Why become a member? ×

QSC 10 or 12 or at all?

Tripehound

I'm running a Helix LT straight into an RCF line array PA (the rest of the band are also DI including drums) and use an Alto TS212 as my monitor. As I (try to) sing as well I have a personal mix of mostly bass, vocal and drums - I can hear quite enough of the others thank you!

Of late I've been wondering whether I should invest in something better as I'm playing a bass that cost about 10 times what I'm listening to it through and QSC seem to be very highly regarded. 

I'd thought in terms of 12" but have recently found that QSC recommend the 10" version - and I'm not sure whether the return is worth the investment. I'd be really grateful for any recommendations, advice, experience etc.

31 minutes ago, Tripehound said:

late I've been wondering whether I should invest in something better as I'm playing a bass that cost about 10 times what I'm listening to it through

You could buy a cheaper bass? Seriousley, some of the better PA cabs are very good QSC, RCF and Yamaha are worth a look. @Phil Starrhas some RCF 10s that sound pretty good. Maybe he can advise.

• Like 1

Yeah we use RCF ART310's as floor monitors. They go to incredible levels before feeding back (courtesy of a nice flat response) and vocals are done really well. Bass is good but a bit heavy because they are designed to be on poles.

I used the 310's as floor monitors at a jam night I used to run where a few bands were silly loud. The 310's didn't blink. I'm not saying they are the final word in monitoring, they would't do for a really huge stage but for a gigging band I honestly don't think you need to spend more.

I've also used them for bass both on the floor and on poles. On poles its as good a bass sound as I've ever had. Very like the sound I get at home through my £150 Sennheiser headphones.

The one thing I ought to say though is that it sounds like you have a bit of a volume war going on, It might be better to shift to in-ears for your hearing's sake.

• Like 1

I'm running an HX Stomp into a QSC K12.2, and I have to say, it's brilliant, I play 5 string and it handles the B very well, I was a bit sceptical about it as I came down from a Barefaced Big Twin T and a Crown power amp, but it's been faultless so far. I can't comment on the 10" version, I'm sure it's very good, I like 12" speakers...

• Like 1

The RCF line array PA is a marvellous thing - I should probably look at the ARTs as well as the QSC speakers. Farting out has been an issue with the Alto but I think that may be curable with a HPF in my Helix patch. When it comes to IEMs - well I've tried repeatedly (even had a Backbeat for a while) but just couldn't get on with them. If I was doing this for a living then I'd probably persist but they took the joy out of it for me. A bit like Wintermute I like 12" speakers as well but suspect it may be one of them plus a sack truck...