Stingray Special vs. Yamaha BBP34  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which bass sound do you prefer?

• BBP34 both pickups on
    • BBP34 only P pickup on
    • Stingray

On 24/01/2022 at 11:35, la bam said:

You make them both sound excellent!

I cant believe how much that yamaha sounds like a p bass. Great stuff.

Yep I thought it sounded great on just the P pickup, especially with the playing/bassline with a pick part.

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting how these basses compare when listening in different headphones or speakers, sometimes the BB sounds more solid and articulated and in another speaker it's the Stingray! Another somewhat interesting find: I posted this in another well known bass forum as well, and there it seemed the BB with both pickups on was the most preferred while it seems to be the least preferred here (not that many votes here though). Different continents like different sounds? 

I like all three and if I was completely honest would not vote...but I did, for the BB P pickup.

I think they all sound great but that P pickup tone is just so awesome, it really makes you sit up in your chair.

The thing with the Stingray is that the tone is so easily identifiable and sounds so cool but I really think that the P and PJ tones of the BB are just more useful across more types of music.

Actualy I wish I hadn't watched this video as my GAS is starting to rise again and I thought I had beaten it. Damn.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Both sound great, but in a sense their is no comparison because they are so radically different sonically. 

Some very tasty and tidy playing there too, if I might say.

Love this playing as well. I tried out this pro-level BB at Bass Direct, and was blown away by the quality and feel of it, and I've heard on these videos the same bass doing a superb jazz & precision tone. 

Great comparison video - all sounds great. However, I must say the Stingray sound appears far more refined than the Yamaha sound, and particularly with the Yamaha in P pick up only mode - that’s probably more a general comment on a P pick up sound than the way the Yamaha achieves it - which it does very well IMO. 

1 hour ago, Johncee said:

To me, the Yamaha seems a little louder. Comparisons are tricky when levels aren't matched.

You are definitely right, but in my defence it is also quite difficult to level match. What is perceived as being louder is often different to the actual db, so I compromise. For example a sound with bigger peaks (such as the Ray) will read as being louder than it sounds. If I do this again I will try to avoid looking at meters and only use my ears!

I agree with the earlier comment that neither sounds "better.....just different", at least in the context of these mixes. 

The exceptions to this are the section where you use a pick, though; the Yamaha sounds actually better to me when using a pick and the Stingray sounds better on the pulls.

Otherwise, they were a selection of great bass sounds and some nice playing.

On 03/03/2022 at 12:52, FDC484950 said:

The reality is that the bass is very high in the mix and the backing is sparse. Seated properly in a track you might be hard pressed to hear any significant difference. And none of the settings sound “better” to my ears - just different. 

This ☝️Not better just different. The different sounds would be appropriate in different musical situations