Why become a member? ×

Epiphone EB-0, thoughts? (especially about neck dive)

mcnach

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Took it to rehearsal.

Well, it was a limited editions Epiphone Custom Shop one - not sure what was different aside from the tug bar.

Looks absolutely glorious, but weighs a tone and still has some neck dive (I could cope if I really liked it). The mudbucker was just too dark and thumpy for me.

Afraid I swapped back to my Embassy which is a lot lighter, better balanced and sounded way better.

The band agreed the EB3 looked incredible, but the neck pickup just didn't sound right. Might be OK for a Cream tribute. 😞

Is that a short scale jobby?

19 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Took it to rehearsal.

Well, it was a limited editions Epiphone Custom Shop one - not sure what was different aside from the tug bar.

Looks absolutely glorious, but weighs a tone and still has some neck dive (I could cope if I really liked it). The mudbucker was just too dark and thumpy for me.

Afraid I swapped back to my Embassy which is a lot lighter, better balanced and sounded way better.

The band agreed the EB3 looked incredible, but the neck pickup just didn't sound right. Might be OK for a Cream tribute. 😞

They're definitely a bit of an acquired taste, I suppose. I could not imagine having one of those as my only bass. 

I don't have the Artec pickup but I've got eveything else that I wanted to play with.

1) Replaced tuners with a set of ultralites, and chose the smaller clover tuners which I think look better in a short scale bass, and removes a bit more weight.

2) Replaced bridge with a Hipshot.

3) D'Addario black nylon tapewounds.

The bass balances pretty well now, no neck dive. The Hipshot bridge allows you to widen the spacing between strings a little bit. Not as much as I would have liked, as there's still space on the fretboard, but that little bit makes it a little nicer to play for my liking. It was nice to lose the original very thin roundwounds, the black nylons suit this bass very well. I had to widen the nut slots a tiny bit, a few minutes and a bit of care with a nut file and that was it. 

I kept the electronics original so far, as I want to wait until I get the new pickup... but simply putting on a set of tapes improved the sound significantly.

Anyway, no soundclips but here are a couple of pictures. It'd look a bit better if the pickup cover were black but hey...

IMG_20220211_220114.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20220211_220255.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20220211_220556.jpg?dl=1

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

I don't have the Artec pickup but I've got eveything else that I wanted to play with.

1) Replaced tuners with a set of ultralites, and chose the smaller clover tuners which I think look better in a short scale bass, and removes a bit more weight.

2) Replaced bridge with a Hipshot.

3) D'Addario black nylon tapewounds.

The bass balances pretty well now, no neck dive. The Hipshot bridge allows you to widen the spacing between strings a little bit. Not as much as I would have liked, as there's still space on the fretboard, but that little bit makes it a little nicer to play for my liking. It was nice to lose the original very thin roundwounds, the black nylons suit this bass very well. I had to widen the nut slots a tiny bit, a few minutes and a bit of care with a nut file and that was it. 

I kept the electronics original so far, as I want to wait until I get the new pickup... but simply putting on a set of tapes improved the sound significantly.

Anyway, no soundclips but here are a couple of pictures. It'd look a bit better if the pickup cover were black but hey...

IMG_20220211_220114.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20220211_220255.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20220211_220556.jpg?dl=1

Once the Artec arrives try it and if its a keeper then check if the Epiphone pickup cover fits it so that you have a spare if needed and if it does then maybe spray paint the Epiphone pickup cover, if it looks crap then you still have a spare cover anyway, if it looks good then great

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

Once the Artec arrives try it and if its a keeper then check if the Epiphone pickup cover fits it so that you have a spare if needed and if it does then maybe spray paint the Epiphone pickup cover, if it looks crap then you still have a spare cover anyway, if it looks good then great

Epi cover on an Artec pickup... Edit to add - the bar with the pole-pieces can easily be swapped over.
1128991151_EpicoveronArtec.jpg.502462c2b7dd0e4a76ddbf0a40f12364.jpg

I painted a spare Epi cover black for my Elitist EB3....
Babicz.thumb.JPG.13e5803d46913f88f865e3146cddd272.JPG

Edited by goingdownslow
  • Like 3

I had some matt black vinyl that is suitable for wrapping... so I thought I'd have a go wrapping the pickup cover. 

