Why become a member? ×

My first setup

Biscuit_Bass

I recognise that handwriting! And I also recognise those numbers. He won't have dropped it as low as it will go, but to a place which is safe for all styles of playing. If you play with a very light touch, it's worth demonstrating that to him, so he understands what is suitable for you.

If you find that you wished he had lowered it a bit further, that adjustment is included in the price you have already paid, and can be done while you wait. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I recognise that handwriting! And I also recognise those numbers. He won't have dropped it as low as it will go, but to a place which is safe for all styles of playing. If you play with a very light touch, it's worth demonstrating that to him, so he understands what is suitable for you.

If you find that you wished he had lowered it a bit further, that adjustment is included in the price you have already paid, and can be done while you wait. 

You also in the York area then? :D

Seems like a good guy and knows his stuff. Being such a new player I don't really know what my style is yet but I did feel the stock set up was too high and just didn't look right even to me. Immediately feels nicer to play and I think I'll take it back to Chris in 6 months time if I feel anything needs changing.

• Like 1

When he set up my Squier last year, I found it a little too high for my very gentle touch – I had forgotten to remind him just how light I play – so I wandered back down to him and he dropped the action basically as far as it would go. A couple of weeks ago I returned to him as I wanted some further work done on that bass. He looked gobsmacked at how low the action was 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A ‘comfortable’ action will vary a great deal from player to player. It’s how it feels to you that is important. 

As an example, If those measurements are in mm, that’s at least twice my normal action height. But then you might not like an action that suits me. Others might prefer it much higher than that. 

Work with it and see how it feels. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 2

I feel the action is a bit too high. I can't see the measurement for relief either.

And this isn't a reflection at all on the person or there setup skills by the way. Just I also charge people for a instrument work and feel that's a bit high. 

Really speaking ive found most people like somewhere in this region. On a 4 string, with standard tuning. 

E should be, 2.3mm - 2mm.

A 2mm and lower,

D 1.75 to 1.5 mm sometimes lower.

G 1.75 - 1.5 and lower.

Measured at the 17th fret.

Relief .009 - .004. Measured at the 7th fret. Sometimes vintage radius boards 7.5, 9.5 need more relief.

Pretty much any bass should be able to do these figures. 

Even though it may seem, that those numbers are not that different to yours, half a mm here and there, is a huge difference in playability. 

My current setup is 2.2mm to 1.3mm, relief .004. For comparison. 

I always feel that the “how high should the action be” discussions are pretty futile as it is so personal.

2.3mm through 2mm E-G and 12-15 thou relief works fine for me with my moderately heavy hands and personal tolerance for buzzing and fret-slap, but someone with a light touch could undoubtedly go a lot flatter and lower. It would be unplayable buzz-city for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

I always feel that the “how high should the action be” discussions are pretty futile as it is so personal.

2.3mm through 2mm E-G and 12-15 thou relief works fine for me with my moderately heavy hands and personal tolerance for buzzing and fret-slap, but someone with a light touch could undoubtedly go a lot flatter and lower. It would be unplayable buzz-city for me.

True. 

Will Lee liked his strings plus 3mm and still complained of fret buzz haha. According to Rodger sadowsky 

I do feel for a beginner as the op I think stated, then lower action is better. 

20 hours ago, Twincam said:

I feel the action is a bit too high. I can't see the measurement for relief either.

And this isn't a reflection at all on the person or there setup skills by the way. Just I also charge people for a instrument work and feel that's a bit high. 

Really speaking ive found most people like somewhere in this region. On a 4 string, with standard tuning. 

E should be, 2.3mm - 2mm.

A 2mm and lower,

D 1.75 to 1.5 mm sometimes lower.

G 1.75 - 1.5 and lower.

Measured at the 17th fret.

Relief .009 - .004. Measured at the 7th fret. Sometimes vintage radius boards 7.5, 9.5 need more relief.

Pretty much any bass should be able to do these figures. 

Even though it may seem, that those numbers are not that different to yours, half a mm here and there, is a huge difference in playability. 

My current setup is 2.2mm to 1.3mm, relief .004. For comparison. 

It feels a lot nicer to play already. He did say he hadn't gone as low as he could because I'm so new to playing. I can always go lower if I feel like trying it further down the line, but it's quite a change from the stock setup the guitar arrived with.

Liking it so far!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biscuit_Bass said:

It feels a lot nicer to play already. He did say he hadn't gone as low as he could because I'm so new to playing. I can always go lower if I feel like trying it further down the line, but it's quite a change from the stock setup the guitar arrived with.

Liking it so far!

Good to hear. And if your happy with it that is what counts. And yes certainly from 3 plus mill to in the 2s will feel totally different.