Why become a member? ×

Seymour Duncan Studio Compressor - does it squish?

40hz

Hello!

Just wondering if anyone had this pedal and can confirm whether it can get squishy to the point of being an effect. I'm not a fan of transparent compressors and prefer to use them almost as FX - a la Stuart Zender. Will this pedal get me in the ball park? Consensus online seems to say both yes and no!

Gosh, it's a while since I reviewed one (Youtube) but from memory, if you set the blend to 100% wet (as expected), it does go squishy, but maybe not as much as some that sometimes go a bit too far for useful bass sounds. I really rate this compressor and kinda wish I hung on to the one I bought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input, chaps. I went ahead and bought it on the strength the aforementioned video (excellent and how they should be done). I suppose if doesn't do it for me in the real world, I can send it back, or switch on my M-Pulse compressor at the same time and crush the signal into oblivion 🤔😂

Edited by 40hz
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions, surprising how little videos there are out there that demonstrate Compressors at full pelt. I kinda get most people want them to be transparent/subtle, but it makes it hard to figure out what ones would suit my needs!

Seymour Duncan should arrive tomorrow. I'll update once I've had a mess around with it!

1 minute ago, 40hz said:

Thanks for the suggestions, surprising how little videos there are out there that demonstrate Compressors at full pelt. I kinda get most people want them to be transparent/subtle, but it makes it hard to figure out what ones would suit my needs!

Seymour Duncan should arrive tomorrow. I'll update once I've had a mess around with it!

Then I will endeavour to remember to add some squish to my reviews! I'll take that as a tip :) - Indeed, I have a pedal here now that is on my review list for Bass Gear Magazine! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so . . . 

It doesn't squish 'quite' to the levels I was after (to be fair, excessive!) and is very transparent sounding. However, it is very refined and musical for a compressor, with an impressively low noise level. It does punch probably better than any compressor I've used, too. I preferred it to the Wampler Ego I had beforehand, so it's staying!

• Like 2

Over the lockdowns I ended up collecting 5 compressors 😁(Markbass Compressore, Origin Effects CB, TC Electronic Spectracomp, Xotic SP and the Seymour Duncan Studio Bass).

The easiest to get super squishy quickly is the previously mentioned Xotic, however IIRC the Markbass can get there easily also. Oh and the Spectracomp will no doubt be able to get there with either the correct tone print or a bit of editing 😁).

• Like 1

Try the Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer, even at its minimum setting it's massively squashed and you can dial in even more from there should you want it! I bet you could probably pick one up as cheap as chips on eBay to give it a go and see if it's squishy enough, and if it's not then your only other option is a steam roller 😀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Osiris said:

Try the Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer, even at its minimum setting it's massively squashed and you can dial in even more from there should you want it! I bet you could probably pick one up as cheap as chips on eBay to give it a go and see if it's squishy enough, and if it's not then your only other option is a steam roller 😀

I'm not surprised, I have an old Boss CS-1 somewhere that I seem to remember the sound being very squashed on.