Why become a member? ×

Sandberg - Stingray-ish.... Video now here

fretmeister

21 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Cool bass, but other than looks it doesn't seem to add a whole lot that they didn't already offer in their Basic model?

True, but I'm not a fan of that body shape.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I believe it's mainly about the pickup placement. It's now in the right ray position. On the Basic it's a bit further forward.

I'm not so sure, couldn't that be an optical illusion caused by the Basic having 24 frets rather than 22 on the Cali? 

I'm sure the neck will be different and more Fender-like on the California Central, but otherwise it looks like more of the same. 

Edited by LeftyJ

On 25/01/2022 at 16:28, fretmeister said:

Different body shape, 22 frets, different neck profile (I believe) and the pickup is now in proper ray position. On the Basic it was much further forward, more P sounding.

I'd still rip the Delano out of it and put in something I like more! 

It’s the Sandberg pick up in that video, not delano - no doubt there will be options possibly including Haussel

• Like 1

On 25/01/2022 at 12:38, fretmeister said:

I really want one!

Looks more like a Fender Dimension IMHO. 

It sounds good. However the sound is only one aspect of the Stingray - there are a series of other factors, not least the exquisitely playable necks on the Stingray Specials. 

8 hours ago, drTStingray said:

It sounds good. However the sound is only one aspect of the Stingray - there are a series of other factors, not least the exquisitely playable necks on the Stingray Specials. 

I'd love a stingray. But until they make the SLO neck available easily to us over here they won't convince me to buy one.

13 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I've only owned one US Stingray, well a Sterling to be precise, and a few Sandbergs. I think the Sandberg necks are right up there in terms of playability with anything out there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Ricky did these photos to show the pickup position.

Only a rough guide but it does seem that the Central pickup is far closer to Ray position than the basic.

Basic ray.jpg

Berg ray.jpg

The distance to the bridge is the measurement that matters? Or have I got that wrong? Judging from the photo, it looks the same as the older Basic model.

22 minutes ago, 40hz said:

The distance to the bridge is the measurement that matters? Or have I got that wrong? Judging from the photo, it looks the same as the older Basic model.

Position is usually measured from the Nut or the 12th Fret mainly because the actual saddle position can be massively different with different string gauge, whereas on a 34 inch scale bass the 12th fret will always be the same distance from the nut.

The bridge base plate can't be used as different makes have different sized base plates.