Why become a member? ×

New Chili Peppers song 2022

sykilz

They're my favourite band of all time and have one hell of a back catalogue and still do the business live, but it almost hurts me to say these released songs have all been so 'meh'. They all sound like Stadium Arcadium (imo, one of their worst albums) B-sides. 

I'm not expecting them to be playing methamphetamine fuelled punk funk anymore (as much as I'd love it), but they've shown they can do 180° shifts (Blood Sugar, One Hot Minute, By The Way) and really make them work. I just wished they'd taken a risk, I mean, they might of and these tracks might not be indicative of the album, but my hype for this album is dust in the wind (dude).

12 minutes ago, 40hz said:

They're my favourite band of all time and have one hell of a back catalogue and still do the business live, but it almost hurts me to say these released songs have all been so 'meh'. They all sound like Stadium Arcadium (imo, one of their worst albums) B-sides. 

I'm not expecting them to be playing methamphetamine fuelled punk funk anymore (as much as I'd love it), but they've shown they can do 180° shifts (Blood Sugar, One Hot Minute, By The Way) and really make them work. I just wished they'd taken a risk, I mean, they might of and these tracks might not be indicative of the album, but my hype for this album is dust in the wind (dude).

Nice Bill & Ted reference there.

I think it's fairly typical of successful bands as they get old. They all made their most interesting records before they hit 30 (I'm sure someone will bring up exceptions). My favourite band is Faith No More, I love all their records but compare Sol Invictus to The Real Thing and the old record is so much more interesting. 

I guess as we get older our brains don't produce those crazy ideas that lead to something wild and completely original. It may also be because they know their fans are older and more sensible. 

• Like 1

It's not a bad song by any means, and they have previous slower/softer songs. But I agree I reckon they're just getting old and either don't have the brains or the balls to do anything really amazing. The sound stage/green screen video is pretty bleh too. Plus Anthony's hair and moustache make him look creepy and Chad looks like Will Farrell (Flea still looks like he'd eat a bag of bolts for fun though).

Yeah, it's a No from me. Compositionally it seem like the chromatic lift in the middle of the chorus could be interesting, but it just chickens out and drops down a semitone instead of going somewhere interesting.

The piano in the first verse sounds like their mate is on keys and they needed something for them to play; it's not even in time.

I'm not really a fan of Flea, too much slap for my tastes but maybe if they'd let Flea do his thing it wouldn't be so bland. 

I can't imagine there's many RHCP fans who'll be excited to hear something that sounds nothing like RHCP other than the recognisable vocals. 

All feels a bit regressive, I enjoyed the Getaway (I’ve said it so many times) as it felt they were getting somewhere - maturing gracefully.

This stuff just sounds like some bored rich guys having a get together.

surely there has to be something better on the album - I’ve said that the last 3 tracks.

Sounds lazy - could’ve been really special.

My disappointment is unique to this one. First single was really good, 2nd was the best I'd heard from them in years, 3rd I have nothing good to say about really.

Ah well, 1 week before everyone can enjoy pumelling the album 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say the California thing started with Californication. Before that the place name drops were way less annoying e.g. Out in L.A., New Orleans (BSSM) etc.

I might be wrong though - usually am.

I found it very bland, like listening to beige. RHCP stopped being an edgy band a long time ago, so I wasn't expecting fireworks. I suppose being relatively nonplussed by this inoffensive and lethargic piece is probably an acceptable reaction to a band as middle-of-the-road as modern RHCP. 

I never much cared for early or later RHCP but I listened to Californication a lot when I was a young lad. That was a great record. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mokl said:

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say the California thing started with Californication. Before that the place name drops were way less annoying e.g. Out in L.A., New Orleans (BSSM) etc.

I might be wrong though - usually am.

I'm fairly sure California is just named a lot in their songs because it's four sylabals and therefore a good filler and easier to work in to a song than vegetable or polytechnic. 

21 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm fairly sure California is just named a lot in their songs because it's four sylabals and therefore a good filler and easier to work in to a song than vegetable or polytechnic. 

Mediocre would be suitable. 😉

• Haha 1

I’ve never been a real fan of RHCP, got a few albums, but these latest tracks just sound, well mature is probably the best way I can describe them. Probably well thought out songs but they just seem to fade into the background. But then I suppose they probably don’t want to just write their earlier material all over again.