Why become a member? ×

Sandberg - Stingray-ish.... Video now here

fretmeister

• fretmeister changed the title to Sandberg - Stingray-ish.... Video now here
1 hour ago, 40hz said:

Isn't this just a slight remodel of the Basic? I had one and LOVED it!

Different body shape, 22 frets, different neck profile (I believe) and the pickup is now in proper ray position. On the Basic it was much further forward, more P sounding.

I'd still rip the Delano out of it and put in something I like more! 

11 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

When she finds out - give me first refusal please!

(On the bass, I've already got 1 wife and mother in law)

Ah OK, I thought you were after the saintly Mrs ead for a moment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Different body shape, 22 frets, different neck profile (I believe) and the pickup is now in proper ray position. On the Basic it was much further forward, more P sounding.

I'd still rip the Delano out of it and put in something I like more! 

That pickup looks to be in the same position? And tonally, that video is exactly what my Basic sounded like. I do like it though! It is definitely nicer looking.

GAK sent me an e-mail today announcing that they have some American Stingrays back in stock.  Lovely looking basses, starting at £2750, up to £3k if you want a matching headstock and a white pick up!  So I'll be interested to see how much these are.

I bought a G&L Tribute Kiloton last week and I love it.  The pick up placement looks about the same as these Sandbergs.

1 minute ago, BillyBass said:

GAK sent me an e-mail today announcing that they have some American Stingrays back in stock.  Lovely looking basses, starting at £2750, up to £3k if you want a matching headstock and a white pick up!  So I'll be interested to see how much these are.

I bought a G&L Tribute Kiloton last week and I love it.  The pick up placement looks about the same as these Sandbergs.

I was quoted £1,364 from Classic & Cool Guitars.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ead said:

I was quoted £1,364 from Classic & Cool Guitars.

So, half the price of cheapest new Stingray!  And it's made in Germany I presume, not in Cortek's factory in Indonesia.  Considering how everything is going up in price, that's not bad really.

46 minutes ago, 40hz said:

That pickup looks to be in the same position? And tonally, that video is exactly what my Basic sounded like. I do like it though! It is definitely nicer looking.

It's quite a bit further back towards the bridge - the 24 fret on the basic makes it look different.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Damn that's good value.

When is it coming?

I'm being quoted 10-12 months.  My last Sandberg came in 9 months so looks like things are getting busier over there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Want a Kiloton, they look awesome 

7 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Only two finishes though. 😞 If this had all the options I’d be sorely tempted. 

They still have a couple of the older brown ones in stock but it's mainly the new CAR finish.  G&L do a black Tribute too with a rosewood fingerboard and inlays but no one seems to have them over here yet.

I suppose if there were more finish options the price would rise.

2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

They still have a couple of the older brown ones in stock but it's mainly the new CAR finish.  G&L do a black Tribute too with a rosewood fingerboard and inlays but no one seems to have them over here yet.

I suppose if there were more finish options the price would rise.

Sorry, we may be talking cross purposes; I was referring to the Sandberg California Central, which only comes in two finishes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

If the Central sells well I expect more colours to be made available.

It's up to us! We must do our duty! :D 

I'm really picky about bass weight so I'm going to raise the money and then hope that a suitably light one arrives with Bass Direct / Thomann / wherever.

A bit chicken and egg though - it would sell better if more colours and fingerboard options were available.