Why become a member? ×

Dual input amps?

BardoJ

Any dual input amps out there that will handle a billy Sheehan "the wife" style bass with dual output for each pickup? Or will something like a trs dual mono splitter wire work? I basically want my dual output bass to go into one amp. Ta

Those GR dual-channel basses are lush, but ever so slightly more expensive than a pedal!

There are options out there ... have a look at https://www.gak.co.uk/en/two-notes-audio-engineering-le-bass-preamp/127076?gclid=Cj0KCQiArt6PBhCoARIsAMF5wahuZQRnGykVb6ncZ1CtWcbK8IZQDtfDCJZfaxrqA97KR_KxCM8Uz38aArIaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They're definitely more expensive than a pedal sure, but in comparison to other amps, £975 for an Italian made 1400w dual channel (and that's 1400w through one channel) with built in tuner and a very usable overdrive is pretty decent! And all weighing a mere 3.5kg. And it swerves the need for adding a pedal to the chain! 

4 minutes ago, obbm said:

Everybody is over-thinking this requirement.  The simplest and cheapest solution is a 2 into 1 mixer cable.  A pair of jack sockets into a jack plug incorporating a couple of resistors.

Never! This is BassChat! We go all in or we don't bother. 😁

• Haha 2

It would be best to have a dual channel amp. That way you can EQ each channel to suit the tone that you want for each pickup. A dual input amp would mix the pickups at the input.

Billy talks a bit about his bass here. They are tracking into a Neve 1073 clone made by BAE (Mark the guitar player’s company).

• 4 months later...

Hiya everyone,

I really appreciate the help with this. As tempting as not splurging out on some kind of y wire was, I elected for the GR dual preamp and believe I was right to do so. Being able to control each pick up is really important. I even sent Billy Sheehan a message over Facebook and he was kind enough to get back. What a good egg!

The reason I elected for the pre amp and not the amp was I also have my pedal board and dual linking up each one of ,y pedals out to an amp seemed like too much of a headache. I’m also often using someone else’s amp or going straight into a PA, having previously used just my fender downtown pre amp when this occurred, I now use it in conjunction with grbass pre because of the tubey goodness it provides.

I’ve achieved total happiness with my rig, tone and bass now!

For those of you who may be curious about the bass, I’ve attempted to attach a picture. Lord knows if it’ll work until I post this. You’ll notice a few differences to Sheehans bass. The colour, the 51 p neck as a-posed to the telecaster neck and moving the control knobs further away from the pickup which is pure;y a comfort thing. I’m dead happy with i!

So thank you everyone for the help

397FC9A0-F686-4466-9534-BF741CB5FF92.jpeg

• Like 1