Why become a member? ×

Has your taste in tone changed over the years?

Rayman

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

My tone changes depending on the band I'm in.

Unless you always play the same kind of music it's arrogant to assume you can use a "one size fits all" attitude to your bass sound.

Yep I always pick the sound for the band. The sounds I had for my previous two bands, although both achieved using a Precision, were a fair bit different. And the sound for my current band, again with a Precision is a tad different, though probably more in-keeping with the two bands ago sound than the last.

My taste in other people’s tone hasn’t changed at all. But I alter my tone and style to fit the music. I have a fairly consistent approach to tone in my current band because I made a conscious choice to use that approach and sound at the start, but it’s certainly not the sound or style I would use in every musical scenario. In fact I remember a friend who first saw me playing in a power pop band being a bit taken aback when I turned up at a Moffat Bass Bash playing completely differently. Tbh, I thought that was the norm. 😂

Mine certainly has over the years. Back when I started playing in the early- to mid-90s, I simply believed the bass should be bassy and thumpy, and honestly sometimes wondered what the point of the tone control on my bass was, never mind most of the EQ on the amp (and of course, I didn't have the internet / Basschat to inform me in those days!).

Since then, I've meandered between bassy and thumpy to raw and twangy, but now seem to have found a happy medium of warm and full, but with enough presence to not get lost, which really seems to suit the band I'm in now (single-coil P bass, TI flats, volume not quite 100%, tone about 60%). Oddly, I do still struggle on a couple of numbers, when the combination of the vocalist's tone + one of his guitars in particular seems to mask the bass somewhat, but that's summat I / we just need to work on.  

Edited by tony_m

15 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

Not with regards to live playing, but when it comes to recording then I've found that a combination of clean DI, amp (real or simulated) and a gnarly Tech21 style driven tone really works for rock stuff - isolated it's horrible but in a mix it's lovely!

I think that's probably true in most cases. An isolated bass track sounds nothing like the final, mixed, product.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iconic said:

As with my tone and playing, I'm built more for comfort than speed nowadays. 

Me too. In my 20s, I used rounds, played with a pick or fingers. I preferred a bright, clean stringy tone and a pick. Nearly 50 years later, I'm playing flats with my fingers and only use a pick occasionally. I think that is due in good part to the fact that modern bass amplification is so much cleaner, with a more extended high frequency range. I'm simply hearing things that my old gear wouldn't reproduce (which is probably why I don't like tweeters for bass these days), meaning I no longer have to compensate. It also has to be due to my changed taste in music. I don't play prog any longer.

I do find it a little surprising that I like it less bright now, given that we lose the ability to hear high frequencies as we age. I can no longer hear bats, although my partner could still hear them when she was nearly 70. But then, she didn't play in loud bands for years.

• Thanks 1

For the first few years I played bass, I gravitated toward a thick, round, bass-heavy tone, basically the closer it sounded to a synth sine wave the better. I actively avoided Fender style basses and turned my nose up at them. As time went on (and I realised I could get pedals to achieve the synthy thing) I started enjoying the “classic” bass sounds more and more, culminating in the purchase of a Yamaha BB1025X PJ bass. And the Precision pickup rabbit hole began. To date I’ve now owned 5 basses with P pickups and 2 with Jazz configs. I like the idea of owning a stingray but somehow I can’t quite develop a love for the tone of them the way I love the tone of Js and Ps. Maybe one day…

On 28/01/2022 at 14:37, Steve Browning said:

I think that's probably true in most cases. An isolated bass track sounds nothing like the final, mixed, product.

Yep. All those guys raving over James Jamerson's sound, also have to thank the Motown engineers.