Why become a member? ×

My Current Gang

Old Horse Murphy

So after a quite honestly disgraceful 2021 of buying and selling, followed by an equally disgraceful January 2022, I've arrived at this lot:

Back Row L-R: 2015 Thunderbird/Guild Starfire 1/ Hohner B2A (not fully working). 

Front Row L-R: Stingray 5 Special (strung with rounds)/ Stingray 5 Special (flats)/ 1989 US Fender P Bass (flats)/ 4003S/ Fender American Pro II P Bass (rounds)/ G&L CLF L-2000/ Custom Fretless.  

My Ibanez EHB1505MS is not included as I've put it up for sale. 

I spent a really nerdy day yesterday, cleaning and setting up this lot. I must say it was rather fun :)

I'd really like to think I'm done and ideally would like to lose a couple, although for the life of me I can't decide which ones. If anything, I've got a hankering for a lightweight G&L SB-1 but we'll see...

D3E406CF-B691-4DF3-A4BE-99321A76FB07.jpeg

• Like 22

8 minutes ago, Machines said:

If that were my collection, i'd be thinning them out (if required) based on duplication. There's 2 P basses and 2 Stingrays. The others look unique enough to be justified.

It's funny, because the ones I'd hypothetically let go of first are the B2A (once it's working) and the Guild, purely because l don't think I'll use them anywhere near as much as the others. The next would be the Thunderbird which would basically leave me mostly with variations on a theme. Given my history of basses that have come and gone though, that pretty much sums me up!

The Rays and the P basses are different enough for me with being strung with rounds and flats to justify keeping them (in my head at least). 

And then the whole ride begins again....

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

12 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Does each bass have a corresponding and matching hat?

That sounds quite sensible, you could probably spend a week trying out which bass goes best with which hat...best do that only once then label each hat with a corresponding bass 🤠

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

You would also have to check which tonefabrics the hats were made of.  I reckon wool with a P Bass would not be a good match.

Everyone knows the construction of the hat makes way more difference than the fabric, and lets not get into lined vs unlined hats.

• Haha 2

On 24/01/2022 at 12:14, Old Horse Murphy said:

So after a quite honestly disgraceful 2021 of buying and selling, followed by an equally disgraceful January 2022, I've arrived at this lot:

Back Row L-R: 2015 Thunderbird/Guild Starfire 1/ Hohner B2A (not fully working). 

Front Row L-R: Stingray 5 Special (strung with rounds)/ Stingray 5 Special (flats)/ 1989 US Fender P Bass (flats)/ 4003S/ Fender American Pro II P Bass (rounds)/ G&L CLF L-2000/ Custom Fretless.  

My Ibanez EHB1505MS is not included as I've put it up for sale. 

I spent a really nerdy day yesterday, cleaning and setting up this lot. I must say it was rather fun :)

I'd really like to think I'm done and ideally would like to lose a couple, although for the life of me I can't decide which ones. If anything, I've got a hankering for a lightweight G&L SB-1 but we'll see...

D3E406CF-B691-4DF3-A4BE-99321A76FB07.jpeg

Lovely 😎 - interesting you’ve strung the maple board Stingray Special with flats. How does it compare with the rosewood(or is it ebony??)/natural/ roundwound combination?

15 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Lovely 😎 - interesting you’ve strung the maple board Stingray Special with flats. How does it compare with the rosewood(or is it ebony??)/natural/ roundwound combination?

Well spotted! It actually came already strung with Flats, but after the laying it for a while it was suffering with a bit of the "old G-String off the edge of the fingerboard" due to the lower tension in the strings (and my sloppy technique). So, I flipped the strings around and the Natural/Rosewood (which doesn't suffer as much) wears the Flats and the Green Machine wears the Rounds. 

I also took time to try the black pickguard on the green one too and think it really adds to the colour scheme so I've ordered a replacement black one for it. 

5080CE15-CFF9-4AF4-90EF-AEB23BD4BE42.jpeg

3431BC87-A4C1-4A82-AFB0-042D89A74D2F.jpeg

• Like 2