Why become a member? ×

Standing up or sitting down

Boodang

This thread is probably not aimed at the rockers among us. I usually play in a piano/bass/drums trio doing jazz groove stuff (think 70s tv theme tunes). Half the set I play an EUB, the other half with a bass guitar for the funkier numbers. When I'm playing the bass guitar I'm the only mobile member of the band but it's not like I feel it's necessary, or appropriate, to leap about the stage, so I just stand there and feel a bit of a tit. Then I thought, just because it's a bass guitar doesn't mean I have to stand, so now I bring along a bar stool, use that and then like the rest of the band I'm sitting on my derrière whilst playing.

I also applied this to a covers band I was in which was mostly a collection of friends who just wanted to play. The stage was crowded, 3 guitarists, backing vocals, percussion, keys, and occasional brass/woodwind, there wasn't much room to leap about, so I started plonking myself at the back next to the drummer on a bar stool and only came out the shadows if most of the band took a break while we did an uptempo rock number.

So the question is, do we play standing up just because that's what's expected / how it's always been done? How many out there play sitting down? I remember Herbie Flower's used to do the Sky gigs on a bar stool.

I'm thinking of taking this to new levels with the trio. I'm going to get a small rug and do the Hellborg thing and play sitting cross legged on the floor. Another option as there's space in the van, is to bring a nice comfy padded lounge chair and do the gig sprawled out in that. I could put a standard lamp next to me to give it that homely feel!

• Like 1

One of my bands recently gig a couple of "acoustic" gigs with more laid-back arrangements of the songs. We were all going to sit down to play these until both the singer and myself discovered that we simply couldn't play properly when seated, and I certainly didn't have enough time to not only learn slightly different bass lines for all the songs but also how to play them in a sitting position.

Because I never play in front of an audience sitting down, I never practice that way either. Even at home when I'm writing. I think the last time I played in public sitting down was some time in the late 70s when my band provided some improvised musical backing for school drama performance with me on my home-made electric balalaika.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

A colourful rug on stage seems popular at present, but one needs to keep standards up, so remain standing or get a quality bar stool (a la Dean Martin). There is always a risk that you might fall off!

I do gigs stone cold sober these days, so should be relatively stable on a bar stool. And if the audience aren't paying attention I could always fall off on purpose!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Before my back op (and certainly for the next few gigs) I used one of these which is just high enough for me to perch on when needed. I can also do the key-change stand up thing that Boy Bands do too as and when required. It folds own nicely too for transporting. 

68FB4D38-74E5-43BA-AFE4-48F4191047B0.jpeg

Good idea, but you can’t sit down when the guitar is on the stand.

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

One of my bands recently gig a couple of "acoustic" gigs with more laid-back arrangements of the songs. We were all going to sit down to play these until both the singer and myself discovered that we simply couldn't play properly when seated, and I certainly didn't have enough time to not only learn slightly different bass lines for all the songs but also how to play them in a sitting position.

Because I never play in front of an audience sitting down, I never practice that way either. Even at home when I'm writing. I think the last time I played in public sitting down was some time in the late 70s when my band provided some improvised musical backing for school drama performance with me on my home-made electric balalaika.

I've always practiced sitting down and play with the bass on my left leg, classical guitar style. Consequently I feel more comfortable playing sitting down than standing up, hence now I'm thinking s*d it, I should just play that way live.

29 minutes ago, Boodang said:

This thread is probably not aimed at the rockers among us. I usually play in a piano/bass/drums trio doing jazz groove stuff (think 70s tv theme tunes). Half the set I play an EUB, the other half with a bass guitar for the funkier numbers. When I'm playing the bass guitar I'm the only mobile member of the band but it's not like I feel it's necessary, or appropriate, to leap about the stage, so I just stand there and feel a bit of a tit. Then I thought, just because it's a bass guitar doesn't mean I have to stand, so now I bring along a bar stool, use that and then like the rest of the band I'm sitting on my derrière whilst playing.

I also applied this to a covers band I was in which was mostly a collection of friends who just wanted to play. The stage was crowded, 3 guitarists, backing vocals, percussion, keys, and occasional brass/woodwind, there wasn't much room to leap about, so I started plonking myself at the back next to the drummer on a bar stool and only came out the shadows if most of the band took a break while we did an uptempo rock number.

So the question is, do we play standing up just because that's what's expected / how it's always been done? How many out there play sitting down? I remember Herbie Flower's used to do the Sky gigs on a bar stool.

I'm thinking of taking this to new levels with the trio. I'm going to get a small rug and do the Hellborg thing and play sitting cross legged on the floor. Another option as there's space in the van, is to bring a nice comfy padded lounge chair and do the gig sprawled out in that. I could put a standard lamp next to me to give it that homely feel!

