Why become a member? ×

New Chili Peppers song 2022

sykilz

I haven't posted here for years, but seeing the new Chili Peppers video for some reason made me come here and see what people thought.

I was a massive Chilis fan in the 90s, and Blood Sugar and One Hot Minute are both really good records. More than a little problematic lyrically in places, but I can't imagine a better Frusciante record than Blood Sugar, and One Hot Minute was exactly what I needed from them at the time. I wish Navarro had been able to do more with them.

BUT... funny you should mention lead singles @Kev - when Frusciante rejoined for Californication, the lead single was Scar Tissue, and I remember thinking "stinky poo, I hope the rest of the album isn't like this - where's the damn funk?!". But that was the beginning of the end for me. The album was a massive disappointment, with a few decent songs but terrible guitar tones throughout, and not enough of what I loved about them previously. And I've got to side with @steantval on this - Frusciante's lead playing seemed to go down the toilet during those heroin years in the 90s.

And I just don't hear any progression since 1999. Up until then they'd kept developing and changing. But hey, the stuff I hate is what made them more popular than ever, so what do I know?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Love unlimited or whatever it’s called is another double album…

I don’t hold out huge hopes If this is the lead single: but I’ve listened three times. It may grow on me.

Apple Music shows it as 17 songs, so just one more than By The Way. Stadium has 28. I guess it depends how long the songs are, but on paper it looks in between the two, Arcadium light if you will 🤷‍♂️.

We can but hope.

1 hour ago, reesource said:

I haven't posted here for years, but seeing the new Chili Peppers video for some reason made me come here and see what people thought.

I was a massive Chilis fan in the 90s, and Blood Sugar and One Hot Minute are both really good records. More than a little problematic lyrically in places, but I can't imagine a better Frusciante record than Blood Sugar, and One Hot Minute was exactly what I needed from them at the time. I wish Navarro had been able to do more with them.

BUT... funny you should mention lead singles @Kev - when Frusciante rejoined for Californication, the lead single was Scar Tissue, and I remember thinking "stinky poo, I hope the rest of the album isn't like this - where's the damn funk?!". But that was the beginning of the end for me. The album was a massive disappointment, with a few decent songs but terrible guitar tones throughout, and not enough of what I loved about them previously. And I've got to side with @steantval on this - Frusciante's lead playing seemed to go down the toilet during those heroin years in the 90s.

And I just don't hear any progression since 1999. Up until then they'd kept developing and changing. But hey, the stuff I hate is what made them more popular than ever, so what do I know?

Ah interesting, I didn't have Scar Tissue in my head as the Californication lead.

For me, BSSM is one of the best records of all time. In many ways its perfect for me.  Naturally it has gone downhill from there, but Californication was a great record.  As was By The Way.  Stadium Arcadium was just full of filler, a real let down after much hype.  If that's the route they've gone again, it'll be very disappointing.  But its more because of a move away from funk and punk influences.  Frusciante has evolved as a guitarist, but not in a negative way for me.  Watching a live performance will show you he hasn't lost anything, he's just changed things up for new music.  Mad that you don't hear progression since 1999.  I would say each record since has been profoundly different, except maybe the two Josh records, which had a lot of common ground.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kev said:

Ah interesting, I didn't have Scar Tissue in my head as the Californication lead.

For me, BSSM is one of the best records of all time. In many ways its perfect for me.  Naturally it has gone downhill from there, but Californication was a great record.  As was By The Way.  Stadium Arcadium was just full of filler, a real let down after much hype.  If that's the route they've gone again, it'll be very disappointing.  But its more because of a move away from funk and punk influences.  Frusciante has evolved as a guitarist, but not in a negative way for me.  Watching a live performance will show you he hasn't lost anything, he's just changed things up for new music.  Mad that you don't hear progression since 1999.  I would say each record since has been profoundly different, except maybe the two Josh records, which had a lot of common ground.

