Why become a member? ×

Best bass under £400

jackreacher193

18 hours ago, lownote said:

Different animal I'd have thought. The Sire's superpower is the EQ and its huge range of tones. Fender P is a well made ironing board with strings - if its a well made one, with one tone - if it's what you want. Not knocking it, just saying, the AB is a bit apples and oranges, very much IMHO.

The Sire P5 is a straight up passive Precision. The P7 is the one with the EQ.

I really like the look of the sea foam green P5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jackreacher193 said:

Affinity isn't on the shortlist - the classic vibe is. Thought they were different?

The Affinity was listed in your original post albeit with a question mark. The Affinity probably £100 or so cheaper than the CV and isn’t as well finished so it’s an easy one to discount. It’s not in the same league as the others you’re considering. 

5 minutes ago, Velarian said:

The Affinity was listed in your original post albeit with a question mark. The Affinity probably £100 or so cheaper than the CV and isn’t as well finished so it’s an easy one to discount. It’s not in the same league as the others you’re considering. 

And if you're going that near the shallow end, both Harley Benton and Revolution are cheaper, and better quality. I have had an Affinity and it was OK, it's just that the bass world's offering has changed a lot in say the last five years, both with new players in the field and a ramp up in quality across the board.

Edited by lownote

1 minute ago, lownote said:

And if you're going that near the shallow end, both Harley Benton and Revolution are cheaper, and better quality. I have had an Affinity and it was OK, it's just that the bass world's offering has changed a lot in say the last five years.

No wouldn't be going that low. Want something substantially better than what I've got now. So looking around £400.

I’d get to a couple of shops & try a few different ones out.  Find one that’s good in Your hands. You might have your eyes on a Sire but find it’s not a good fit for you & prefer the slim neck of an Ibby, or a fat P bass neck on a Squier.  Only trying them out will let you know. 

Though it may be hard to find a Sire to try, unless you’re local to one of the very few stockists, or a local BCer with one. 

Edited by xgsjx

25 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

I’d get to a couple of shops & try a few different ones out.  Find one that’s good in Your hands. You might have your eyes on a Sire but find it’s not a good fit for you & prefer the slim neck of an Ibby, or a fat P bass neck on a Squier.  Only trying them out will let you know. 

Though it may be hard to find a Sire to try, unless you’re local to one of the very few stockists, or a local BCer with one. 

This +10.  I have bought unlikely basses that in the flesh lept into my lap begging to be stroked: a Peavey and a Cort 5 and my current Revelation in particular.  I've also had basses that looked a shoe in on paper that once home left me totally cold: a Yamaha in particular, and two Ibanez.  Even within one brand wood and spec (especially string spacing) can make a difference. I really like Sires, but not the ash body versions.  I've had two and had to send them back because I couldnt' get on with the tone. WAY different to alder to my ears. Dunno why, it's just me  Bear in mind if you buy online you can usually return, although the retailer may grump a fair bit.

Edited by lownote
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jackreacher193 said:

Just seen someone by me selling mexican fender P Bass £470. Is that a good price? and noticably different to say a Squier CV?

Could be but some of the older Mex basses were average and no better than Squire.

The advantage I guess is it has Fender on the headstock. 
Make sure it’s genuine by checking serial number as there are many fakes around 

Just seen someone by me selling mexican fender P Bass £470. Is that a good price? and noticably different to say a Squier CV?

11 minutes ago, jackreacher193 said:

serial number checks out - its a 2016/2017 Mex  P Bass

Decent price, if it plays well snap it up.

Andertons have Sire P5's for less than £400. I think the V5's are also under £400.

Sqiuers, loads of them around. You can't really go wrong with the to be honest. My Squier Vintage Modified P bass was only £150 second hand, but that was before prices went a bit silly.

Mate of mine has the Stirling, he loves it.  I must admit it sounds great. 

I'm probably one of the only people on here who is at best indifferent to Yamaha's. The one I had was no better built than my cheaper Ibanez and was the dullest sounding bass I've ever owned.

Ibanez are good. If you need spares for them though, in my experience,  they're awful.

G&L, as others have said, is good stuff. I know a few who play then

If you haven't picked up that MIM PBass yet then this'd be my choice......

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180807331012008--gl-tribute-sb-2-black-frost-black-pickguard

The SB2 Tribute has been mentioned before, but they really are great basses and guitar guitar have taken them down to £359. Same pups and bridge as a full fat USA, slim jazz neck, light body, perfect balance and a really cool matte finish. What's not to love?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely settled on a P Bass.

I've basically come down to two I think!

A new Sire P-5. Looks lovely and the reviews are really good.

Other option is a used Mexican Fender.

To be honest everything about the Sire looks lovely. Its just having the Fender name?!

And there just happens to be a as new P 5 for sale on here saving £80 off the new price...:ph34r: