• Fingers211
    • upside downer
    • SH73
    • Lurksalot
    • alittlebitrobot
    • skankdelvar
    • Doctor J

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/22 at 00:01

Here we go then , another year down , a new start to the monthly challenges,  so lets just do it 

The picture to inspire us was chosen by Novembers winner @skankdelvar who offered the following titbit with the image ..

"it's a picture of the universe and everything in it that has existed or happened, is in the process of existing or happening, and might exist or happen in the future.

So there's scope to write a tune about absolutely anything that takes one's fancy."

image.png.2e8a1ba634dbb23be622183f50ed7b65.png

Now this has produced an brilliantly eclectic range which will start with ...

1 @Leonard Smalls  

This month I've been mostly listening to Albert Collins. So I thought I'd do some blues, with keyboards duelling with guitars, more guitars and more keys. I felt this was far kinder than unleashing my much-feared "blues voice"!

@Dad3353

An audio exercise, capturing (more than...) fifty shades of real Grey Noise, representing the neutrality of The Universe, and literally pitching this beside a Human Condition notion (somewhat dark, maybe...) and a more potentially joyful version, both stemming from a deep cultural heritage going back eons. I'll freely admit, with no apologies, that it's not the most EDM of my stuff, and will not garner many votes, but that's where the picture led me, so...
The fundamental key is the genuine grey noise, playing a theme from an operatic piece by Massenet thanks to Sforzanda, flanked on each side by a set of Kontakt voices, to render a human aspect, and another set of Kontakt balafons, to bring a touch of light-hearted optimism

3 @NickD

A song about wondering, I guess. 

4 @fingers211

Tried to create it to scale, but didn't have the time. So this was it !
The 6 parts are ,beginning,creation of earth,stompy human race, end of race and new start in Dminor, new creations and lastly, endless time.
The titles are more 'grandiose' than the actual pieces,but t'was still good fun to do.

5 @upside downer

Here's mine. Skank said there's scope to write a tune about absolutely anything in relation to the picture. I was planning to use only samples but that idea died like a louse in a Russian's beard so instead I've written a tune about everything and nothing. It's a tune that exists digitally in this universe. There, nailed the premise.

6 @SH73

In this month challenge I decided to experiment with Ableton live. I tried to produce some electronic song for change, so enjoy

7 lurksalot 

with such a open goal left for us with this picture , I have taken it upon myself to have a dig at songs that refer to themselves in the song, I think its despicable and lazy song writing , so I did it as well   

There are 2 swearages in at the end , not as bad as last months , but they are there .

8 @alittlebitrobot

This is not so much a composition as a bunch of ingredients for what should have been some kind of arrangement.

Still, at the eleventh hour, here 'tis.

9 @skankdelvar

A slice of cheesy 80's synth-pop. Guaranteed no real instruments.

10 @Doctor J

We've never been able to see further away but, these days, rarely gaze past our hand

Well that lot is a great listen!

I have to say I find it incredible what you all produce given barely three weeks , fantastic.

Enough Already ..3 Votes lots of listening and 3 votes 

deadline is midnight on 31st January 

Good luck Y'all 

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3