Fair enough - perhaps there has been progression. I’m only judging them on what I’ve heard, and I haven’t gone out of my way to listen to anything since By The Way, so it was unfair of me to say that to be honest. I’ve only heard bits and pieces. I’ll have to watch some recent live stuff with John. 

Ultimately I just miss the funk and the rock - the energy that they used to have. But they gave us some great records back in the day, and I guess they’ve earned the right to do what they want. 

• Like 1

It's worth remembering for anyone who gives RHCP a hard time regarding Stadium Arcadium (whether its deserved or not - I'm remaining neutral) that the following album, I'm With You, was almost the same format.

The 17 additional songs they recorded in those sessions were released separately from the album, but could well have been included.

RHCP at their best, ripping the funk out of a high bpm tune, just doesn't get any better, but they can't all be like that. Rough with the smooth I say and more material is better than none.

I've listened to Black Summer a few times today and it's definitely growing on me.

• Like 1

I was an enormous fan back in the day and will always have a soft spot for them,  but I'm one of the ones who doesn't like anything they've put out since One Hot Minute (and I didn't think that was great). In fact the quality of their output has always been variable imo, even on the earlier albums I love. They got away with it for me because when it all came together the results were a spectacular explosion of energy and creativity and a punk rocking, funky sound unlike any other band.  But I suppose they couldn't keep doing the same old thing over and over, and age will inevitably affect their musical outlooks etc. I listened to this in the hope that there would be something in there that would give me a little spark of the band I used to love, but sadly no.  I've been going through this process with every new release this band put out for the last 2 decades,  at some point I'll just have to accept it's not going to happen! 😄 

Edited by Mokl
  • Like 2

Sounds like a track passed from one computer to another as each person dutifully adds their contribution, rather than something thrashed out in the heat of collaboration. A day with the musical equivalent of Gordon Ramsey scornfully challenging all the details would turn this polite folk song into something with energy and properly focused intent. Call that a #^€£ing guitar solo? Sounds like my grandad humming as he's having a fosters. And who wrote this bit? You can't just raise the leading note before the chorus and leave it hanging there for four bars, what are #^€£ing thinking? Hey you, Baldy, yeah you with the bass. One decent note every verse and you think you're #^€£ing it, don't you? Just listen to this. BLAND. Come ONNN. We're so much better than this. And you, Mr Paedo, if I hear that line about China once more, I'll stuff it so far up your DI box it'll be coming out of your tweeters, understand? I SAID DO YOU #^€£ING UNDERSTAND? Right. Start from the top, and try and convince me you give a #^€£. Jesus.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

57 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Sounds like a track passed from one computer to another as each person dutifully adds their contribution, rather than something thrashed out in the heat of collaboration.

RHCP write all their music through jamming, always have.

9 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Maybe the fact that 3/4 of the band are pretty much 60 would explain them having less energy than they did 30 years ago 🤔😂

There aren't many bands who still tear the derrière out of performing after 30 odd years

I meant in the music, as opposed to them as performers.  They all have a ridiculous amount of energy for their age!

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Sounds like a track passed from one computer to another as each person dutifully adds their contribution, rather than something thrashed out in the heat of collaboration. A day with the musical equivalent of Gordon Ramsey scornfully challenging all the details would turn this polite folk song into something with energy and properly focused intent. Call that a #^€£ing guitar solo? Sounds like my grandad humming as he's having a fosters. And who wrote this bit? You can't just raise the leading note before the chorus and leave it hanging there for four bars, what are #^€£ing thinking? Hey you, Baldy, yeah you with the bass. One decent note every verse and you think you're #^€£ing it, don't you? Just listen to this. BLAND. Come ONNN. We're so much better than this. And you, Mr Paedo, if I hear that line about China once more, I'll stuff it so far up your DI box it'll be coming out of your tweeters, understand? I SAID DO YOU #^€£ING UNDERSTAND? Right. Start from the top, and try and convince me you give a #^€£. Jesus.

