that gave him the idea.

if only he came to BC and read my post! (oh, and then travelled in time and redacted the whole drool he engages himself in)

Well, that's just an album of B Sides.

Its going to need several listens to figure it all out, but I'm amazed they didn't cut this down into a single album.  Amazed.  It makes Stadium Arcadium look allergic to filler.

I'll report back, there as some decent moments, but wow.  What I will say is that they don't give two stinky poos what is expected of them and theyre clearly creating the music that comes naturally to them now, and absolute fair play to that.

EDIT Just realised it isn't a double album, it just felt like it. I'll rephrase and say I'm amazed they didn't cut it to a 45 min/12 tracker.

Edited by Kev

Oh John, why did you have to get, and then need to pay for, a divorce?

The Getaway was quite interesting, I still go back to it, in a way I certainly won't with this.

It sounds like four friends had an enjoyable afternoon jamming and persuaded a label to spend large sums of money turning it into a record.

The band seem like they're having fun, but most of the riffs sound like they were rescued from the Stadium Arcadium discard pile.

Couple of decent songs and Flea's lick at the start of Poster Child is *chef's kiss* but overall it's 73 minutes of inoffensive, if immemorable material.

• Like 1

Listened again, front to back.

It's kinda of got a summery laid back vibe, which I didn't really pick up on to begin with, but is actually kinda cool on repeated listens, but it's still not overly memorable.

Again, Flea's tone - It sounds like he's pushing a Jazz to the limit, trying to get that Ray/Modulus type sound, but getting a weak version of it (before anyone kills me, I love Jazz Basses). His Modulus tone was absolutely explosive and suited his playing style to a 'T'

Maybe I'm getting old but it just don't sound right, I tell thee!

Edited by 40hz

3 hours ago, 40hz said:

Listened again, front to back.

It's kinda of got a summery laid back vibe, which I didn't really pick up on to begin with, but is actually kinda cool on repeated listens, but it's still not overly memorable.

Again, Flea's tone - It sounds like he's pushing a Jazz to the limit, trying to get that Ray/Modulus type sound, but getting a weak version of it (before anyone kills me, I love Jazz Basses). His Modulus tone was absolutely explosive and suited his playing style to a 'T'

Maybe I'm getting old but it just don't sound right, I tell thee!

It sounds to me like he's using his active jazz sig bass. Quite like the tone myself..

13 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

It sounds to me like he's using his active jazz sig bass. Quite like the tone myself..

The tone on a lot of these tracks sounds like the passive Jazz to me? Maybe it's a mix of both?

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

The tone on a lot of these tracks sounds like the passive Jazz to me? Maybe it's a mix of both?

Maybe...I'll pay more attention next listen. Says a lot that it didn't entirely grab my attention the first time! 😄

5 hours ago, 40hz said:

Yes I think you're right actually, sounds like a mix of both with the passive Jazz used the most. Could be all passive Jazz mixed differently track to track? Maybe the active jazz is just for live shows? 🤷‍♂️

I did like the album a bit more on hearing it again though. That's probably me hearing it for what it actually is rather than hearing it against what I wanted it to be if I'm honest. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Yes I think you're right actually, sounds like a mix of both with the passive Jazz used the most. Could be all passive Jazz mixed differently track to track? Maybe the active jazz is just for live shows? 🤷‍♂️

I did like the album a bit more on hearing it again though. That's probably me hearing it for what it actually is rather than hearing it against what I wanted it to be if I'm honest. 

Yeah I think this is it - Flea likes using his 62 Jazz in the studio, but doesn't like using them live, due to the fact it doesn't cut as much.

15 hours ago, miles'tone said:

I was like that with Chinese Democracy by Guns N Roses, once I got it into my head that it wasn’t G’N’R from the past I actually quite lived it and could appreciate it for what it is.

• Like 1