It's not perfect, but it only took a few minutes and I learnt a few things in the process, so I'll do the same to the Artec and it'll look a bit better. But even my first attempt is passable (I think!)

IMG_20220213_142748.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20220213_142853.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20220213_142925.jpg?dl=1

• Like 8

Got a wee recording session later today (just a demo of a song we're writing) and I am going to use this bass for it. Even without a 'proper' mudbucker [*] this bass sounds pretty nice and deep with the nylon tapewounds. I don't love it at volume, but it doesn't sound bad while recording. It does a reasonable old school reggae noise.

[*] This is what the stock pickup looks like. It's the right kind of design, just nowhere near as hotly wound as a proper mudbucker.

IMG_20220213_122323897_2.jpg?dl=1

Artec pickup arrived!

It has two bar magnets, I thought there were four? At least they seem to be mounted in the correct orientation.

The stock pickup sounded alright on Sunday. We recorded a couple of demo tracks. It was not exactly the sound I expect from a 'mudbucker', but having never owned one I am not sure how far my expectations are from reality. It sounded nice. The nylon tapes really suit this bass.

I'll give the Artec pickup a go at the weekend. After I vinyl wrap the cover too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Artec pickup arrived!

It has two bar magnets, I thought there were four? At least they seem to be mounted in the correct orientation.

The stock pickup sounded alright on Sunday. We recorded a couple of demo tracks. It was not exactly the sound I expect from a 'mudbucker', but having never owned one I am not sure how far my expectations are from reality. It sounded nice. The nylon tapes really suit this bass.

I'll give the Artec pickup a go at the weekend. After I vinyl wrap the cover too.

As long as they are able to magnetise the pole pieces it should not make any difference, the most important thing is the wind, I would test the dc resistance with a multimeter and as long as it is in the 30k range or close you should be all good

Not happy.

My multimeter had ran out of batteries, and I only just managed to get today the MN21 type it requires.

I checked the pickup and it's 1.2 KOhm, not 29-30 as advertised.

To cut the story short, I received exactly the same pickup it's already on the Epiphone: 

- slightly narrower polepiece spacing than the Artec should be, and identical to the stock one down to the marks on the magnets.

- 2 magnets rather than 4 (it may not make much difference, but it's evidence of it not being the pickup advertised

- 2 wires rather than 4 (I don't really care as I will only use series, but... again it looks like the stock pickup)

- no sticker with the model number, which the Artecs have

It's going back.

Following with interest.  I was looking at acquiring an Epi EB3 and giving it the full Novak pickups/Gibson style electronics/bridge upgrades.  When I added it all up it was a fair old amount of dosh so ended up looking out for a preloved Gibson SG and if it was one without the Babicz bridge (Gibson added these as std in 2015 for a short time) changing that when I found a preloved one.  Bass sorted recently bridge on its way to me.

This may be on interest to folks thinking about doing some or all of this.  https://www.guitar-mod.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=65bac5aa40e44a979170c093070ec132&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RG_EB3

Edited by ead
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mcnach said:

Not happy.

My multimeter had ran out of batteries, and I only just managed to get today the MN21 type it requires.

To cut the story short, I received exactly the same pickup it's already on the Epiphone: 

- slightly narrower polepiece spacing than the Artec should be, and identical to the stock one down to the marks on the magnets.

- 2 magnets rather than 4 (it may not make much difference, but it's evidence of it not being the pickup advertised

- 2 wires rather than 4 (I don't really care as I will only use series, but... again it looks like the stock pickup)

It's going back.

That's a real shame, sounds like they sent you the wrong pickup, from the above or doesn't sound at all like it is the Artec

23 hours ago, mcnach said:

Not happy.

It's going back.

That's a real shame, sounds like they sent you the wrong pickup, from the above or doesn't sound at all like it is the Artec

18 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

It definitely isn't. Now that I've seen the stock pickup in my bass I can confirm it's the same pickup that they sent me.

