Why become a member? Ɨ

Barefaced 10 or Markbass NY 112

Dean Pearson

I've not tried the MarkBass but I'm utterly astonished with the sound and weight that comes from the Barefaced One10.

I expect the NY 112 will be a little more solidly built, but the One10 is lighter and smaller, so it's easier to be more careful with it.

• Like 2

I found Markbass cabs to have a high-end roll-off, not that much of an issue though if the cab is the sole provider of the bass. The amount of sound that comes from those BF 110s is amazing, I`m sure it would more than handle the job as required.

I have the BF and used to have the MB Club 121.

Ā 

I thought the Club 121 was a very good cab - wedge shaped, great tone etc. The BF is not a million miles away tonally, apart from the MB does have a tweeter and will go up to 20Khz (I always turn tweeters off)

Ā 

The BF is tiny - really tiny but doesn't sound like it. I've not tried the MB New York cab to see if that escapes small cab boxiness syndrome.

Ā 

The weights are both low, but the BF is still only about half the weight of the MB.

Ā 

Ā 

It's a difficult choice really. Both make great cabs.

Ā 

I decided to go for the lightest option as that at the top of my importance list.

• Like 3

I have an NY121 to pair with my CMD121P. It hasn't been used much simply because with the combo it pushes so much air that it will cover most things up to a full on rock band.Ā 

Ā 

When I have used the extension cab it's like there's a bottomless well of limitless oomph. I mean, clearly it isn't bottomless or limitless, but it's certainly able to cope with loud rock gigs without overtaxing the amp.Ā 

Ā 

I tend to find MB cabs to be 'clean' ish - I've not played the BF110 but gather they are 'voiced' when compared to the Compact etc, so bear that in mind.Ā 

Ā 

I suspect the BF110 would be lighter than the NY121 if weight is an issue.Ā 

• Like 1

I would expect the BF 10s to be a bit closer to the MB, as they are designed to be a little more old skool sounding. My favourite BF is the Super Compact. It does old skool (sounds fab' with a P bass), but is more versatile and doesn't have a tweeter - a plus point for me. Were I in the market for cabs, I'd definitely have a couple.

• Like 1

Ive just moved back to markbass from barefaced. I use the traveller 210s, previously used barefaced 210s, compact and super 12. Just my experience and opinion, but the markbass is much more full and warm, and seems much louder / efficient.

Ā 

I run a sansamp with a mkiii or big bang and it makes both the amp and cab come alive.

• Like 3