Why become a member? ×

New Chili Peppers song 2022

sykilz

1 minute ago, Kev said:

I'm less cynical.  When he left the band in 2007, he assumed the band would end, and was apparantly really surprised when they announced Josh.  He was apparantly speaking with Flea for some time about coming back in.  He seems up for it, you can't just knock out 50 tracks if you aren't.

I dunno, £70k a month outgoings to an ex would spur me on to make songs happen.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Quick Google, he paid a one off $1.6m settlement to her two years ago?  He must have plenty of spare change to offer that...

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

And you have to admit the timing points towards money being a motivating factor. Anyhoo, there may be some great music on the rest of the album where they take some chances and bring back some of the energy of their earlier music.

4 minutes ago, Kev said:

Quick Google, he paid a one off $1.6m settlement to her two years ago?  He must have plenty of spare change to offer that...

I haven’t looked recently, there was something about paying her brother too.

I’m sure everything I read once on the internet is true? 🥴🙄😂

4 minutes ago, EdLib-3 said:

And you have to admit the timing points towards money being a motivating factor. Anyhoo, there may be some great music on the rest of the album where they take some chances and bring back some of the energy of their earlier music.

I’m sure he’ll top himself back up,

And I’m looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who preferred Josh Klinghoffers guitar work? I just can't get on with John Fruscante at all, soz. "I'm With You" is my favourite album by a mile..... They were SO good live on that tour.

FYI, my Mrs disagrees with me vehemently on this.

5 minutes ago, Rayman said:

Am I the only one who preferred Josh Klinghoffers guitar work? I just can't get on with John Fruscante at all, soz. "I'm With You" is my favourite album by a mile..... They were SO good live on that tour.

FYI, my Mrs disagrees with me vehemently on this.

I thought “I’m with you” was a bit wobbly - as if he was trying so hard to sound “different” - but The Getaway was ace

I guess I love the album so much, partly because my girls loved it so much, it was on in the car permanently. Plus the gig was my eldest daughters first gig, so it has special memories. I just think it's a catchy album, maybe a bit lightweight, but its still my favourite 

This has peaked my interest more than anything they’ve done since stadium - intrigued to see how the lp turns out. 
BSSM is easily their best work. Enjoyed californication & mothers milk too.
 Frusciante is an amazing guitarist & if one of his note bends is a little sharp, I suspect he means it.

while we’re on RHCP I can’t stand ‘can’t stop’ how that bass line always gets voted on of fleas best I’ll never know.

As I mentioned previously, One Hot Minute is an album I've grown to appreciate more and more over the years. I dig the Dave Navarro era, anyone else a fan of the more rocking Navarro Chili Peppers? Also that album to me, is Kiedis's songwriting as its best. The lyrics are really memorable and coherent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EdLib-3 said:

As I mentioned previously, One Hot Minute is an album I've grown to appreciate more and more over the years. I dig the Dave Navarro era, anyone else a fan of the more rocking Navarro Chili Peppers? Also that album to me, is Kiedis's songwriting as its best. The lyrics are really memorable and coherent.

I think Flea had a lot more to do with that album than anything before or after - as in songwriting, lyrically too.

I find it’s a bit patchy and overblown at points.

Honestly, any band, anyone would’ve struggled to follow up BSSM - and as JF had so much to do with that album - it’s no surprise that it jars a little.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EdLib-3 said:

My fave Chili Peppers album. Dark, heavy, seething with menace and lots of heavy psychedelic guitar. It's absolutely nothing like anything they've ever done before or since (aside from Aeroplane, which I can't stand). I love it - it comes from a dark place and shows it. 

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

The quartet of Mother's Milk, BSSM, One Hot Minute and Californication are sublime. I've bought every other album as they have come out but nothing they have done since Californication has grabbed me at all. BSSM is perfect, though. It's genuinely a flawless album.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

My fave Chili Peppers album. Dark, heavy, seething with menace and lots of heavy psychedelic guitar. It's absolutely nothing like anything they've ever done before or since (aside from Aeroplane, which I can't stand). I love it - it comes from a dark place and shows it. 

Seething with menace! Love that, that is a totally spot on description of that album! It's a totally unique sounding album in their back catalogue. The last three or four have sounded largely the same for me.

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I think Flea had a lot more to do with that album than anything before or after - as in songwriting, lyrically too.

I find it’s a bit patchy and overblown at points.

Honestly, any band, anyone would’ve struggled to follow up BSSM - and as JF had so much to do with that album - it’s no surprise that it jars a little.

Indeed, they've not managed to release anything since that comes close to the brilliance of BSSM, let alone topping it. 

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

The quartet of Mother's Milk, BSSM, One Hot Minute and Californication are sublime. I've bought every other album as they have come out but nothing they have done since Californication has grabbed me at all. BSSM is perfect, though. It's genuinely a flawless album.

Hey, we agree on stuff in this thread :) 

BSSM is honestly the only album I think I've heard where I wouldn't change anything on it.  No filler (even track 17), perfect mix, love it all the more after watching the funky monks DVD and seeing where some of the music came from.  Wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, EdLib-3 said:

I love One Hot Minute, but if I'm entirely honest I come from the 'rock' side of liking funk rock, and I was a huge Janes Addiction fan so that's probably no surprise!!!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sykilz said:

I love One Hot Minute, but if I'm entirely honest I come from the 'rock' side of liking funk rock, and I was a huge Janes Addiction fan so that's probably no surprise!!!!!

I think Strays by JA is the Album One Hot Minute could’ve been…😉

• Like 2

I quite like OHM, but I don’t love it. I prefer everything they’ve done since, certainly with JF; to me it lacks the nuance and fragility of the JF albums. I’m not overly keen Mothers Milk either; I really don’t like the production on that for starters. 

When I went to the States last - around 18 years ago - we were at Heathrow and Dave Navarro walked past in front of me, literally about 5 feet away. I was too surprised to say anything other than a stuttered “Dave Navarro!” to my partner. 😂

Yeah, innofensive.

I guess in a way they're growing old gracefully by playing middle of the road daytime radio stuff that translates to a big stadium sing-along rather than trying to be 20 year olds playing more in-your-face funk/punk that works better at smaller rowdy venues. 

Seems a bit of a shame with the amount of $$$ they already have that they don't use RHCP as a platform to make some slightly more progressive music rather than focussing on lowest common demominator for more $$$. John Frusciante released this recently, from what I've heard they are all into more underground type stuff than they release as RHCP

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

God, I must be turning into an old, bitter fan. I find the new track (Poster Child) really bland and lightweight. Good bass, but that's about it. 

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, 40hz said:

God, I must be turning into an old, bitter fan. I find the new track (Poster Child) really bland and lightweight. Good bass, but that's about it. 

I think this is me. Not convinced by much after Californication, and really after OHM too! 

• Like 1