Why become a member? ×

Basses you wish you hadn't sold

andyaber

OK it tuns out my photography skills aren't up to much :D

But as you can see she still doesn't have a mark on her. Over the years I've had a few people try it, one pro and another semi pro told me it was the best P bass they'd ever used - and these are folk who have tried 'real' vintage P basses - frankly the things wasted on me!

One of my mates who gigs on and off borrowed it briefly for some blues gigs and again the rest of the band loved the sound.

To be honest she's gotten very little use since I bought her - at time I think about selling her but at others I think with rampant inflation happening I'm better having a really nice example of a top end instrument rather than money sitting in the bank.

Great to hear from you by the way! Have you done any more bass builds/customizations since you did this John Deacon signature model?

image.thumb.png.c0de01e93a2d642d299bf343ac783595.png

image.thumb.png.efcd64921d9092fe02c960d6d4f985f5.png

image.thumb.png.884d628d56540a785c765e6c367f1524.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frusty said:

But as you can see she still doesn't have a mark on her. Over the years I've had a few people try it, one pro and another semi pro told me it was the best P bass they'd ever used - and these are folk who have tried 'real' vintage P basses - frankly the things wasted on me!

One of my mates who gigs on and off borrowed it briefly for some blues gigs and again the rest of the band loved the sound.

To be honest she's gotten very little use since I bought her - at time I think about selling her but at others I think with rampant inflation happening I'm better having a really nice example of a top end instrument rather than money sitting in the bank.

Great to hear from you by the way! Have you done any more bass builds/customizations since you did this John Deacon signature model?

This looks great but you are still owning it, right? This thread is about basses you sold but you wish you hadn't. I guess you have to sell it immediately now 😜

Just now, Eldon Tyrell said:

This looks great but you are still owning it, right? This thread is about basses you sold but you wish you hadn't. I guess you have to sell it immediately now 😜

Yes I do own it, I was responding to @Dood's question about this bass but yes I am perhaps contractually obliged to sell it now ;)

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Frusty said:

@frusty It looks stunning as I remember! Do remember me should you decide to part with it! 

Thank you, I guess that's testament to my set up and build skills eh! Although, I agree, the bass was pretty amazing completely stock and it does pain me to think that I had to sell.

Yes, I've done a couple of JD style P basses. I'm actually getting ready to do another black and gold soon. I have the hardware here, just waiting for the donor vintage P to arrive. It's not a Fender, but also not surprising, it's one of Japan's finest period copies. 

Thank you for the pictures, fantastic. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I kind of regret moving on the one in my avatar pic. I was so intent on shifting everything to do with my last band as in general I no longer needed it all, but it had a good amount of authentic road wear on it which I really liked. Maybe I shouldn’t have been so eager.

What P bass is it. @Lozz196

Dave

15 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I wish I hadn't I sold my 79 4001 Jetglo...sorry, I'll expand on that; I wish I hadn't sold my 79 4001 Jetglo for £200.

WHY oh WHY ???

£200........you should be ashamed of yourself. If for any reason you decide to do it again please let me know beforehand :laugh1:

Dave

41 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Just a regular US Standard, Dave, 2015 I think it was. 

I remember you telling me that era were pretty good P basses.

But why that particular P bass. Was there something about it. You were doing a fair bit of gigging and just curious what made that bass stand out from your others.

Dave

It’s probably down to the wear on it, when I bought it it had a fair bit and I added to it (unintentionally) but it was authentic wear and looked great. I had another virtually identical one without any wear that played/sounded just the same and that one doesn’t hold much fondness at all. In fact rather ironically after I sold it the buyer then moved it on to the guy who is my replacement in my old band. Now if it had been the worn one I might have tried to get it back.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

It’s probably down to the wear on it, when I bought it it had a fair bit and I added to it (unintentionally) but it was authentic wear and looked great. I had another virtually identical one without any wear that played/sounded just the same and that one doesn’t hold much fondness at all. In fact rather ironically after I sold it the buyer then moved it on to the guy who is my replacement in my old band. Now if it had been the worn one I might have tried to get it back.

Its kinda funny but i bought a 2nd hand 50's reissue P bass end last year and altho its due to get a decent set up soon there's aomething about it i just like. Butterscotch with maple neck and gold anodised plate. Its not the best bass i've ever had and the neck is wider than i'm used to but i like playing it live. 

Its simple ........... V & T what can go wrong with that. Once it gets the action sorted and frets levelled i'll use it more. At the moment its the back up bass to my MarloweDK in the punk band.

Dave

• Like 1

I wish I hadn't part-exed my old Aria SB Special II for a red Encore Strat (WTF was I thinking?).

I wish I hadn't sold my old "script logo" Westone Thunder 1A & kept the Washburn MB4.

I wish I hadn't sold my old 4003 from 2005. Though it was for a reasonable profit that helped me out of a financial hole at the time.

I wish I hadn't sold my old "Open Book" headstock MIJ Tokai Love Rock. Minimal profit which helped me out of a financial hole at the time.

I wish I hadn't sold my old 1979 Ibanez Artist 2619. Marginal profit, financial hole.

I wish I hadn't sold my old 1978 Ibanez Iceman IC200. Marginal profit, financial hole.

Hey ho, you live & learn.

• Like 1

This is the one for me. Early 2000s Musicman Sterling. I imported it from the USA in 2007. Sold it when I needed funds for a house move in 2018. Really would love to have it back; if anyone knows where it currently is, I’d love to hear. 

38EE1211-E986-4DAA-B71B-FA5D8A1C07D8.thumb.jpeg.b4351c29e951b42995ed7f9a60291993.jpeg1C3521B4-BCF0-41D0-9D10-F1C406B4B923.thumb.jpeg.c680b050a685d76cb2f8f3592d9db757.jpeg

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

WHY oh WHY ???

£200........you should be ashamed of yourself. If for any reason you decide to do it again please let me know beforehand :laugh1:

Dave

I knowwww...it was about 1984, tho when I was a callow and frivolous youth. To compound the 'Doh! In Hindsight' factor, I sold it to buy one of these... 😕

image.png.a3f5f407504de345a9e4e24a5b4c92b6.png

Did I mention it was 1984? 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I knowwww...it was about 1984, tho when I was a callow and frivolous youth. To compound the 'Doh! In Hindsight' factor, I sold it to buy one of these... 😕

I have nothing more to say to you. BC suspension as far as i'm concerned. :laugh1:

OK you were young so maybe that's your excuse. 😂

I think i traded my WAL for a white Ric that i only kept for 3-4mths and traded that for the Fender Jazz i posted earlier in the thread. 

Dave

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Looks like a bass that should have been used in Wrathchild, Muzz

• Haha 2

On 26/01/2022 at 09:38, Lozz196 said:

Looks like a bass that should have been used in Wrathchild, Muzz

Despite having a very soft spot for Explorers back in the day (and, if I'm honest, still a bit now, tho I've absolutely no use for one) I was completely caught in two minds about it when I saw the same model being played (albeit upside down and left-handed) by Rick Mayall in the video for Bad News' Warriors Of Ghengiz Khan...and he played it live at Donnington, too... 😕🙂

image.png.9657b9a74ceb47cdcc8641f494b92f15.png

Erm...oh. 

• Haha 1