Why become a member? ×

Basses you wish you hadn't sold

andyaber

My old Fender American Standard P bass from 1998 is the one for me.

Feck knows why I sold it, a moment of madness for sure. I sold it via The Bass Gallery on a commission sale.

If you have it and fancy selling it back to me I would appreciate that please!

FullFront copy.jpg

SerialNo copy.jpg

Cimar "1905" model Jazz bass from 1975. Ash body, maple neck.  Bought for £40 about ten years ago. 
Done up and sold to a mate who was after a bass... only when it went did I realise how fun it was to play. Mate realised it too. 

It was odd, I had loads of basses that were "better" but there was something about that instrument that was just really enjoyable to play. 

• Like 1

I have some remorse over a number of basses I have owned and moved on for what seemed like perfectly rational reasons, by which I mean rational seen through the GAS lens.

The one I genuinely kick myself about is this early ACG fretless bass.  I'd buy it back in an instant.

1821635923_ACGGraftFLBlk01.JPG.aa68d2509af96936bdd336b4e3d4f675.JPG

• Like 1

2 basses if i may.

1... nothing at all to do with the value,  from the 2nd week i sold it i missed it like hell and right now could really do with it, i sold it because was not in that kind of band any more and still had my main wal ( which i still have) so thought the midi side was not needed any more.

i was in a Trio years ago, the drummer played electronic drums and keyboards in parts and backing vocals, and did the lights on a home made board, all these 240v home made switches at his hi hat foot, something that no one but him dare touch, scared the fu@k outta me, you could see the copper cores ends going into all these switches ( really ! ) love to see the risk assessment on that now, the singer was his brother who played guitar, i played midi bass keys, percussion, vibes, synth bass and of course bass and backing vocals. when we played at hendersons pub in blackpool on a two band showcase night to try and get on his books for the then branigans chain, the band who was also there accused us of using midi files and even hendersons staff whos office was upstairs i think, came to look but it was all the drummer and my wal midi bass, great little treo that was, so... i used that quite a bit live with all sorts of things but mainly a roland D110, great piano for "let me entertain you" but yea wish i still had that,

i dont think anyone ever used that bass to its full potential, once you really get into it it was just... expansive.

i can't afford to get it back now even if i did see it for sale, for me a real shame. but i really really do miss that for lots of reasons.

2... when the stylistics were playing in liverpool in the late 80s maybe early 90s, i had arranged to meet the bass player to swap my JayDee super for a pre stingray slab body natural, this was a pre order from musicman, prob one of the first few hundred i would think, which i also used allot, that stingray really had its own thing going on not like any other stingray i have had since, i now know its all in a bid to get that sound feel back again, and there has been a fair few but non ever the same. iv got some vids of that one, still got the custom built preamp the my friend a electronics wizz made for me to go in, which is another world  in terms of design,, so thats the other.

now.... i can prob afford to get that stingray back if i see it for sale, so alls not lost. we will see

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 1

There are quite a few. Not that they're better than what I have now, but GAS is a never ending struggle... 

Lakland Joe Osborne Ltd Ed. It sounded SO GOOD, but it had a skinny jazz neck that made my hand cramp... But it sounded SO GOOD! 

Dingwall AB1 (whalepool burst with blacked headstock and neck pocket). Can't think why I sold that one. Would have it back in a heartbeat now, more because if I still had it I probably wouldn't be hankering after a D-roc 5 string so much... 

Wal mk1 Custom. Didn't really like it, but look what they're going for nowadays! 

Squier SQ Precision that I bought for buttons and sold for 2.5 times as much. Sounded brilliant. But I made the mistake of playing it next to a 64/65 P bass which made it sound and feel like a toy. Sold it the next week. Missed it pretty much immediately... 

ACG Recurve 4 string. I'm terrible for wavering back and forth between 4 and 5 strings. This went when in favour of keeping my 5 string ACG... Should have kept it! It's still around here somewhere (or possibly the Facebook ACG group, I can't recall right now). Wouldn't be the first time I've bought a bass back... 

