Why become a member? ×

Unscratchable Itch

Stofferson

Hello fine bass chatters.

I wonder if anyone else suffers from the great unscratchable itch. 

My pedal board is 99% perfection for my needs, after years of farting about buying and selling bits and bobs, combined with my bass, amp and cab I have my perfect clean tone.

I also have an awesome fuzz, perfect overdrive. Problem is I have a 4 way switcher and 1 slot left to fill, and no matter what I just can't find anything.

Do I need another fuzz? naah, overdrive nah? aside from varying gain stages, what other useable effects are there for bass.

Set up as it stands

Bass into:

Variable HPF

EHX Bass Preacher

Gigrig 4 way switcher to:

1 - **Empty**

2 - Chorus

3 - Overdrive

4 - Fuzz

Geezer wah

Sansamp.

To amp.

I play rock, grungey bass driven stoner stuff, so I have ample room to stand out and not just sit at the back. 

Tried various Octavers, I wouldn't get much use out of it, Filters/synth - again not my bag.

Just sold a load of excess pedals I don't need as for the first time in years i'm happy with what I currently have, aside from a slot open to do something.

What is out there!

• Like 1

With what else you`ve got there not sure if compression worth a try. Might be a bit of a strange suggestion, but what`s the one pedal you can`t do without/is integral to your sound? Maybe double up on it. I`ve seen other people adopt this approach when a pedal forms literally the backbone of their whole sound.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

With what else you`ve got there not sure if compression worth a try. Might be a bit of a strange suggestion, but what`s the one pedal you can`t do without/is integral to your sound? Maybe double up on it. I`ve seen other people adopt this approach when a pedal forms literally the backbone of their whole sound.

I have the bass preacher near the starts to even things out.

As for cant do without pedals, the HPF/Comp/Sansamp in that order just is my clean tone, combined with the EQ on my Ashdown head. Thats perfect for me though, that doesn't need to change.

Maybe more Modulation or a subby fuzz, I dunno someone needs to invent a whole new affect? Whale noises maybe haha

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yeah of course, always forget the preacher is compression, for some reason my brain automatically registers it as fuzz.

I think it's the Soul aspect of the name, Soul food, Soul preacher etc. well in my head that's where i get lost haha

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

Octaver before fuzz sounds pretty massive in a wall of stoner doom kind of way, but if that's not your bag - perhaps a Phaser, can sound good either before or after dirt.

Current Fuzz is the Latent Lemon Brassmaster, So has the sneaky upper octave, didn't react well to a nano pog before it, but sounds mint on it's own, I was interested in the MXR sub octave fuzz thing, ended up getting the Okta Nojs but that did not like my bass. MXR sub is still on the cards potentially

• Like 1

I'd always recommend an octaver or an envelope filter, but as you don't want those how about something more out there like a ring modulator or a Meatbox style sub? 

(Or a delay or phaser would be cool, and more sensible. Less fun though)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lee650 said:

A Tuner? A POG isn't the right octave to feed into fuzz, but a boss LS2 will enable you to run an Octave and fuzz in parallel, which sounds massive.

+1 to phaser

Sorry forgot to add there is a tuber on there haha,

Have a boss ls-2, had many options going through it, space is at a premium so an ls2 and 2 more pedals won't fit currently 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I'd always recommend an octaver or an envelope filter, but as you don't want those how about something more out there like a ring modulator or a Meatbox style sub? 

(Or a delay or phaser would be cool, and more sensible. Less fun though)

A meat box style effect would be a cool route to go down cheers