Why become a member? ×

Basses you wish you hadn't sold

andyaber

Apologies if I'm repeating an existing thread.  But...

I'll start the ball rolling with...

Aria  Precise, a beautiful precision copy, in the late 70's early 80's.

Wal fretless pro bass in the mid 80's.  Sold for a few hundred quid to fund a kitchen ceiling!

What do you still have nightmares about selling?

Think this has been done before but happy to add my own.

1970's Fender Jazz maple neck with brown body 

WAL custom fretless

Aria Pro SB1000

Shergold twin neck 4 & 8 string basses.

All of them from late 70's to late 80's, See pics below.

Dave

105608092_GypsiesKiss-HeatheryBarTamRichardDavie(2).jpg.7f5b7c1885c7053f7d1f48e8b38948d0.jpg1244539857_WALcustomfretless(flamesycamore).jpg.0cf536e2014287ca98959319ccbc067a.jpg913462333_MeSilverburn.thumb.jpg.3b35b2bacdbd8ca1e244036ecbd5f638.jpg282051629_Shergold4twinneck..jpg.72a600c0d4983019617f9822102707fe.jpg

• Like 3

My Fender AVRI 58 P in 3TSB. Killer bass but had to sell it to finance a Spector which I don't have anymore either.

481498395_10.FenderAVRI58P3TSB.thumb.jpg.852f8cf15db077d6b79cecf4d0831c88.jpg

I also had a nice EBMM Cutlass in diamond blue. Sold it to, yes you guessed correctly, finance a Spector bass (which I still have).

Fortunately, I got another Cutlass in coral red recently that will stay (until, well, you know what ;- ) 

Sounds ridiculous but a Squier P Special (LH). Was my first bass and had everything I subsequently looked for (and not completely found)

Lightweight, P sound, J neck. Went to Cash Converters for a song. Serious sellers remorse on that one. Just didn't like the godawful Antique Burst it came with but in hindsight for the sentimental value overall I should've refinished it.

I wouldn’t say I’ve lost any sleep over any that I’ve sold but there are a few I miss a little:

1980 Ibanez Musician 8-string  - was never very useful to me but it was awfully cool

1976 Ibanez “Silver Series” P-bass copy with P/J pickups - sold to a friend for next to nothing because his son was learning to play. I didn’t realize at the time what a good bass it was. His son became an excellent player so I don’t feel too bad about it 

Mid-1980s ESP fretless P-bass with P/J pickups - kept the neck and sold the body. Big mistake; it was better on that body than any it’s been on since

Out of more than a dozen instruments I’ve sold these are the only ones I miss, and not really that much, so I guess I’m doing alright.