Why become a member? ×

Best bass under £400

jackreacher193

What are you wanting to do with it? Do you want to play a particular style of music? Do you have any songs in mind with a tone you want to emulate? Any considerations like weight, or how big/small you’d prefer the neck to be?

My best answer will always be go down to the local shop and play EVERYTHING, even the stuff you would otherwise write off. 

If that isn’t possible, knowing more about what you’re after will help me help you 😊

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jackreacher193 said:

Thanks, yes appreciate depends on what want to do with it.

Just rock stuff really. 

No jazz, funk, pop, blues 

Then any of the options you mention would be just fine. Personally, I’d get some kind of Precision Bass. 

Check the used market, as you will definitely find a Mexican Precision for not far off £400 if you aren’t in a hurry. 

If you want it now, a Squier Classic Vibe will see you right. There are 60’s and 70’s models available but the only differences are aesthetic. 

2 hours ago, jackreacher193 said:

Squier CV 60s / 70s P Bass?

Also seen a used Yamaha BB424x

I've one of the older CVs (a Matt Freeman sig) and a similar age BB424. The Yamaha cost less but feels higher quality across the board. The neck in particular feels both more solid and more carefully finished.

The P on the other hand is lighter, and, being a standard P, allowed me to put a Dimarzio in (tho that meant it was no longer a sub-£400 bass)

These days £400 gets you some superb basses new, too many to list realistically, that will all be great. 

There's an even better selection second hand. 

It all depends what sort of thing you want, traditional, modern, solid, hollow, fretted, fretless, 4,5 or more string. 

What's the best sub £400 bass? Yes. 

But get the BB424, if you can squeeze a tiny bit more into the budget or be patient, you could even get a BB1024. 🙂👍

If you are set on buying new I would also take a peep at the Retrovibe website - David's basses are exceptionally good vfm. 

But, really, buying secondhand will get you so much more bass for your dollar.  And if you are buying blind you can't go wrong with a Yamaha BB424 which leaves you some change.

• Like 1

If wanting a Fender type instrument I`d hold out for a Mex Fender if possible. The Squiers are good, CVs & VMs especially so, but the actual Fenders are easier to do mods on such as scratchplates (for some reason Squier ones are different) and tuners. If of course you`re not the modding type then the Squiers are def worth getting.

There's quite a few great basses in your budget in the "For Sale" section on here...

But like others have said, it's down to what your criteria is.  E.g. styles of music, who you want to sound like, how many strings, etc.

I'd look at these brands, but don't limit to just these...

Ibanez

Sire

Sterling

Squier

https://www.basschat.co.uk/forum/19-basses-for-sale/

I’ve just gone through this getting a back up bass.

I had a Sterling Stingray Sub 4 but I didn’t like it compared to my PBass 

Had a low cost Yamaha TRBX174 and they are good for the money but ..,

I would definitely look at the Squire Classic Vibe series PBass or Jazz as I think they are very nice for the money. 

Later they are easy to sell on or upgrade etc 

Like many basses around the lower end in price some quality issues creep in. My new Squire is being replaced by Andertons as the pickup was playing up and cutting out !

Apart from that it’s a lovely bass9655418A-F2C8-4A3B-94B6-03C7890A50E1.thumb.jpeg.1448c1dc89d3217a00f1bbcd03347072.jpeg

12 hours ago, Pinball said:

I notice that Andertons have a whole bunch of G&L's for sale under £400. Includes LB's, JB's and fallouts. Maybe worth a look as they are great basses for the money.

That sounds like a good deal...

I love cheap basses. I've had a few and honourable mentions go to Harley Benton and Retrovibe.

If I had £400 to spend on a budget bass, I be looking for a secondhand Indonesian Squier P/J. I've had two or three of these and the quality is great - equally as good as a Mexi Fender, in my experience. They used to go for around £100-£120, but people have got wise to how great they are, but they are still incredible value. Solidly made, versatile basses - that goes for the Indo Squier Jazz and Precision basses, too. Get one of those and a secondhand Zoom B3 and you'll still have change for a couple of good quality leads and a gig bag.

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

But, really, buying secondhand will get you so much more bass for your dollar.  And if you are buying blind you can't go wrong with a Yamaha BB424 which leaves you some change.

This.

There are some lovely used basses available for around £400.

I bought a Japanese Bacchus Craft Series jazz style bass on Basschat last year for £450.00 & it's up there with the very best basses I've owned.

I'd definitely recommend a G&L Tribute SB-2 for value for money. Indonesian budget but with USA pickups. I prefer the sound to a Squier for similar money. They're £489 at Andertons but £399 at Guitar Guitar.

I'm still tempted by one of the Jazz style G&Ls too, starting at £329 or £399 with block inlays and scratchplate.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

If wanting a Fender type instrument I`d hold out for a Mex Fender if possible. The Squiers are good, CVs & VMs especially so, but the actual Fenders are easier to do mods on such as scratchplates (for some reason Squier ones are different) and tuners. If of course you`re not the modding type then the Squiers are def worth getting.

I've had 40+ bassess of all sorts and valued from £800 down to £25.  There were some amazing bargains to be had but hands down the best overall quality tone, playability and build balance belonged to a £300 secondhand MiM Fender P bass.  I'm not specially a Fender bunny, just saying that was my experience...

Edited by lownote