Why become a member? ×

Help me NOT buy a Helix :)

la bam

Hi all,

After (for the hundredth time) re organised my gear, I'm set on a smallish board which I can plug into any amp head, whether mine, hired or provided backline or in ears.

It's a sansamp bass driver v2 and a boss 50 wireless.

Now, what I need to complete are the following - all must be a similar size or smaller than a sansamp:

1. A tuner. (I'm fed up of losing clip ons).

2. A simple compressor (one knob if possible) just to balance the strings / keep everything the same volume.

When pricing things up it soon comes to around £150+ upto £200. So it brings it close to something like a helix, which does the above and more.

However, the helix's power supply drives me mad. Too large, cant swap with a regular 9v spare, and it doesnt (really) work with power packs.

So.... is there anything out there that has true bypass, quality, and a compressor and tuner? And will run on either daisy chain or a power pack for under the board?

TC Electronic Spectracomp.... one knob but has the benefit of toneprints, so behind the simplicity is a 3 band comp with lots of expertly tweaked presets to choose from. Oh, and it's cheap and has a small footprint. 

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Boodang said:

TC Electronic Spectracomp.... one knob but has the benefit of toneprints, so behind the simplicity is a 3 band comp with lots of expertly tweaked presets to choose from. Oh, and it's cheap.

Yup. Second hand one knob Spectracomp (there's a couple in the FS) plus a tuner shouldn't come to anything like the price of a Helix Stomp.

Job done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been there, done it, changed my mind and went back to a board. Helix is great and I’ve had every model and for all it’s brilliance it just doesn’t quite get there for me. Buy a tuner and compressor mate and save the heartache 😂 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

The Fishman Platinum Pro EQ has a tuner and one knob comp in one standard 9v unit. It also has EQ with HPF, and a notch which is handy for feedback issues, and a variable boost, which may or may not be useful to you.

I keep recommending these to people- it's about time I bought myself one, I think! 😄

Plus one for the Fishman Platinum Pro. A truly versatile unit. Perfect for my upright needs, and almost perfect for electric. It loses one point for me as I want my overdrive after the compression. Yes, there is an effects loop that comes after the compression, but the output level is pretty high making light overdrive near impossible.

Still, for a clean electric bass sound, the 4 band eq plus the HPF is great. And the tuner can be calibrated. 

And for one final really useful feature - there’s an input boost on the side which is really helpful for basses with low output.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, la bam said:

However, the helix's power supply drives me mad. Too large, cant swap with a regular 9v spare, and it doesnt (really) work with power packs.

Are we talking about the Stomp? I have mine mounted on a Metro 24 with a SY1, BB Bass preamp and Shure GLXD wireless receiver (doubles as tuner), all powered by a 1 Spot CS6. works perfectly...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gareth Hughes said:

Plus one for the Fishman Platinum Pro. A truly versatile unit. Perfect for my upright needs, and almost perfect for electric. It loses one point for me as I want my overdrive after the compression. Yes, there is an effects loop that comes after the compression, but the output level is pretty high making light overdrive near impossible.

Still, for a clean electric bass sound, the 4 band eq plus the HPF is great. And the tuner can be calibrated. 

And for one final really useful feature - there’s an input boost on the side which is really helpful for basses with low output.

I am tempted to get a Fishman as a single 'all in one' (well, all the most important things) easily transported option for band practice - especially as it can be battery powered. 

I know things like Zoom multi fx also do that but having tried a few they never quite do it for me for sounds and accessibility (and don't have things like XLR out and fx loop). 

For various reasons Helix don't ever do it for me beyond the honeymoon period either (having owned the Stomp, Stomp XL, Effects) mostly due to workflow/accessability. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I know things like Zoom multi fx also do that but having tried a few they never quite do it for me for sounds and accessibility (and don't have things like XLR out and fx loop). 

The new Zoom B6 has both XLR out and fx loop.

Probably won't address your "sounds" point though, if the existing range was not to your liking, despite having a higher 88.2kHz sample rate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, la bam said:

So.... is there anything out there that has true bypass, quality, and a compressor and tuner? And will run on either daisy chain or a power pack for under the board?

I think these are great - Valeton Dapper:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/valeton_dapper_bass_effect_strip.htm

alternatively a Zoom B3n.

Edited by bagsieblue
  • Like 1

Reasons I've owned multi-fx including Helix Stomp, Stomp XL, Effects, and various Zoom pedals: 

• They seem cost-effective, sensible, convenient.

Reasons I no longer own any multi-fx:

• Most of the best things in life don't tend to be cost-effective, sensible or convenient! 
Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Every time I look at a Helix, I end up wondering if it'll be enough, and I should get the next model up instead.

Then when I get to the top model, I wonder if I should consider a Neural DSP Quad Cortext instead.

Then I look at the price and go back to considering the Helix Stomp again. Then repeat.

• Haha 3

Harley Benton Airborne Pro W1(includes tuner) Wireless

>>>Thumpinator>>>>TC Spectracomp>>>

>>>>Tech21 SansAmp VT Bass Deluxe>>>>

>>>DI out & into any amp you like or FRFR active cab. 

Gives you 6 pre-sets and the Character control gives you every analogue amp from Fender Bassman to SVT to B15.

Job done methinks

20220121_142412.thumb.jpg.f860930e4b579df65e9f5679def1ec37.jpg

• Like 1

… used to have a Stomp but traded it for an backup amp. One of the reasons was I thought in a few years who is going to want to buy ‘old tech’ when newer multi fx would be out then. So I’ve stuck with analogue stuff (mostly) and ended up with 6 boards, woops 😳😁😎.  I may consolidate them onto a much larger one for home use and a smaller ‘I actually need that pedal’ gigging board. We’ll see 👍🏼.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gareth Hughes said:

This thread under yours just now might be worth reading:

4 hours ago, la bam said:

Actually the HX FX and HX Stomp both work perfectly with both Voodoo Labs and Strymon power supplies.  Voodoo Labs even make the exact connector you need now - it’s got a blue tip.

In terms of modellers, the Helix is definitely the best one for bass - GT1000 is a bit poo, Axe doesn't have the variety of amps, and the Kemper sucks donkey Richard.

If you're looking for a flexible solution, the Helix is pretty hard to beat. Saying that, you could build a decent bass rig from some single stompos, and probably be happier with it. Depends whether you want to be really specific and anal about what tones you want.

TC Spectracomp. Any small format pedal tuner. £100 max. Small enough to put on a small kitchen chopping board and slip into the front of your gig bag. You can always flog them for what you paid if you want to get more creative - so it is cost neutral to experiment. Compressors have always confused me. I know what they do, but setting them is beyond me The toneprint software lets me cycle through loads of presets using my phone passing some squeaky noise through the pickups. I like it so much I own three - one as an always on in Church, one on my pedalboard and one set up in front of my home recording set up. For me, Multi FX just give me so many options I get paralysed and never use them.

• Like 1