Why become a member? ×

New Chili Peppers song 2022

sykilz

You know what, it's very reminiscent of Californication to my ears, but I quite like it, great to see John playing again and he has THAT guitar tone going on still. Nice work by Flea as usual, looks like he's playing the jazz in the video. Much better than I'd feared !!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I love the band to pieces, but I find this pretty bland. It's very 'singy' and in the style they went to around Stadium Arcadium. I want rapping, slap bass and some funk, damn it!

P.s - It seems Anthony has modelled his voice on Hagrid in parts of this song.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, sykilz said:

You know what, it's very reminiscent of Californication to my ears, but I quite like it, great to see John playing again and he has THAT guitar tone going on still. 

Fully agree. Nice song that could easily be a Californication B-side. Great to have John back though!

I really like it. But the transition from the early funk rock band to the later more song-orientated one is something that never bothered me. Venice Queen is my favourite CPs song, as much as I love the early stuff; not much funk or rap in that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doctor J said:

It's inoffensive, yes, but I like more than that in music and there's not really anything else there which will make me want to listen to it again or buy the CD.

I think inoffensive hits the nail on the head. I'm not a massive chillies fan, but this seems to just plod along nicely and wouldn't make me go out and seek more if it was my first exposure to them. 

Does Kiedis look a bit Chuck Norris there?

image.png.18dbe7da1a06d19eba17e08df06f1a7d.png 

Edited by Jonesy
fat fingers - typo
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, steantval said:

Not bad, unfortunately the guitarists lead playing has not improved, his lead work has always sounded disjointed to me with lots of inaccurate string bends.👎

John Frusciante is an absolute guitar god. His playing is just on another level to anyone. IMO.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

I've read a lot of silly things on here but you win the rosette! 

I stand by what I say, his rhythm playing is great, unfortunately in my mind, his lead playing is not.

Each to their own, we can’t all think everyone is great.

Now, where’s my rosette.

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Think I read somewhere the album is in the 'style' of Stadium Arcadium. Personally I quite like that era, obviously it won't be for all and they are  probably never going to do another Uplift Mofo Party Plan style album. After the last few years I'm just glad a lot of the bands I liked as a 'youngster' are still out there playing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steantval said:

Not bad, unfortunately the guitarists lead playing has not improved, his lead work has always sounded disjointed to me with lots of inaccurate string bends.👎

Love how you think he'd sit in a studio and accept the take if it was off in any way.  It's his style, man!  One of the most iconic styles ever recorded.

• Like 3

It's odd as a lead single.  Their lead singes on every record I can remember have far more energy to it than this.  Makes me a tad concerned about the album. 

Certainly agree it has Californication B Side vibes, which was Frusciante's first album back last time as well.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1