Martin Mull had an album "with his fabulous furniture". And of course Robert Fripp sat down and stood up again (playing the guitar...)

The other possibility is to make a feature of the stool on stage. I was thinking a custom steampunk seat with lots of unnecessary pipes and dials. Then if the audience aren't into the music at least they can admire the steampunk sculpture. 

47 minutes ago, Boodang said:

I'm thinking of taking this to new levels with the trio. I'm going to get a small rug and do the Hellborg thing and play sitting cross legged on the floor

If I tried that it'd take me half an hour to get on my feet again. :lol: 

I practice and rehearse on my árse, but play gigs on my feet. I've played a couple of gigs seated in the past, but that was when I had a serious cartilage problem in my knee which made standing for long periods v.painful.

47 minutes ago, Boodang said:

The other possibility is to make a feature of the stool on stage. I was thinking a custom steampunk seat with lots of unnecessary pipes and dials. Then if the audience aren't into the music at least they can admire the steampunk sculpture. 

You’d have to be careful not to slip on it,

• Haha 2

For years I'd practiced sitting on my home office chair.  It was only after post Prostate operation problems that I took to sitting down for most gigs. Firstly I got a drum throne and fitted a butt-kicker to it driven from a mix of bass and drums.  Then a much taller bar stool with the same device attached. This worked fine as I was always at the back next to the drums.  Last year I concluded that I would never gig again to I sold the bits.  Recently I've found another band and mentioned that I'd like to sit and play to which the others said, "what a good idea, so will we". In recent weeks I have been trying to recreate my monitoring system and bought an Eich active drum stool. Absolute magic.  Everyone, keyboards, sax, bass, vocals and drum tracks, goes through the PA. We have no monitors on stage, so I have the drums in the stool and my bass through a Backbeat.  Works well for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boodang said:

Often deliberated on this. Playing BG standing up in a trio can feel exposed - and I play marginally better sat down, or at least I’m more easily relaxed so it flows better. 

My rule of thumb with jazz gigs is what’s the guitar doing, and what’s the audience doing - if both are seated then I am - horns will always be standing, and they want all the attention anyway. 

In rock I can think of the bass player from Beak (the Portishead spin-off, but they don't like being called that😕)

He does about half the lead vocals too. He switches between two basses live, one in hand and one in stand. No strap  - which makes the changeovers easier I guess.

image.png.05589e8f579c55e3f0a0e0f513c4e308.png

I think Jah Wobble used to it at one time?

I enjoy sitting down on gigs. Obviously, for most of my rock and pop stuff I'll stand because I move around a lot, but on anything more chilled I'll sit if I can.

I pretty much always sit when I practice too. If I'm going to practice seriously for a couple of hours, I want to be comfortable.

I used to have one of those folding stools that's pictured in an earlier post, but I never really liked it. I've been using a Roc n Soc drum stool for a few years now, and it's great. It's low enough that I can put both feet on the floor to put my bass on either leg, and I can easily reach my pedals.

4 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Only sit for our acoustic gigs. I usually perch nonchalantly on the amp!

22104385_1453479498038653_5525139560211564464_o.thumb.jpg.f66b945bbce6f394b47c62ff002e26fa.jpg

Our trio is bass, keyboard, and violin. Keyboard is always sitting, and our violinist frequently plays propped on a barstool. If they're both down, I prefer to stand--or as above, to at least be a big higher. Everyone seated, to me, gives the wrong signal: we're too relaxed, low energy. The music may not actually reflect that.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2022 at 21:42, obbm said:

For years I'd practiced sitting on my home office chair.  It was only after post Prostate operation problems that I took to sitting down for most gigs. Firstly I got a drum throne and fitted a butt-kicker to it driven from a mix of bass and drums.  Then a much taller bar stool with the same device attached. This worked fine as I was always at the back next to the drums.  Last year I concluded that I would never gig again to I sold the bits.  Recently I've found another band and mentioned that I'd like to sit and play to which the others said, "what a good idea, so will we". In recent weeks I have been trying to recreate my monitoring system and bought an Eich active drum stool. Absolute magic.  Everyone, keyboards, sax, bass, vocals and drum tracks, goes through the PA. We have no monitors on stage, so I have the drums in the stool and my bass through a Backbeat.  Works well for me.

David, would you mind measuring the maximum height that the drum stool goes to please?

I always play sitting down for my acoustic duo gigs, just seems right somehow. I also play seated on hotel dinner dance stuff like I did over Christmas / NYE. Older crowd, long sets and music for formal dancing so apart from being less tiring it also looks quieter!

For all the other gigs I stand, do find it hard to play uptempo / loud stuff when seated. When I broke my shoulder and played keyboard bass for a few months I still played standing up, just seemed right somehow.