Why become a member? ×

NPD: Boss ODB-3 Overdrive

bassist_lewis

I bought this pedal for £25 from a friend who doesn't play much bass anymore, and honestly wasn't expecting much (I have some prejudices against the mass produced pedals). BUT I plugged it in this evening and holy s**t, this overdrive sounds so good! Its got basic bass/treble EQ, mix, level and gain. With everything at 12 it's a bit aggressive but a very useable starting point. I found trimming the top end and putting the mix at 3 o'clock (towards dry) gave me a nice bit of grind while still feeling the sound of my bass.

I'd honestly put this up there with the Xotic BB Preamp and JHS Morning Glory as pretty transparent overdrive. I regret anything bad I ever thought or said about Boss.

• Like 1

I get the prejudice against Boss. I felt like that for a while until I realised that a few of my favourite pedals are made by them. It's easy to get caught in the boutique pedal world, but Boss make quality pedals (and they are bomb proof). I love 'em.

32 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

I don’t really rate them for modulation effects, there are MUCH better phasers and choruses out there for similar money, but for guitar overdrives and distortions they’re exceptional for the money, and virtually indestructible.

I don't mind their modulation pedals- I especially love the old BF-2 Flanger. 

You can’t really go wrong with Boss gear, and £25 is exceptional value.   Darkglass Alpha Omicron and Duality eventually kicked my ODB-3 off my board, but it served me well for years, and I sold it for more than I paid for it.  

• 2 weeks later...