Imagine the Peppers were self-reflective like the Matrix director Lara Wachowski (Matrix IV pretty much mocks the first three), then they would use @Ricky Rioli's Gordon Ramsey rant as a rap (with a nice funky groove) for a new song called  "Black Summer Resurrections" 😉 

I bought Mother's Milk when it came out, and Fishbone's - Truth and Soul came out around the same time.

By comparison, the Chilli Peppers just sounded like a pale imitation, with shouty tuneless vocals over slap lines with nothing of interest to say. 

Hearing Anthony Kiedis trying to sing after all these years is quite painful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grimalkin said:

The secret to retaining your mystique is to quit before you become a parody. Having someone who can actually sing helps too. 

3 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

I bought Mother's Milk when it came out, and Fishbone's - Truth and Soul came out around the same time.

By comparison, the Chilli Peppers just sounded like a pale imitation, with shouty tuneless vocals over slap lines with nothing of interest to say. 

Hearing Anthony Kiedis trying to sing after all these years is quite painful.

Go make another thread if you just want to hate on them. 

Cue quote in 3, 2, 1... 

• Haha 4

Much like anything Star Wars - I’ll give anything RHCP a go.

Just like the constant rumblings about Star Wars’ recent output- I’d rather have it than have nothing.

I am surprised they stir up so much ‘hatred’ in people - but, that’s life isn’t it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Much like anything Star Wars - I’ll give anything RHCP a go.

Just like the constant rumblings about Star Wars’ recent output- I’d rather have it than have nothing.

I am surprised they stir up so much ‘hatred’ in people - but, that’s life isn’t it.

People generally don't like the success of others.  It's quite an ugly human trait really.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Kev said:

People generally don't like the success of others.

I don't think that's necessarily the case...

Frinstance, I don't like the success of Coldplay, nott because I don't like success but because there are many other acts I'd prefer to be successful over Coldplay.

It's not Coldplay's fault that they've made millions, that many people like them... But as far as I'm concerned it's a shame that something so musically staid is what the majority of people want!

I just wish folks would be just that bit more adventurous with their musical choices, though with a complete dearth of interesting music on any mainstream TV or radio (apart from 6Music!) it's not surprising. After all, music TV consists of Masked Singer, X Factor and the backing band of Strictly...

With the Chillis they started off more musically interesting,built a following who loved their manic mix of styles and energy, then they discovered that they'd make more money if they veered more toward easy listening. Or they got old. Or both!

Whichever it was, it alienated the original fans - me included. However, I most certainly don't begrudge their success; they've worked hard, they were one of the best bands I ever saw live (Clarendon/MeanFiddler/Electric Ballroom gigs were awesome!). I just don't like what they do now... 

• Like 2

I’m not a particular fan of them, but about 15/20 years ago the drummer of a band I was in really loved them, so got to hear By The Way a lot over that period. Quite liked it, really should get myself a copy. I’ve got BSSM & Californication, both ok but prefer By The Way.

It's difficult to say off the basis of one song, but I hope the rest of the album isn't like it. I love it when they've performed a 180° and done some something completely different, like One Hot Minute (with Uplift Mofo, my fave album of them all) and By The Way. However, they seemed to have settled for this bland, MoR, style since Stadium Arcadium (which I can't stand). So, even as an old fan, I'm not against them changing at all, I welcome it, just make sure it's something wild and worth doing!

Edited by 40hz

Stadium Arcadium was a frustrating release, as I feel that album condensed to a single disk would have enough variety to be really interesting, but as presented it was almost unlistenable without skipping through for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Stadium Arcadium was a frustrating release, as I feel that album condensed to a single disk would have enough variety to be really interesting, but as presented it was almost unlistenable without skipping through for me.

Agreed. I never really understood the love it gets from some quarters. That album is 70% indulgent filler, IMO.

Edited by 40hz