Why become a member? ×

Anyone Else Got a Hotone Nano Legacy Thunder Bass?

Stub Mandrel

I bought one of these as a fanless alternative to the Elf to stick on my PJB C2 as a quiet 'practice amp'.

Supposedly modelled on an SVT it sounds surprisingly good with a certain amount of breakup at all volumes even with low gain levels, and some pretty heavy-duty distortion at high gain.

It's worth remembering, 5W is only a quarter of the perceived loudness of 500W and even with the C2 cab it's fine for jamming along with guitarist. I must try it with the GR Bass cab to see how loud it is.

I must admit I love experimenting with small, cheap but decent quality amps - these days they are surprisingly good.

• Like 2

I didn't keep mine because as much as it was impressively loud and genuinely sounded good, I impulse-bought it without considering whether I actually had a use for it. I practice and record using headphones/mixer/preamp and I have a Markbass 801 combo which would be smaller and easier to carry than the Thunder and my smallest cab to any venue where that combination would be viable. If having a fanless practice amp had been at all important to me, though, I'd most likely have kept it as it really did sound alright.

Edited by Ed_S
Markbass backwards model numbering correction.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Likewise. I bought it because a lot of people on here were singing the praises of this wee amp, and at the time, I was using a Line6 HD500x for practicing, rehearsals and gigs. It was a bit of a pain to get the HD out, set up to practice, and put away. Getting the amp was an attempt to cut down the process in setting up, but I didn't have a suitable cab, so was using headphones. It was easier to carry on using the HD. I should have just bought a small combo. 

• Thanks 1

Mine is sitting on the corner of my desk, running through a Crazy 8 cab.

It's WAY over the top for home practice (what with me having converted the garage into a studio an' all) but it's a delight to have it right there when I need it.

And now for today's edition of SPOT THAT AMP!!!

20220127_084554.thumb.jpg.e5e2c3770d44bbb626d014ce27d14cc4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

It's WAY over the top for home practice (what with me having converted the garage into a studio an' all) but it's a delight to have it right there when I need it.

I claim the £50 prize, it's under the light ring, next to the 2 way socket and just behind the Staedler pens. Was I first?

• Haha 1

On 27/01/2022 at 00:11, Sparky Mark said:

If they're "brilliant" and "great" (and cheap) why didn't you keep them please?

I simply didn't need it as I have more than adequate 'practice' solutions in pretty much every room that I'd need them.  I'd still maintain it's a brilliant little amp (if anybody has the need for one). 

• Like 1

On 27/01/2022 at 08:48, Happy Jack said:

Is that a Westone wearing a Bisonic?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When switched on, but not a big noise.

For some reason it is really well-matched with my Fender performer. With the gain around 3 o'clock I can get clean sounds right along the neck by being gentle or dig in for crunchy distortion.

I always think the mark of good distortion is that it doesn't rapidly fade away after the lowest octave or so.