I guess the seller just bought a few to sell on and copied the description based on what he thought he had. He didn't contest, I just printed the return label and will be posted tomorrow.

Meanwhile I ordered another Artec from a different place, but it's going to take 3-4 weeks.

I have to say that since I put a set of nylon tapewounds it sounds a lot better. 

On 23/02/2022 at 16:44, mcnach said:

It definitely isn't. Now that I've seen the stock pickup in my bass I can confirm it's the same pickup that they sent me.

I guess the seller just bought a few to sell on and copied the description based on what he thought he had. He didn't contest, I just printed the return label and will be posted tomorrow.

Meanwhile I ordered another Artec from a different place, but it's going to take 3-4 weeks.

I have to say that since I put a set of nylon tapewounds it sounds a lot better. 

Its a good thing you had a multi-meter to test it with otherwise you might not have known, personally I was not a fan of the stock Epiphone EB0 pickup as the low dc resistance makes it sound kind of weak, I found that tapes and flats made it sound a tonne better

On 25/02/2022 at 10:36, shoulderpet said:

Its a good thing you had a multi-meter to test it with otherwise you might not have known, personally I was not a fan of the stock Epiphone EB0 pickup as the low dc resistance makes it sound kind of weak, I found that tapes and flats made it sound a tonne better

Yeah, I would have been very confused "but, but... it sounds just like it did before!" :D

The pickup I returned arrived with the seller on Saturday. Today I got a notification from eBay: it looks like the seller has re-advertised it, still advertised as 30 kOhm and showing pictures with 4 conductors etc, definitely not looking like the pickup I was sent :shrug: 

If you want an Artec mudbucker... probably best if you don't buy from 'eastensound2018' 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I give up.

New "Artec" pickup arrived from a different source (no Artec model labels or anything). It looks slightly different from the previous pickup, but it's still a 1.2 KOhm one.

I won't try again.

AliExpress%20Artec%20pickup,%20not%20cor

OMG Again!!!! Man I am whizzed for you, I would try Retrovibe

https://retrovibe.co.uk/product/artec-ebc4-cr-mudbucker-30k-for-eb3-eb0-project-bass-pickup/

13 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

OMG Again!!!! Man I am whizzed for you, I would try Retrovibe

https://retrovibe.co.uk/product/artec-ebc4-cr-mudbucker-30k-for-eb3-eb0-project-bass-pickup/

I've gone off the idea, to be honest. Everybody seems to advertise something but then it isn't. 

I am considering an alternative evil plan, but no mudbuckers, the universe says no. :shrug:

27 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I've gone off the idea, to be honest. Everybody seems to advertise something but then it isn't. 

I am considering an alternative evil plan, but no mudbuckers, the universe says no. :shrug:

How much work are you considering putting into this? 

On the Gibson Les paul tribute short scale under the pickup cover they have wired 2 single coil P pickups (like the 51 p bass) together in series, might be a cool idea if you can find a couple of single coils that will fit under the pickup cover

https://youtu.be/qkp0unbtYsE?t=550

Edited by shoulderpet

• 1 year later...

@mcnach thread revival! Do you remember the model name of your tuners? I have an EB0 with a Retrovibe pickup and a brass nut. Thinking of getting a push pull installed or something, or possibly a diMarzio. It definitely needs new tuners to stop the neck dive.

An extremely comfortable bass guitar to play. I prefer the bolt on neck.

• 2 weeks later...

So pleased to see EB0s and EB3s being talked about (though late to the party). I really like the Jack Bruce look but in my experience the modern versions seem quite seriously underpowered. I had a Gibson SG bass (one of their anniversary issue from a few years back). It was beautiful in matt brushed cherry. But I had to move it on because it had no power or oomph at all. OK, it's passive. So you could say that's an issue with the amplification. But I was so disappointed. In the end I bought an ESP Viper which has an EB style body twisted a smidgeon to give it a 'contemporary' feel. Now that has loads of clout.

20230129_094317.jpg

Edited by Kitsto