Why become a member? Ɨ

Speakon cable connection for Mesa D-800 & Mesa Subway 1X15. Advice?

Bassfingers

Hi,

Ā 

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out hereĀ šŸ¤ž

Ā 

I have a Mesa D-800 amp and a recently acquired Mesa Subway 1X15 cab.

Ā 

According to the owner's manual I need a cable with NL-2MP Speakon plugs to connect the two.

Ā 

The amp has a NL4FC connector.

Ā 

Iā€™ve only used the D-800 through headphones so far.

Ā 

I tried a cable with NL2FX plugs but got nothing. Ā 

Ā 

Any Mesa owners out there? What are you using to connect to your cab?

Ā 

Thanks in advance.Ā ā˜ŗļø

Ā 

Ā 

Speakon connectors should be universally compatible with each other, provided they are all genuine Neutrik Speakon products. I assume, as you have a Mesa, that it uses the real thing and not a cheap knockoff. The 2FX plug is a newer version of the older 2MP. They should substitute for one another.

Ā 

TheĀ NL4FC is a plug. I would expect your amp to have a NL4MP, which is the panel mount socket. The number refers to how many poles the plug/socket has (2 versions have 2 and 4s, 4). Normally, poles 1 and 1+ are used for two core cable when using a 4 pole Speakon connector. Does your manual say which poles are connected?

Hi Dan, thanks - I appreciate the response.Ā 

Ā 

In the manual it says the connector is wired with the amplifier positive to terminal ā€œ1+ā€ and the amplifier negative to terminal ā€œ1-ā€œ.

Ā 

Perhaps I should give the NL2FX cable another go - maybe I didn't twist it on enough?Ā 

7 minutes ago, Bassfingers said:

Hi Dan, thanks - I appreciate the response.Ā 

Ā 

In the manual it says the connector is wired with the amplifier positive to terminal ā€œ1+ā€ and the amplifier negative to terminal ā€œ1-ā€œ.

Ā 

Perhaps I should give the NL2FX cable another go - maybe I didn't twist it on enough?Ā 

Ā 

That's what I'd expect and, in that case, a 2FX should work (I omitted the - from pole 1 above). If you've made up the cable yourself, open it up and check that there aren't any stray strands going where they shouldn't, which could create a short in the plug. You need to push the plug into the socket and turn it clockwise until you feel it it click. To release it, pull back on the silver locking tab and turn anti-clockwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1