Why become a member? ×

New Chili Peppers song 2022

sykilz

I really don't like it but I'm sure a new generation of Chilis fans will though.

Someone mentioned something wrong with the mix on Mother's MIlk earlier - seriously, if you have a turntable get it on vinyl. This is isn't a vinyl vs digital etc thing, there's something genuinely superior about the mix that went onto the vinyl as opposed to the CD

It's one of my favourite albums. It's their version of Queen's Sheer Heart Attack. It's like the transition from the more fast paced punk to the more funky BSSM just like Sheer Heart Attack was the end of the fairies and Ogres and progressing into more complex rock for Queen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delberthot said:

I really don't like it but I'm sure a new generation of Chilis fans will though.

Someone mentioned something wrong with the mix on Mother's MIlk earlier - seriously, if you have a turntable get it on vinyl. This is isn't a vinyl vs digital etc thing, there's something genuinely superior about the mix that went onto the vinyl as opposed to the CD

It's one of my favourite albums. It's their version of Queen's Sheer Heart Attack. It's like the transition from the more fast paced punk to the more funky BSSM just like Sheer Heart Attack was the end of the fairies and Ogres and progressing into more complex rock for Queen

I've only ever listened to it vinyl, so I think the mix is fine! This is the album I learned to slap to 👍

The most One Hot Minute song they've released since Once Hot Minute.  Such an interesting choice for a second single.  Love how this album is so clearly what they want to do, rather than revisiting formulas that have brought them success.  Bravo!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I still think this is one of their best tracks....

Top tune that.

Don't really get the OHM comparisons with that new song though, sounded like generic modern RHCP to me with genuinely terrible vocals. Tried 3 times and not made it to the end of the song, just the standard of monotonous rubbish they churn out these days.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I almost never listen to the vocals of any song, I mean I hear them but I don’t necessarily know or care what they’re about. I almost hear them as a melodic overtone. When I say how much I like such and such a song to people at work they often say back something about the meaning or message of the song which has passed me by because I’m just locking in with the rhythm section!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ped said:

I almost never listen to the vocals of any song, I mean I hear them but I don’t necessarily know or care what they’re about. I almost hear them as a melodic overtone. When I say how much I like such and such a song to people at work they often say back something about the meaning or message of the song which has passed me by because I’m just locking in with the rhythm section!

Being able to completely block out Keidis' awful attempts as rapping and singing is a rare and special power you have there, use it wisely.

• Haha 1

I’ve always liked RHCP, loved BSSM (the first bass line I learned to play was “Give It Away”) was a bit obsessed with them for most of the 90s, but nothing they’ve done since One Hot Minute has made me excited - I was very excited when Californication came out because JF was back, but half that album is not great. By The Way is far superior IMO but again the music lacks energy from that album forward. The Getaway was fine, Josh really shone on that. 
For me, the real problem lies with their insistence in using Rick Rubin as producer. He really caught the band’s vibe perfectly on BSSM, but really added little else other than getting them to let the music breathe a little. I would love to see them recorded by a proper rock producer, someone who will make them sound massive. I’m not talking about overblown “rawk” production, just someone who is willing to add a bit more bottom end to the ideas of one of the planet’s best bassists…

If they decided to reconnect with Michael Beinhorn (who produced The Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Mother’s Milk), then I’d be excited.

2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Top tune that.

Don't really get the OHM comparisons with that new song though, sounded like generic modern RHCP to me with genuinely terrible vocals. Tried 3 times and not made it to the end of the song, just the standard of monotonous rubbish they churn out these days.

It sounds nothing like anything they've released in recent years, and is probably their least generic single in nearly two decades.

Just heard it for the first time.

I quite like the vocal, reminds me of the pre BSSM albums when Kiedis was more a rapper than a singer.

The instrumentation is 'pleasant'.

Kind of sounds like a funk backing loop you'd use for practicing.

All in all I don't hate it but I won't be going out of way to listen to it again.

I say that as someone who was a big Chilis fan from Freaky Styley until they lost me with Stadium Arcadium.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

It's still not working for me. It doesn't really do anything or say anything, just... inoffensive again. I mean, it's fine, there's just nothing in it which would make me want to put it on ahead of anything pre-By The Way.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

Something just popped up on one of my Facebook feeds…

UNLIMITED LOVE ALBUM REVIEW!

A friend (who has asked to remain anonymous) is writing a review of Unlimited Love for a well-known publication. Here are his early thoughts on some tracks on the album. Some of these are responses to my questions, some are his first impressions. I'm curious to see if I can recognize these descriptions in a few weeks' time when I hear the album myself! (I suppose these count as spoilers, and of course - take them with a grain of salt.)

General impressions

John's background vocals: "I don't know about him doing 3 part harmonies or whatever, but you definitely know John's there."

Anthony's voice: "Almost identical to The Getaway. Makes the weird voice on Black Summer all the more noticeable: that's as weird as he gets."

"So far more bassline based songs than John songs, which surprises me."

"A good amount of piano and organ on the album."

"I feel like literally every song came from a jam. Doesn't seem like many chord progression based songs."

"You're gonna feel like 'This feels like the album between BTW and SA' or 'This feels like the scrapped album before BTW.'"

"I feel like Anthony took a back seat on this album. And it was just like, Flea and John hugging each other and high fiving every song."

She's A Lover is a definite standout. "Super catchy and the bassline is dope."

The album feels like SA and BTW B-sides. "It feels like they picked up where they left off."

And some specific songs...

"She's a Lover"A
"Almost disco."

"These are the Ways"
"Like Love Trilogy but instead of 3 weird funk reggae things, it's New Wave / Punk / Hardcore. Like RHCP doing Green Day at times. Comparable to Mini-Epic / Kill For Your Country in a way."

"Whatchu Thinkin'"
"The weirdest bassline, in a good way... Like Flea was doing a John Cage player piano piece... Like he's imitating the Tetris soundtrack. Weird and different and in my opinion good."

"Bastards of Light"
"More punk moments."

"White Braids & Pillow Chair"
Reprise featuring the words "California..."

"One Way Traffic"
"Like an SA track. Halfway between Storm in a Teacup and Save the Population. The breakdown in this... to their credit, they are trying new things." Features a bass solo from Flea.

"Let 'em Cry"
"Another disco-y song."

"The Heavy Wing"
"It sounds like a drum machine. Hip hop intro, ballad verse with a Jane's Addiction beat, and then John punk chorus. This is insane. These pieces fit... melodically but not stylistically. Back to the hip hop intro as a bridge, then a guitar solo over a new progression. I'm not complaining but this song structurally is perhaps a tad not RHCP-ish.

"Tangelo"
"A Beatles tune in disguise. Like John writing a John Lennon song with AK. Just acoustic guitar, no drums. Ends with 30 seconds of background noise. A ballad not similar to many other RHCP songs." (NB: it seems like the NME was right about those two songs sounding unlike anything the band had done before!)

Source: https://buttondown.email/rhcpsessions/archive/me-and-my-friends-41-early-impressions/?fbclid=IwAR2V2G54EGvrqq8KtDVNE46C4yukLsQqNG8kPTjk5Az7FRePBc-7OSmdq9o”

Hopefully the album has some good stuff to offer…

• Like 2