Why become a member? ×

Epiphone EB-0, thoughts? (especially about neck dive)

mcnach

On and off for nearly a year now I find myself wanting that 'mudbucker' at the neck kind of sound.

I would have bought an Epiphone EB-3 if it wasn't because every single one I tried suffers from terrible neck dive. 

I've toyed with the idea of putting a mudbucker on one of my 'experiment' basses: I'd get a bass that I already like, with hopefully the kind of sound I'm looking for. But it seems too much of a faff, so I am not sure. At this point I just want to play and not routing etc.

Incredibly I just noticed that the EB-0 is actually short scale (30.5"), and not just the single pickup version of the EB-3. I think the short scale may actually alleviate enough the neck dive and I might enjoy it. I prefer long scale basses but having a little short scale bass is not a bad idea either.

Not finding any used ones locally, I might just order one new and see. They're only a bit over 200 quid.

Have you owned/played one? What are your thoughts about it?

preview.jpg

41 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

Just what do you like about them?

The sound. 

Those mudbucker style pickups placed right by the neck have a really cool sound that's hard to replicate with anything else. A bit 'niche', but it's an interesting sound. Quite nice for some old school reggae too.

That's what I like. But I have never played one. I'm interested in how people find it balances. That design is very prone to neck dive, although the short scale should go some way to reduce it compared to the long scale EB-3 models (the only ones I've tried). Reviews seem mixed and more than a few talk about their EB-3 when people asked about the EB-0, hence my question here.

Have you played an EB-0?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

The sound. 

Those mudbucker style pickups placed right by the neck have a really cool sound that's hard to replicate with anything else. A bit 'niche', but it's an interesting sound. Quite nice for some old school reggae too.

That's what I like. But I have never played one. I'm interested in how people find it balances. That design is very prone to neck dive, although the short scale should go some way to reduce it compared to the long scale EB-3 models (the only ones I've tried). Reviews seem mixed and more than a few talk about their EB-3 when people asked about the EB-0, hence my question here.

Have you played an EB-0?

Sure, EB-0, EB-3...Gibsons, Epiphones too.

Even this, which I once considered buying.

avux7bxd3mp3lo7db84d.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

The sound. 

Have you played an EB-0?

As for neck dive, easily solved with some golfer's tape and a seat-belt pad.

FB_IMG_1620910386248.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk

4 hours ago, stu_g said:

hey i have just seen this one on gumtree this is the shortscake EB3

Epiphone Bass | in Darvel, East Ayrshire | Gumtree

Oh thank you! :)

How do you know it's a shortscale EB-3?

Is it the dots instead of trapezoid fingerboard markers?

Attractive! It's a bit of a treck for me 'though, a 3 hour round trip... hmmm.

2 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

As for neck dive, easily solved with some golfer's tape and a seat-belt pad.

FB_IMG_1620910386248.jpg

Interesting approach.

I've heard of people putting car wheel weights inside the control cavity as well. 

The idea of adding weight is not very attractive, but these basses are quite light to start with so I suppose it works. Thanks.

• Like 1

This may he completely unrelated but I have both an epi and Gibson SG (6 string) and the neckdive is much worse on the epiphone. I think it's because the body is much thinner and therefore lighter but I don't have much of an issue with the Gibson. Obviously the basses may be different and all that but that's my experience

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

Interesting approach.

I've heard of people putting car wheel weights inside the control cavity as well. 

The idea of adding weight is not very attractive, but these basses are quite light to start with so I suppose it works. Thanks.

You're welcome.

Not my own idea but they stopped making these four or five years ago, so.. 

PhotoCollage_20211031_011159390.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bassmidget209 said:

This may he completely unrelated but I have both an epi and Gibson SG (6 string) and the neckdive is much worse on the epiphone. I think it's because the body is much thinner and therefore lighter but I don't have much of an issue with the Gibson. Obviously the basses may be different and all that but that's my experience

Yes, the thinner body and larger tuning pegs on the basses definitely contribute. Not sure about the guitar tuners. 

The jury is out about the Epi EB-0. Some seem to think theirs balances ok, and others don't but 'fix' it with a relatively small change in weight: typically adding weights but some replacing the tuning pegs too. Seems a bit of a lottery.

Well, I'll let you all know...

I went and ordered an EB-0. They're cheap enough and the returns policy is easy... It should be with me on Wednesday/Thursday and it won't take me long to decide if this particular example is worth it or not.

I wish that short-scale black EB-3 were nearer, I'd much prefer to try it in person but these basses are nowhere as common as Precisions... ah well.

1 hour ago, howdenspur said:

Just a thought, Vintage make a short scale EB3 copy - the VS4. I've never played one, but they look decent - Wilkinson hardware too. 

In fact, is this reviewer our own @Dood?

it IS I! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mcnach said:

Well, I'll let you all know...

I went and ordered an EB-0. They're cheap enough and the returns policy is easy... It should be with me on Wednesday/Thursday and it won't take me long to decide if this particular example is worth it or not.

I wish that short-scale black EB-3 were nearer, I'd much prefer to try it in person but these basses are nowhere as common as Precisions... ah well.

I really don't need another bass, but if I ever see this one for sale again, even for a few hundred more than the original price, I'll jump on it!

NEGeb3.jpg

16 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

I really don't need another bass, but if I ever see this one for sale again, even for a few hundred more than the original price, I'll jump on it!

NEGeb3.jpg

Not if I get to it first! 😝 I love it!

I saw one of those for sale a while ago. The only one I've ever come across. They must be pretty rare. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

I would budget for a mudbucker, the stock pickup in the Epi EB0 looks like one but is not

I have an old '71 Antoria short scale EB-3 and swapped both stock Maxon pickups for Artec ones.  Stupidly cheap but a massively more mudbuckery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Not if I get to it first! 😝 I love it!

I saw one of those for sale a while ago. The only one I've ever come across. They must be pretty rare. 

I have to believe they're truly limited edition basses. I don't even see them on Canadian sites.

5 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

I would budget for a mudbucker, the stock pickup in the Epi EB0 looks like one but is not

That's another confusing aspect. I understand they have the sidewinder design, but their DC resistance measures at around 12 Kohm, rather than 30 Kohm.

In terms of sound, what are the implications? How would you compare both pickups? I know it's hard to describe sound...

I realise I may have never heard a 'real' mudbucker up close and personal, as I have only played less than a handful of Epi EB-3 (I do like their sound). 

I see that Artec have some proper mudbuckers and are cheap, but I read too many stories about hum too.

9 hours ago, mcnach said:

Did you have any trouble installing the Artec? 

The bridge pup was a drop in, the neck Maxon was a different size to the Artec, which needed some fettling to fit into the rout and a new pickguard - but by all accounts the Artec mudbucker is a drop in for Epiphone and Gibson. The dimensions are there on the Artec site somewhere.

• Like 1