Why become a member? ×

Best bass under £400

jackreacher193

Still some cracking deals out there for G&L Tribute basses, but the net's closing in and they'll soon be above your £400 threshold I reckon.  Out of the ones which can be had for <£400 the SB-2 is my pick of the bunch followed by the Kiloton (Guitarguitar still doing both of them for £399).  If you prefer Jazz basses then the JB-2 (think Jazz with a P body) can be had for £329 still at Andertons.

I don't think these post Christmas sale prices will hang about much longer.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2022 at 11:24, Pea Turgh said:

The Sire P-bass with the roasted maple neck and rolled fingerboard edges would be top of my list if I were starting again.

I've just been looking at those, don't really know much about Sire but this seems to have a good spec.

What are these like compared to the squier cv's?

8 minutes ago, jackreacher193 said:

I've just been looking at those, don't really know much about Sire but this seems to have a good spec.

I’ve never tried one, but Sire enjoy a good reputation and the reviews are excellent - seen other people compare the two brands on YouTube etc, and the Sires come off better.

As everyone says though, go try one in a shop first.  Or buy online and use the distance selling regs to return it if it’s shite!

1 hour ago, jackreacher193 said:

Scott Devine just posted a blind sound comparison of a top end Sire against a $12000 Fodera.  I couldn't tell the two apart. FWIW. I've had four. The early ones were on a par with Squiers buildwise, a league beyond in terms of sound and electrics, at an amazing price point.  I believe the generation 2 models have moved the build quality too up to the point where Scott called it ' a professional bass'. If you reckon a pro bass to be an Overwater or good Fender, say, at around £2-3k, then at £800 the Sire is still amazing value.  And of course that's the top of the range, you can get the cheaper Sires for under £300.    

Edited by lownote
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, lownote said:

Scott Devine just posted a blind sound comparison of a top end Sire against a $12000 Fodera.  I couldn't tell the two apart. FWIW. I've had four. The early ones were on a par with Squiers buildwise, a league beyond in terms of sound and electrics, at an amazing price point.  I believe the generation 2 models have moved the build quality too up to the point where Scott called it ' a professional bass'. If you reckon a pro bass to be an Overwater or good Fender, say, at around £2-3k, then at £800 the Sire is still amazing value.  And of course that's the top of the range, you can get the cheaper Sires for under £300.    

I just saw that video and thought the Sire sounded better!

• Thanks 1

Can't go wrong with a Squier but I did try out a Yamaha TRBX304 and was quite impressed, especially as an all rounder. And have to say, I haven't tried the Revelation basses but if I had 400 quid to spend I'd give one a go at those prices.

The Squier VM jazz in my profile pic is unbelievable for the money. Can't remember exactly how much it was but I know I'd buy another in a heartbeat. All I changed was the strings and knobs, rest is stock and it really sings. 

One that has caught my eye is the Sire P5 for £325 or thereabouts, looks lovely with the roasted maple and meant to be fantastic with it. 

Another shout out for the G&L Tribute JB-2. For some reason this model appears to fly under a lot of players radars when looking at the models in the Tribute range, never mind best basses under £400.
It’s a real workhorse Jazz bass for those who don’t want or care for the offset body shape and the pickups sound great to my ears. I’ve never modified any of mine that I’ve owned from stock. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jackreacher193 said:

Ah squier cv 70s. How you finding it.?

Used it for band practice last night

Excellent bass 

Sounds as good as my Player Series and was set up very well out of the box. I can recommend it for anyone looking 

Edited by BassAdder27

New or used, you can get something really nice for that kind of money.

Word for the wise...don't settle for less just because you might be able to find something good for half that money.

In fact, you might find something for a little more, and if it speaks to you when you plug it in, if it feels so good you don't want to put it down, don't let another 50 pounds stop you from buying it.

I have some very nice high-end basses, but I decided to buy a Squier back in September, than, just two weeks ago. I saw another Squier I couldn't pass up.

Both were used, but both turned out to be better than new.

The one on the left cost $150 more than it did when they were new in 2015.

The one on the right cost $100 less than when they were new two years ago.

Sometimes it isn't about how much a bass costs, though, it's about how much a bass is worth.

I'd suggest either one...Squier Classic Vibe or Contemporary Active.

My other basses have been collecting dust since I bought these two!

PhotoCollage_1643345162105.jpg

• Like 1

Glad I started this post as it's given me lots to think about and lots of tips so thanks all.

I'm leaning towards a shoot out between Squier CV 70s P Bass or a Sire P5 - but the Alder Body/Roasted Maple Neck of the Sire is swinging me towards that!

Unless a used Mexican P Bass comes along!

1 hour ago, jackreacher193 said:

Glad I started this post as it's given me lots to think about and lots of tips so thanks all.

I'm leaning towards a shoot out between Squier CV 70s P Bass or a Sire P5 - but the Alder Body/Roasted Maple Neck of the Sire is swinging me towards that!

Unless a used Mexican P Bass comes along!

Different animal I'd have thought. The Sire's superpower is the EQ and its huge range of tones. Fender P is a well made ironing board with strings - if its a well made one, with one tone - if it's what you want. Not knocking it, just saying, the AB is a bit apples and oranges, very much IMHO.

Edited by lownote

On 03/02/2022 at 23:14, jackreacher193 said:

Just rock stuff really. 

That's a very  broad church. It might help if you could narrow down the type of rock you're into.  I mean, a 50's classic vibe would be great for your Buddy Holly tribute band, but a bit lacking in depth and punch if you fancy yourselves as the next System of a Down,

I got a Sire V7 mk2 a few months back ~ definitely one of the best jazzes I’ve played (and I’ve played way too many). They’re bloody heavy though, mines just under 10lbs. They can often be had 2nd hand for under £400. I’m still blown away with the quality at this price point and the preamp is brilliant.