Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbird - how heavy? (edit - also Classic Pro?)

Paul S

Having hastily sold a lightweight Gibson Thunderbird I am mulling over the idea of replacing it but - ever the tightwad :) - without paying Gibson money.  I understand the 'Vintage Pro' is is the pick of the Epiphone Thunderbirds.  Can anyone who has one please weigh it?  Be interested to know if they are consistent.

Muchas gracias :) 

Edit - also wondering about the Classic Pro, how it compares weight-wise.  Or anything else-wise, actually.  I had kind of disocounted it for no particular reason but reading more it looks like a cracking bass as well.

Edited by Paul S

I wouldn't call them lightweight, but they don't feel excessively heavy to me either. My tobacco sunburst one comes in at around 9lb using the bathroom scales method, and although I've not weighed it, I'm pretty certain that my alpine white one will be about the same, but it's asleep in its case at the moment. One caveat is that I replaced the tuners with a set of Gotoh res-o-lite GB640 on each, which may have reduced the weight by a fraction. There's nothing wrong with the stock wilkinsons; the Gotohs look ultra cool and complete the 60s vibe for me.

They are great basses and sound as good as they look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had three and the weight has varied. None have been particularly heavy.

I too replaced the machine heads with Gotohs, like @Jean-Luc Pickguard , but this was purely for appearances. I even added an ebony thumbrest - useless but looks great!  

Wonderful basses, if you find a good one. Mine was one of the first in the country and has a lovely dark fingerboard. 

20180918_201529.thumb.jpg.7b2c57b66c54af5b2518c7a726c1e06f.jpg20180918_201555.thumb.jpg.ec9a78288798968e5a4a74d90c1ac349.jpg

• Like 2

I had an Ebony one and hands down, it was the heaviest bass I have ever owned. Sold it on purely for that reason. My Gibson Thunderbird is probably my lightest bass but whilst the Epi looked great with the black and chrome, I'm too close to 50 to be gigging a weight like that. Sounds like they do lighter ones so possibly one not to buy before you can try. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

You're welcome to pop in and have a go next time you're south of the river Paul 😁

Thanks Ben, might just do that. 

I read The Apparation Phase and enjoyed it, btw :)  I'm currently ploughing my way through a boxed set of old 30s and 40s horror that I think you'd enjoy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

Mine wasn't even close to heavy...8.5 lbs.

Sadly for me 8.5lbs is bang on heavy as it is at the very edge of what I can use.

35 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I had an Ebony one and hands down, it was the heaviest bass I have ever owned. Sold it on purely for that reason. My Gibson Thunderbird is probably my lightest bass but whilst the Epi looked great with the black and chrome, I'm too close to 50 to be gigging a weight like that. Sounds like they do lighter ones so possibly one not to buy before you can try. 

I'm on a crash course for 65 so maybe should think twice :D   My Gibson 'bird was 8lbs and I really shouldn't have sold it - maybe I could have that inscribed on my headstone :D.  Trouble is I go through phases of thinking they are a young, slim person's bass, not a thick-waisted old man.  Then occasionally I think I don't actually care and and the GAS starts all over again. :D 

Any music stores in your area with this one?

If so, drop in and try one out.

Mine is 7.9 lbs, Korina...they're all in that weight zone.

Reverend Thundergun.

I actually had a deposit on a Thunderbird a few years ago. When I went back to pay off the balance, the staff was very busy so I took a look at what they had hanging up and saw one of these. Picked it up, plugged it in, and five minutes later, I knew I was going home with this instead.

PicsArt_09-15-01.20.41.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk

• Paul S changed the title to Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbird - how heavy? (edit - also Classic Pro?)

Was is it about the Thunderbird you're after, tone or looks? 

If it's the whole image then as you were. But if it's just the tone then how about the Epiphone Embassy? 

From what I understand the pickups and electrics are the same as the vintage pro Thunderbird, and in a very similar position, bridge PU looks identical, neck PU looks to be slightly further neckwards than the Thunderbird. 

I haven't weighed mine but I think they're lighter than the Thunderbird. 

Maybe worth a look?. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maude said:

Was is it about the Thunderbird you're after, tone or looks? 

If it's the whole image then as you were. But if it's just the tone then how about the Epiphone Embassy? 

From what I understand the pickups and electrics are the same as the vintage pro Thunderbird, and in a very similar position, bridge PU looks identical, neck PU looks to be slightly further neckwards than the Thunderbird. 

I haven't weighed mine but I think they're lighter than the Thunderbird. 

Maybe worth a look?. 

Probably looks and tone equally.  Something about the look of a Thunderbird that I find appealing.  And, try as I might, I don't get the same thrill looking at an Embassy.

From what I have read both the Classic Pro and Vintage Pro sound and feel authentic: the Classic being darker and more like the modern Gibsons, the Vintage having a brighter sound more in line with the first 60s models.  That plus the bridge being the main differences.  I am hoping that weight might also be a thing.  

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

Probably looks and tone equally.  Something about the look of a Thunderbird that I find appealing.  And, try as I might, I don't get the same thrill looking at an Embassy.

That's fair enough and I completely get it. 

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

From what I have read both the Classic Pro and Vintage Pro sound and feel authentic: the Classic being darker and more like the modern Gibsons, the Vintage having a brighter sound more in line with the first 60s models.  That plus the bridge being the main differences.  I am hoping that weight might also be a thing.  

For what it's worth, in use I much prefer the Embassy / Vintage Pro Thunderbird bridge and tailpiece over the three point bridge. But once set up it's kind of irrelevant. 

But then I think I prefer the look of the classic three point bridge. 

Helpful aren't I? 😄

• Haha 1

I know exactly what you mean.  I do find the 3 point clunky but, then again, can live with it.  The Vintage pro/Embassy one looks like a more efficient solution even if it isn't quite as appealing.  Also I rest my hand on the bridge when I palm mute and it looks like it would be more comfy than the 3 point.  At the end of the day I think it will boil down to weight.  As soon as either a Classic or Vintage turns up that is under 8.5lbs that will chest the tape.

• 3 months later...

Spooky that this thread should come to the top. Just looking at T Bird pros at the moment. Unfortunately, based where I am, there are no Epiphone dealers, so a bit of guidance would be great. Main bass is a Yamaha 734, so my question is, playing wise, how would the T Bird compare to this?

Cheers

D

1 hour ago, Rastus said:

Wow 

just taken delivery of one of these t birds and all I can say is 

wow

having had a USA t bird this is easily as good and with a better sound

mine weighs in at 9lbs

well pleased 

Yes, I neglected to update this thread but managed to acquire, courtesy of @pst62 Pete one of the Classic Pro basses that weighs just 8lbs.  Like you, I had a USA one and, like, you, would say this Epiphone stacks up nicely against it.  Were I to change the headstock decal (which I won't) I would guarantee no-one would notice the difference.