Why become a member? ×

AMPEG SVT8 PRO VS TC BH800

nick_gontarski

Hello lads
I recently gift myself with an Aguilar GS412 1200w 4ohms. 

I was using a TC Electronic BH800, but for some gigs I was pushing it too much (70-80% on the master volume). 
So I found this Ampeg SVT8 Pro in RGC. Bought it. 
Today I manage to do an A-B test, and surprisingly BH800 was louder! Not better, but louder. 
The Ampeg tone is amazing, and the preamp is really versatile, but can't keep up with BH800 sound pressure. 
I'm using the Ampeg for two weeks for rehearsals and study at home. When I change to BH800 I can see how muddy it is. Lack of clarity, but f***ing loud!
SVT8 Pro is  1300-Watts @ 4 ohms

BH800 800-Watts @ 4 ohms

Any thoughts about that?

Have you compared any of this amps?

Same cab?

I think TC use some pretty clever compression and filtering to achieve the loudness, so an HPF and a compressor dialled in for loudness might get you close with the ampeg??

my main concern however is for your ears!! I can’t imagine a situation in which I’d need to be louder than that Ampeg, but you may be playing Wembley…

yeah... I think the same about TC
I set up the input gain just before led light blinks. Master almost 100% and its not as loud as BH800 at 70%. 
I play some reggae/ska gigs without PA/Subwoofer. So I need a loud rig to shake some walls. 
Tonight will be my first gig using the Ampeg head... lets see how it goes... I'll have my BH800 as backup anyways. 

I had a TC BQ 500 - Which I think is similar to the BH800 without Toneprint. It was definitely loud enough, but not necessarily good.

At louder volume, I definitely think there was some compression going on in the background, the notes would feel unnaturally long and you would lose dynamics. It felt really odd playing in a band with it.

It probably (and unfairly) put me off Class D, so I have moved back to A/B.

5 hours ago, funkydoug said:

Same cab?

I think TC use some pretty clever compression and filtering to achieve the loudness, so an HPF and a compressor dialled in for loudness might get you close with the ampeg??

my main concern however is for your ears!! I can’t imagine a situation in which I’d need to be louder than that Ampeg, but you may be playing Wembley…

That was the RH series. Not the BH. 800w on the BH series really is 800w.

To the OP, I can't even imagine how loud you must be to be maxing out a BH800. The only time I've ever pushed my BH550 to max levels was a huge outdoor gig! And that was ear splitting!

I'd also add, I haven't experienced this compression at volume. The thing that impresses me most about my BH550 is the fact it stays composed, neutral and clean all the way up, volume wise.

Edited by 40hz

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

I can't even imagine how loud you must be to be maxing out a BH80

me too... I'm wearing earplugs all the time 😂

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

The thing that impresses me most about my BH550 is the fact it stays composed, neutral and clean all the way up, volume wise

with the master until 12, 1 o'clock it is alright... from that point, I think something changes... specially the low freq start to get muddy. 
But anyway... strange why ampeg its not keeping up with the TC... it is 1300w vs 800w.

It is a nice little puzzle this...

That Ampeg has that power reduction feature... is that part of the problem?

https://ampeg.com/products/pro/svt8pro/ 

Or...

If you're playing reggae are you maybe using lots of the very low bass that is available on the Ampeg - and thus eating up your own headroom? - while the TC maybe doesn't have the EQ to let you? Try some different settings on that ultra-low dial maybe. If I had to bet, this would be where my money would go. The Ampeg bass dial boost and cuts at 20hz (crikey!) whereas the TC one boosts at 80hz, or cuts at 50hz. If you are turning up the bass on that Ampeg you are probably trading serious lows for loudness.  

https://ampeg.com/pdf/SVT8PRO_OM.pdf 

Edited by funkydoug
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, funkydoug said:

t is a nice little puzzle this...

That Ampeg has that power reduction feature... is that part of the problem?

AFAIK the power reduction will work only when you turn the overdrive on... 

17 hours ago, funkydoug said:

If I had to bet, this would be where my money would go

Yeah man... I did my first gig using it yesterday. I was changing the ultra low dial all the time and makes a huge difference. 
I was using the master knob around 2-3 o'clock. Sounding killer. But I was waiting for more power from this gear.