Why become a member? ×

Pop songs with good bass and drums!

Waddycall

I have a bit of a try out with a newish band in a months time. I know the guitar player and the singer (the three of us are in another band)but not the drummer. The guitar player knows the drummer and thinks the drummer and I will play together well. He’s asked for song suggestions that we could learn that would be a good test for bass and drum co-operation. We’re looking more at pop than rock and it’s not really an area I’ve got a lot of experience in! We have one so far which is probably typical of the kind of thing we’re taking about and that’s Rio by Duran Duran. Can anyone suggest any others?

by the way I’m rubbish at slap!

cheers

Edited by Waddycall

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

My Sharona by The Knack, but check out the awesome version by Phil X & The Drills to hear how good it really is on bass & drums.

+1 for My Sharona, especially Phil X & The Drills version, they seem to cover a song and improve it in many cases.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Paul S said:

A band I was in for a few years used to do a lot of this kind of thing.  Couple more :) 

Psycho Killer, Talking Heads

Is She Really Going Out With Him, Joe Jackson 

American Girl, Tom Petty

Psycho killer coulda be good - and I know that already 👍

13 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I think Psycokiller is good for bass, but not a showcase for a drummer…. If that’s what you’re after.

I read it as drums/bass locking together rather than a chops showcase.  Could be wrong.

How about Radar Love, if a bit a Dad rock is acceptable?

• Like 1

I'm guessing you'd want to keep things on the upbeat side and mostly recognisable to most punters though that depends on the average age of the audience.

If mostly in their 50s and 60s then it's 70s and 80s - That's The Way I Like it (KC and the Sunshine Band), Boogie Nights (Heatwave), Play That Funky Music (Wild Cherry), Hot Love (T Rex), She Bangs The Drums (Stone Roses), Rip It Up (Orange Juice), Pull Up To The Bumper (Grace Jones). Sure these lean towards the disco/funk side of things but the bass is quite prominent. The opening to Boogie Nights has a tasty bass riff and a really nice line throughout.