Why become a member? ×

Need more speed

SteveXFR

1 minute ago, SteveXFR said:

My daughter plays hysteria spot on. 16 years old, only playing two years and it makes me sick!! 😫

She was annoying me one day repeatedly saying "I don't know what song to learn " so I said go and learn Hysteria. She did, I didn’t expect that!

That’s impressive ☝️

Speed is basic physics, no more. We all have our limits, and it’s largely governed by the efficiency of plucking, fretting and coordination between the hands. It gives you longer term reliability of technique. This is commonly misinterpreted as stamina or strength. It isn’t. 

The heart of the problem will be a particular thing you’re doing that doesn’t scale up in speed. Playing slowly and gradually speeding up is OK but if your hands aren’t doing it as efficiently as possible you’ll hit that wall. As Doddy says, make sure you really know it and can play through slower at speed. As soon as you get close to where you think you’re going to lose it, break it down until you find the problem (or heaven forbid, problems). Then look at what you’re doing - is it crossing multiple strings, pedalling between a high and low note etc? Generally these types of issues relate to a specific pattern with the plucking hand. Back when I used to teach it was normally inconsistent plucking - first time through a line the student would start with index finger and fall down, second time they started with middle finger and it was fine. Speed will then come by gradually increasing tempo, with occasional bursts of a smaller chunk you are comfortable with at a much higher tempo.
Finally, keep playing every day. You will hit brick walls but regular playing and a consistent approach and you will soon be flying - playing fast isn’t all that hard!

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

My daughter plays hysteria spot on. 16 years old, only playing two years and it makes me sick!! 😫

She was annoying me one day repeatedly saying "I don't know what song to learn " so I said go and learn Hysteria. She did, I didn’t expect that!

Ahhh ‘youf of the day’ I can remember when I didn’t know a thing was hard I just did it. 

The little beggars just like to show us up!! 

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

work on the last four notes of a tricky passage first, then the last eight notes, then the last twelve notes, etc. Once you've learnt the whole section, when you're playing through it, you'll always be moving onto a handful of notes you're more familiar with, rather than constantly moving further away from what you're comfortable with.

I had the same advice from a teacher in a guitar workshop… he described it as “always heading towards success”

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I had the same advice from a teacher in a guitar workshop… he described it as “always heading towards success”

I do that. It's how I figured out where the problem was with hitting the pedal note with the plucking finger that just landed on it from plucking the last note.

Generally I don't concern myself with which finger I am using to pluck each note. 

4/4 100bpm semiquaver isn't fast! It's just this line needs a steady 1 2 pluck to stay on track.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Ah.... young minds, untainted by drink and drugs....

Plus youngsters tend to have less considerations about playing and just get on with it while we older folks tend to spend more time worrying how much of a ballache it's going to be before picking up the instrument.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2022 at 19:44, Cato said:

My big breakthrough with playing fast for extended periods came when I realised that if I turned the amp up I could just brush the strings with my fingertips so I'm hitting the top of the string with much less force than my previous techinque where I was plucking the side of the string.

If that makes any sense.

I play with a light touch too, pretty much what you said Cato is mentioned in marks latest video 👍

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 3

On 27/01/2022 at 22:22, Grimalkin said:

Come on, or the machines will take over, and the audience will undoubtedly love them, and that will be us done...

That is brilliant; all that technology to replicate what we do almost without having to think about it.

Ramps are the way to go IMO, a consistent recovery distance all of the time, it stops you from over-travelling and digging in too much. Many players gravitate to playing over the pickups, for that effect. Having a consistent recovery distance, seems like common sense to me. You don't have to buy a ramp, set your back pickup to the same height as your action and tweak from there.

On 27/01/2022 at 21:58, Grimalkin said:

If you're ever really bored, put your hand palm flat on a table top and try lifting pairs of fingers in different combinations while keeping the rest flat. Thumb and index are easy, try index and ring, mid and pinky and so on. If you're bored.

There are some really useful exercises in this book, which I've found invaluable:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1911267833/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two ways of playing that part

All on E, which is pretty straightforward two finger right hand technique. 

E and A, which is trickier but sounds cleaner, esp as you can leave open E ringing.  I use ring finger in addition to index and middle for lines like this.

It's a case of technique and speed.  Repeat playing it along to a metronome at half speed until you are 100% happy with your technique and sound of the notes.  Then, start increasing the tempo. 

• Like 1

Rather than playing on just the A&E Strings (D&G) as per the Songsterr tab I found it was easier to play the C in that riff on the open C string?  Sounds a bit counter intuitive but then my left hand wasn't stretching so far (basically just fretting on the 7th and 8th frets only) which meant it was really relaxed and I could just concentrate on getting speed with my right hand.

Might be just me of course 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hysteria for instance isn't actually that hard to play at the correct speed. All you have to do is play it slowly until you are totally used to it and then speed up. What is difficult is to keep it up. It's the stamina that Chris Wolstenholme excels at.

• Like 1