Why become a member? ×

New from Squier...just a small sample.

jd56hawk

I'm glad they're diversifying from the usual occasional rarer colours. 

The Sunset Metallic Super P I quite like, although the pau ferro looks awful (never had and never will have this on a board).

However this 2TS Jazz looks like pure crap. It looks likes someone's first attempt at sunburst in a garage with a spray can from Halfords: https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/squier/squier-40th-anniversary-jazz-bass-vintage-edition-satin-wide-2-colour-sunburst

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, longtimefred said:

I'm so ordering a black and gold. 

Definitely got a Lotus JPS vibe going on there.  Always classy, especially in classic Lotus 72 form.

EDIT: I wish they had used a more cream/aged coloured binding on the neck - the binding that's there is so bright in comparison to the gold hardware and anodised pickguard that it sticks out like a sore thumb.  Why does no-one consult me before issuing a production bass? ;)

Edited by neepheid

3 hours ago, Machines said:

The Sunset Metallic Super P I quite like, although the pau ferro looks awful (never had and never will have this on a board).

However this 2TS Jazz looks like pure crap. It looks likes someone's first attempt at sunburst in a garage with a spray can from Halfords: https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/squier/squier-40th-anniversary-jazz-bass-vintage-edition-satin-wide-2-colour-sunburst

It's Indian Laurel, same fretboard they're using on some Strats.

Picsart_22-01-27_08-20-31-638.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk

5 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

What is up with the prices? £469!!! For that price I really hope Squier have upped there QC

I did catch myself thinking “…back in my day a Mexican Standard bass only cost £330!” But I checked myself, because the world has moved on since 2004. £469 is toppy compared to the current CV models so you’d hope that reflected an improvement in quality/finish. 

25 minutes ago, theyellowcar said:

I did catch myself thinking “…back in my day a Mexican Standard bass only cost £330!” But I checked myself, because the world has moved on since 2004. £469 is toppy compared to the current CV models so you’d hope that reflected an improvement in quality/finish. 

The only way is up, don't forget  that the £ has inflated since then. £330 in 2004 is equivalent to £540 now, which is about how much a MIM is currently (see https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Machines said:

It`s quite expensive especially when you can get a Sire with an alder body, roasted maple neck, rolled edges etc for £369.

I know what one I would choose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

It`s quite expensive especially when you can get a Sire with an alder body, roasted maple neck, rolled edges etc for £369.

True, but the cost of production is not the only aspect in the Squier pricing. They are hugely popular due to the Fender association, and Fender is a behemoth with a huge marketing budget and endorsees to pay. A good amount of the extra cost goes there.

FWIW I have had both a Sire M5 and a Squier VM 70s Jazz. The Sire was a better instrument in terms of spec, but I definitely preferred the 'authentic look' of the Squier.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Swings and roundabouts though, because with Sire, they could charge £200 for better features than a £450 Squier but it still has an ugly headstock and cheap a*$ tort… 

(by the way, I own a Sire P7!)

38 minutes ago, Machines said:

The only way is up, don't forget  that the £ has inflated since then. £330 in 2004 is equivalent to £540 now, which is about how much a MIM is currently (see https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator)

Yeah exactly my point - it’s all relative given inflation, increased cost of freight etc. 

All that aside, these look like nice basses. I’m now trying to talk myself out of the Satin Blonde P. 

9 hours ago, 40hz said:

That Blueburst J is just asking to be bought. Roasted Maple neck as well!

Funny that, nothing turns me off a bass quicker than roasted maple… except maybe roasted birdseye maple. Rosewood or ebony all day long for me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machines said:

Which makes the £469 Squier price even worse because for just shy of a hundred more you can get an Mim Fender

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Machines said:

I clicked on that link thinking "how bad can it be"?

It's bad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Absolutely no need waiting for a new one because this arrived today.

Midnight Satin, black chrome hardware, high-mass bridge, roasted maple...smooth as silk.

Unlike the new ones, this is ash.

Just waiting for some GHS black tapewounds to take it to the next level.

Picsart_22-01-27_20-53-10-810.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1