ACG "cricket club" Finn P bass. I did buy this one back, but it's seen minimal attention since and I think there's a cull coming that it won't survive. 

Warwick Corvette 4. Lovely bubinga body and wenge neck. Sold my Wal and replaced it with this. Sold it when I was a bit strapped for cash. Unfortunately Warwicks were a bit out of fashion at the time and it went for 300 quid... I was going to say I've never let as good a bass go for so little money, but the Squier SQ above sold for less...

My original Infinette (front right of pic) which I got from the Bass Doc in Newcastle.  I bought an Overwater 5 string off Dave Wilson (the go to man in the North for refinishing) to do a swap for the Infinette as that was the only trade the guy would do.  I had it for many years and foolishly sold it to a guy in Canada as he made me a buy price offer that I couldn't refuse!  I'd recognise my bass anywhere even if the pups have been taken out (which were custom order Wizard pups).  I still have the other one BUT the one on the right was 1lb lighter!  I almost bought it back from a shop in the USA a few years back but by the time I'd communicated with the shop and got shipping quotes etc, it had sold.  I'd buy it back tomorrow.  

DSC04076-2.jpg.5c507cf77356c428b49faad560397fc4.jpg

• Like 2

Let's see.  Three, I think.

#1 Travis Bean 2000.  #222.  Part exchanged for an Ibanez bass about 35 years ago.  I know where it is (Oxford).  Regret, yes (albeit selfishly from the perspective of how much it's worth now), but would I want it back?  Probably not.

#2 MusicMan Bongo 5HH.  Kind of metallic orange.  Sold here, no idea where that is. 

#3 White Gibson Thunderbird.  My first Thunderbird (imported from Japan).; Babicz bridge.  I (stupidly) sold it to @police squad to fund one of the Lulls, he sold it soon after to someone here.  I can't remember who.  That's about the only one I'd like back.

FB_IMG_1478173812175.thumb.jpg.26c54e74f98dc240858aec1a1873d3bd.jpg

Edited by NancyJohnson

I kind of regret moving on the one in my avatar pic. I was so intent on shifting everything to do with my last band as in general I no longer needed it all, but it had a good amount of authentic road wear on it which I really liked. Maybe I shouldn’t have been so eager.

• Like 1

Sei Flamboyant 5 string. It was a stunning instrument -- I mean, just look at it -- but I couldn't get the setup right, so in a fit of pique I sold it. What a stupid, stupid move. Piezo bridge, Schack eq, Bart pickups (wasn't super-keen on them, but that's an easy fix), blue edge LEDs and a whole forest of stunning walnut. I should have given it to a luthier and got them to do it properly, hell I should have taken it home to Camden -- a decent setup and a set of Delanos and it would have been simply perfect. It was beautifully made, felt great to play (apart from my crap set-up job) and the sound was to die for. I often kick myself, very hard, for letting that one go. Arrrgh.

Ouch (just kicked myself again).

image.png.d9712b4a7c56e88b26deb48995c7bd12.png

• Like 3

'63 Jazz, Sunburst with rosewood finger board...best playing bass I have every even picked up...period. Sold to finance life at one point...stupid!

'68 Fretless P bass..maple FB...sold to finance the next one..

Gibson RD Artist...Maple with Maple FB. Heavy beast but a fantastic gigging instrument. You could get a great sound out of this no matter the room or the amp. Downside was the shielding...it tended to pick up radio signals in the middle of a gig. Also sold to finance life.  

Honorable mention goes to how stupid I was to sell a MusicMan Head....SS with tube preamp...lovely bit of kit. 

22 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

You sold this? 😲 .......and NOT to me! 😲 😁🤣...why oh why?...lol

The new owner is a really good guy and I see his posts quite a lot on Facebook, but it pains me as I put so much work in to that bass. It's a Dingwall one of a kind in many ways. The half Pickguard was my idea that I discussed with Sheldon Dingwall and received his blessing. The pickups in the bass weren't even available at the time too!

• Like 1